* Unifying device tree filenames, and U-Boot SoC name
@ 2012-05-16 17:44 ` Stephen Warren
From: Stephen Warren @ 2012-05-16 17:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
	linux-tegra-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA
  Cc: Allen Martin, Simon Glass

I just posted a patch which causes U-Boot to define some variables
describing which board you're running on:

http://lists.denx.de/pipermail/u-boot/2012-May/124556.html

In particular, see the description of that first patch for motivation
re: U-Boot scripts.

The one issue here is that the U-Boot SoC name for Tegra20 is tegra2
(hence it will define board_soc=tegra2), whereas the kernel's device
tree files are all tegra-*.dts not tegra2-*.dts.

I propose we fix this by:

a) In the kernel, renaming tegra*-${board}.dts to tegra20-${board}.dts
(or tegra30-${board}.dts). This appears to better match what most other
ARM sub-arches are doing anyway.

b) In U-Boot, rename the tegra2 support to tegra20 so that U-Boot ends
up setting board_soc=tegra20, so this matches the .dts/.dtb filenames.
This would involve renaming arch/arm/cpu/armv7/tegra2/ to
./arch/arm/cpu/armv7/tegra20/ and editing boards.cfg to match, and
possibly other related changes.

This sounds like churn, but I think we could easily fold this into
Allen's series that moves the tegra2 directory in order to put it in a
common place for separate SPL/non-SPL builds to avoid doing this kind of
thing multiple times.

Does anyone think this is a good/bad/... idea? Thanks.

* [U-Boot] Unifying device tree filenames, and U-Boot SoC name
@ 2012-05-16 17:44 ` Stephen Warren
From: Stephen Warren @ 2012-05-16 17:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

[...]

* Re: Unifying device tree filenames, and U-Boot SoC name
@ 2012-05-21 14:22     ` Thierry Reding
From: Thierry Reding @ 2012-05-21 14:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Warren
	linux-tegra-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA, Allen Martin, Simon Glass

* Stephen Warren wrote:
> I just posted a patch which causes U-Boot to define some variables
> describing which board you're running on:
>
> http://lists.denx.de/pipermail/u-boot/2012-May/124556.html
>
> In particular, see the description of that first patch for motivation
> re: U-Boot scripts.
>
> The one issue here is that the U-Boot SoC name for Tegra20 is tegra2
> (hence it will define board_soc=tegra2), whereas the kernel's device
> tree files are all tegra-*.dts not tegra2-*.dts.
>
> I propose we fix this by:
>
> a) In the kernel, renaming tegra*-${board}.dts to tegra20-${board}.dts
> (or tegra30-${board}.dts). This appears to better match what most other
> ARM sub-arches are doing anyway.
>
> b) In U-Boot, rename the tegra2 support to tegra20 so that U-Boot ends
> up setting board_soc=tegra20, so this matches the .dts/.dtb filenames.
> This would involve renaming arch/arm/cpu/armv7/tegra2/ to
> ./arch/arm/cpu/armv7/tegra20/ and editing boards.cfg to match, and
> possibly other related changes.
>
> This sounds like churn, but I think we could easily fold this into
> Allen's series that moves the tegra2 directory in order to put it in a
> common place for separate SPL/non-SPL builds to avoid doing this kind of
> thing multiple times.
>
> Does anyone think this is a good/bad/... idea? Thanks.

I like it. It's better to have the names consistent.

Thierry

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 198 bytes --]

From: Thierry Reding @ 2012-05-21 14:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

@ 2012-05-22  0:49       ` Simon Glass
From: Simon Glass @ 2012-05-22  0:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Stephen,

On Mon, May 21, 2012 at 7:22 AM, Thierry Reding <
thierry.reding@avionic-design.de> wrote:

> * Stephen Warren wrote:
> > I just posted a patch which causes U-Boot to define some variables
> > describing which board you're running on:
> >
> > http://lists.denx.de/pipermail/u-boot/2012-May/124556.html
> >
> > In particular, see the description of that first patch for motivation
> > re: U-Boot scripts.
> >
> > The one issue here is that the U-Boot SoC name for Tegra20 is tegra2
> > (hence it will define board_soc=tegra2), whereas the kernel's device
> > tree files are all tegra-*.dts not tegra2-*.dts.
> >
> > I propose we fix this by:
> >
> > a) In the kernel, renaming tegra*-${board}.dts to tegra20-${board}.dts
> > (or tegra30-${board}.dts). This appears to better match what most other
> > ARM sub-arches are doing anyway.
> >
> > b) In U-Boot, rename the tegra2 support to tegra20 so that U-Boot ends
> > up setting board_soc=tegra20, so this matches the .dts/.dtb filenames.
> > This would involve renaming arch/arm/cpu/armv7/tegra2/ to
> > ./arch/arm/cpu/armv7/tegra20/ and editing boards.cfg to match, and
> > possibly other related changes.
> >
> > This sounds like churn, but I think we could easily fold this into
> > Allen's series that moves the tegra2 directory in order to put it in a
> > common place for separate SPL/non-SPL builds to avoid doing this kind of
> > thing multiple times.
> >
> > Does anyone think this is a good/bad/... idea? Thanks.
>
> I like it. It's better to have the names consistent.

Sounds good to me, too.

> Thierry

Regards,
Simon

From: Simon Glass @ 2012-05-22  0:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Hi Stephen,

On Mon, May 21, 2012 at 7:22 AM, Thierry Reding <
thierry.reding@avionic-design.de> wrote:

> * Stephen Warren wrote:
> > I just posted a patch which causes U-Boot to define some variables
> > describing which board you're running on:
> >
> > http://lists.denx.de/pipermail/u-boot/2012-May/124556.html
> >
> > In particular, see the description of that first patch for motivation
> > re: U-Boot scripts.
> >
> > The one issue here is that the U-Boot SoC name for Tegra20 is tegra2
> > (hence it will define board_soc=tegra2), whereas the kernel's device
> > tree files are all tegra-*.dts not tegra2-*.dts.
> >
> > I propose we fix this by:
> >
> > a) In the kernel, renaming tegra*-${board}.dts to tegra20-${board}.dts
> > (or tegra30-${board}.dts). This appears to better match what most other
> > ARM sub-arches are doing anyway.
> >
> > b) In U-Boot, rename the tegra2 support to tegra20 so that U-Boot ends
> > up setting board_soc=tegra20, so this matches the .dts/.dtb filenames.
> > This would involve renaming arch/arm/cpu/armv7/tegra2/ to
> > ./arch/arm/cpu/armv7/tegra20/ and editing boards.cfg to match, and
> > possibly other related changes.
> >
> > This sounds like churn, but I think we could easily fold this into
> > Allen's series that moves the tegra2 directory in order to put it in a
> > common place for separate SPL/non-SPL builds to avoid doing this kind of
> > thing multiple times.
> >
> > Does anyone think this is a good/bad/... idea? Thanks.
>
> I like it. It's better to have the names consistent.

Sounds good to me, too.

> Thierry

Regards,
Simon

* Re: Unifying device tree filenames, and U-Boot SoC name
@ 2012-05-22  1:01           ` Allen Martin
From: Allen Martin @ 2012-05-22  1:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Simon Glass
  Cc: Thierry Reding, Stephen Warren, Tom Warren, Olof Johansson,
	Colin Cross, U-Boot Mailing List,

On Mon, May 21, 2012 at 05:49:03PM -0700, Simon Glass wrote:
> Hi Stephen,
>
> On Mon, May 21, 2012 at 7:22 AM, Thierry Reding <thierry.reding-RM9K5IK7kjKj5M59NBduVrNAH6kLmebB@public.gmane.org<mailto:thierry.reding-RM9K5IK7kjKj5M59NBduVrNAH6kLmebB@public.gmane.org>> wrote:
> * Stephen Warren wrote:
> >
> > b) In U-Boot, rename the tegra2 support to tegra20 so that U-Boot ends
> > up setting board_soc=tegra20, so this matches the .dts/.dtb filenames.
> > This would involve renaming arch/arm/cpu/armv7/tegra2/ to
> > ./arch/arm/cpu/armv7/tegra20/ and editing boards.cfg to match, and
> > possibly other related changes.
> >
> > This sounds like churn, but I think we could easily fold this into
> > Allen's series that moves the tegra2 directory in order to put it in a
> > common place for separate SPL/non-SPL builds to avoid doing this kind of
> > thing multiple times.
> >
> > Does anyone think this is a good/bad/... idea? Thanks.
>
> I like it. It's better to have the names consistent.
>
> Sounds good to me, too.

I'm fine with the proposal, I'll roll it into my SPL patch series
which I need to post a new version of anyway.

-Allen
--
nvpublic

From: Allen Martin @ 2012-05-22  1:01 UTC (permalink / raw)