* [U-Boot] Undefined results when building highbank board
@ 2012-04-26 12:03 Wolfgang Denk
From: Wolfgang Denk @ 2012-04-26 12:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Dear Rob,

arch/arm/cpu/armv7/highbank/config.mk contains this setting:

	PLATFORM_CPPFLAGS += -march=armv7-a

This results in code bueing built with the follwoing compiler options:

        ... -march=armv5 -march=armv7-a ...

This is a bad idea - dependign on tool chain used, this may result in
compiler errors ("error: bad value (armv7-a) for -march= switch"), or
undefined behaviour, as it is not clear which option is used by the
compiler.

Can you please provide a fix?  Thanks!

Best regards,

Wolfgang Denk

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
The philosophy exam was a piece of cake  -  which  was  a  bit  of  a
surprise, actually, because I was expecting some questions on a sheet
of paper.

* [U-Boot] Undefined results when building highbank board
@ 2012-04-26 12:54 ` Rob Herring
From: Rob Herring @ 2012-04-26 12:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

On 04/26/2012 07:03 AM, Wolfgang Denk wrote:
> Dear Rob,
>
> arch/arm/cpu/armv7/highbank/config.mk contains this setting:
>
> 	PLATFORM_CPPFLAGS += -march=armv7-a
>
> This results in code bueing built with the follwoing compiler options:
>
>         ... -march=armv5 -march=armv7-a ...
>
> This is a bad idea - dependign on tool chain used, this may result in
> compiler errors ("error: bad value (armv7-a) for -march= switch"), or
> undefined behaviour, as it is not clear which option is used by the
> compiler.
>
> Can you please provide a fix?  Thanks!

The issue is I require a wfi assembly instruction for reset, so I would
have to hard code the machine code to work on all compilers.

Rob

@ 2012-04-26 20:33   ` Wolfgang Denk
From: Wolfgang Denk @ 2012-04-26 20:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Dear Rob Herring,

In message <4F99459F.4060500@gmail.com> you wrote:

> > Can you please provide a fix?  Thanks!
>
> The issue is I require a wfi assembly instruction for reset, so I would
> have to hard code the machine code to work on all compilers.

If it's only for this single instruction that thi sseems to be not so
bad an option.

Thanks.

Best regards,

Wolfgang Denk

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Computers are not intelligent.  They only think they are.