* migrating from metadata 0.9 to 1.0 before growing?
@ 2012-02-24 10:38 Lars Täuber
From: Lars Täuber @ 2012-02-24 10:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-raid

Hi there.

I have a RAID6 using disks in an external SATA enclosure.
Now I started to exchange the disks with others twice as big as the ones the
RAID was originally created with.
The RAID uses metadata version 0.9.

Now I'm thinking about switching to format 1.0 this way:

* exchange all disks with the bigger ones piece by piece
  (-f old -r old -a new)
* wait for rebuild of last disk
* recreate RAID with --assume-clean and --metadata 1.0 and the same disks in
  the correct order

The --grow shouldn't be necessary this way.
Then I grow the filesystem.

Is this precedure possible without data loss?
Or is there a way a metadata version migration could be done more easily?

Thanks
Lars

* Re: migrating from metadata 0.9 to 1.0 before growing?
@ 2012-02-28 16:36 ` Lars Täuber
From: Lars Täuber @ 2012-02-28 16:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-raid

@ 2012-02-29  1:29 ` NeilBrown
From: NeilBrown @ 2012-02-29  1:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Täuber; +Cc: linux-raid

On Fri, 24 Feb 2012 11:38:21 +0100 Lars Täuber <taeuber@bbaw.de> wrote:

> Hi there.
>
> I have a RAID6 using disks in an external SATA enclosure.
> Now I started to exchange the disks with others twice as big as the ones the
> RAID was originally created with.
> The RAID uses metadata version 0.9.
>
> Now I'm thinking about switching to format 1.0 this way:
>
> * exchange all disks with the bigger ones piece by piece
>   (-f old -r old -a new)
> * wait for rebuild of last disk
> * recreate RAID with --assume-clean and --metadata 1.0 and the same disks in
>   the correct order
>
> The --grow shouldn't be necessary this way.
> Then I grow the filesystem.
>
> Is this precedure possible without data loss?
> Or is there a way a metadata version migration could be done more easily?

Yes, this should work.  There is no better way.

NeilBrown

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: migrating from metadata 0.9 to 1.0 before growing?
@ 2012-04-19 14:20   ` Lars Täuber
From: Lars Täuber @ 2012-04-19 14:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-raid

Hi Neil,

Am Wed, 29 Feb 2012 12:29:06 +1100
NeilBrown <neilb@suse.de> schrieb:
> On Fri, 24 Feb 2012 11:38:21 +0100 Lars TÀuber <taeuber@bbaw.de> wrote:
>
> > Hi there.
> >
> > I have a RAID6 using disks in an external SATA enclosure.
> > Now I started to exchange the disks with others twice as big as the ones
> > the RAID was originally created with.
> > The RAID uses metadata version 0.9.
> >
> > Now I'm thinking about switching to format 1.0 this way:
> >
> > * exchange all disks with the bigger ones piece by piece
> >   (-f old -r old -a new)
> > * wait for rebuild of last disk
> > * recreate RAID with --assume-clean and --metadata 1.0 and the same disks
> > in the correct order
> >
> > The --grow shouldn't be necessary this way.
> > Then I grow the filesystem.
> >
> > Is this precedure possible without data loss?
> > Or is there a way a metadata version migration could be done more easily?
>
> Yes, this should work.  There is no better way.

is it possible to change the chunk size while recreating the array to the new
default or do I have to stay with the 64kiB chunk size?

Because changing the chunk size afterwards might not be possible due to the
new chunk size not fitting in the used device size.

@ 2012-04-19 21:25     ` NeilBrown
From: NeilBrown @ 2012-04-19 21:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Täuber; +Cc: linux-raid