* Networking performance on a KVM Host (with no guests)
@ 2012-04-19  3:53 Chegu Vinod
From: Chegu Vinod @ 2012-04-19  3:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kvm

Hello,

Perhaps this query was answered in the past. If yes kindly point me to
the same.

We noticed differences in networking performance (measured via netperf
over a 10G  NIC) on an X86_64 server between the following two
configurations :

1) Server run as a KVM Host (but with no KVM guests created on it (or) no
extra  bridges created other than the default vibr0 bridge)

vs.

2) The same server running the same version of Linux but without any of the
virtualization software installed on it.

Config #2 performed much better !
Is this expected ? What are the reasons behind this ?

Is there any way to gain back the loss in performance on the KVM host
without having to uninstall the virtualization software (i.e. in Config 1).

Thanks!
Vinod