* Integrating a new programming language into the kernel
@ 2012-05-13  2:00 Chris Jones
From: Chris Jones @ 2012-05-13  2:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Is it possible to implement a new programming language into the kernel?
And if so, how would I go about doing this?

Regards

Chris Jones

* Re: Integrating a new programming language into the kernel
@ 2012-05-14  0:43 ` H. Peter Anvin
From: H. Peter Anvin @ 2012-05-14  0:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Jones; +Cc: linux-kernel

On 05/12/2012 07:00 PM, Chris Jones wrote:
> Is it possible to implement a new programming language into the kernel?
> And if so, how would I go about doing this?

1. Yes.
2. Don't.

	-hpa

* Re: Integrating a new programming language into the kernel
@ 2012-05-14  3:57   ` Chris Jones
From: Chris Jones @ 2012-05-14  3:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel; +Cc: H. Peter Anvin

I'm curious as to why you suggest "no"?

And if it were to successfully eventuate and I were to do this, it
would only ever be a custom kernel. And that's why I'm curious as to
why you say to not do it.

Regards

Chris Jones

@ 2012-05-14  7:41     ` Greg KH
From: Greg KH @ 2012-05-14  7:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Jones; +Cc: linux-kernel, H. Peter Anvin

On Mon, May 14, 2012 at 01:57:31PM +1000, Chris Jones wrote:
> I'm curious as to why you suggest "no"?
>
> And if it were to successfully eventuate and I were to do this, it
> would only ever be a custom kernel. And that's why I'm curious as to
> why you say to not do it.

Try it and find out why he, and others, recommend not to do so :)

Best of luck,

greg k-h

* Re: Integrating a new programming language into the kernel
@ 2012-05-14  7:46     ` richard -rw- weinberger
From: richard -rw- weinberger @ 2012-05-14  7:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Jones; +Cc: linux-kernel, H. Peter Anvin

On Mon, May 14, 2012 at 5:57 AM, Chris Jones <chrisjones@spin.net.au> wrote:
> I'm curious as to why you suggest "no"?

BTW: Before you reinvent the wheel, this idea is not new.
E.g:
http://teaseme.sourceforge.net/

//richard

* Re: Integrating a new programming language into the kernel
@ 2012-05-14  8:28       ` Chris Jones
From: Chris Jones @ 2012-05-14  8:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Thanks, I will. It's all part of the hacking fun!

Cheers

Chris Jones