* auditctl exit code
@ 2012-05-11 12:20 Stephen Quinney
From: Stephen Quinney @ 2012-05-11 12:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-audit

I am using Linux Audit version 2.1.3 and I'm wondering if the
following behaviour of auditctl is intentional. When I do a complete
list of the current rules (with auditctl -l) I get an exit code of
zero, as expected. When I do a list which is restricted to a
particular key (auditctl -l -k foo) I get 255. It doesn't matter which
of my keys I use and there are no error messages sent to stderr to
indicate a problem. The auditctl manpage doesn't say what various exit
values mean so I'm not sure what type of error is occurring.

Stephen Quinney

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.

* Re: auditctl exit code
@ 2012-05-11 14:34 ` Steve Grubb
From: Steve Grubb @ 2012-05-11 14:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-audit

On Friday, May 11, 2012 08:20:06 AM Stephen Quinney wrote:
> I am using Linux Audit version 2.1.3 and I'm wondering if the
> following behaviour of auditctl is intentional.

No. I think its a bug in the code.

-Steve

> When I do a complete
> list of the current rules (with auditctl -l) I get an exit code of
> zero, as expected. When I do a list which is restricted to a
> particular key (auditctl -l -k foo) I get 255. It doesn't matter which
> of my keys I use and there are no error messages sent to stderr to
> indicate a problem. The auditctl manpage doesn't say what various exit
> values mean so I'm not sure what type of error is occurring.
>

> Stephen Quinney

* Re: auditctl exit code
@ 2012-05-15  0:03   ` Steve Grubb
From: Steve Grubb @ 2012-05-15  0:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-audit

On Friday, May 11, 2012 10:34:52 AM Steve Grubb wrote:
> On Friday, May 11, 2012 08:20:06 AM Stephen Quinney wrote:
> > I am using Linux Audit version 2.1.3 and I'm wondering if the
> > following behaviour of auditctl is intentional.
>
> No. I think its a bug in the code.

This should fix it:
https://fedorahosted.org/audit/changeset/694

-Steve

@ 2012-05-15  8:31     ` Stephen Quinney
From: Stephen Quinney @ 2012-05-15  8:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steve Grubb; +Cc: linux-audit

On Mon, May 14, 2012 at 08:03:27PM -0400, Steve Grubb wrote:
> On Friday, May 11, 2012 10:34:52 AM Steve Grubb wrote:
> > On Friday, May 11, 2012 08:20:06 AM Stephen Quinney wrote:
> > > I am using Linux Audit version 2.1.3 and I'm wondering if the
> > > following behaviour of auditctl is intentional.
> > >
> > > When I do a complete
> > > list of the current rules (with auditctl -l) I get an exit code of
> > > zero, as expected. When I do a list which is restricted to a
> > > particular key (auditctl -l -k foo) I get 255. It doesn't matter which
> > > of my keys I use and there are no error messages sent to stderr to
> > > indicate a problem. The auditctl manpage doesn't say what various exit
> > > values mean so I'm not sure what type of error is occurring.
> >
> > No. I think its a bug in the code.
>
> This should fix it:
> https://fedorahosted.org/audit/changeset/694

Thanks for the patch. I've just rebuilt the code with the patch
applied and it now works correctly.

Cheers,

Stephen

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.