* which Dom0 should I use in my regular testing?
@ 2012-05-28  8:04 Ren, Yongjie
From: Ren, Yongjie @ 2012-05-28  8:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ian.jackson; +Cc: xen-devel

Hi Jackson,
Our team spares some effort in regular testing against xen-unstable tree.
I know you are doing some testing against xen.
Which Dom0 are you using in your oss test, Konrad's xen.git or upstream linux.git ?
And which Dom0 do you recommend in my regular testing?
(Not sure you are the right person for this question? :-) )

Best Regards,
     Yongjie (Jay)

* Re: which Dom0 should I use in my regular testing?
@ 2012-05-29 14:33 ` Ren, Yongjie
From: Ren, Yongjie @ 2012-05-29 14:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ian.jackson; +Cc: Ian Campbell, xen-devel

Sorry, ping...
Any suggestions?  Also CC Ian Campbell for suggestion.

Best Regards,
     Yongjie (Jay)

@ 2012-05-29 14:38   ` Ian Campbell
From: Ian Campbell @ 2012-05-29 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ren, Yongjie; +Cc: Ian Jackson, xen-devel

On Tue, 2012-05-29 at 15:33 +0100, Ren, Yongjie wrote:
> Sorry, ping...
> Any suggestions?  Also CC Ian Campbell for suggestion.

I think the latest kernel from upstream's stable series would be a
reasonable basis for testing xen on.

@ 2012-05-29 14:42     ` Pasi Kärkkäinen
From: Pasi Kärkkäinen @ 2012-05-29 14:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Campbell; +Cc: Ren, Yongjie, Ian Jackson, xen-devel

On Tue, May 29, 2012 at 03:38:56PM +0100, Ian Campbell wrote:
> On Tue, 2012-05-29 at 15:33 +0100, Ren, Yongjie wrote:
> > Sorry, ping...
> > Any suggestions?  Also CC Ian Campbell for suggestion.
>
> I think the latest kernel from upstream's stable series would be a
> reasonable basis for testing xen on.

I think the upstream Linux 'stable' series is 3.0.x currently?

Linux 3.4.x is the first kernel with Xen ACPI cpufreq / power management patches included,
so it makes sense to use 3.4+ ?

-- Pasi

@ 2012-05-29 14:50       ` Ian Campbell
From: Ian Campbell @ 2012-05-29 14:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pasi Kärkkäinen; +Cc: Ren, Yongjie, Ian Jackson, xen-devel

On Tue, 2012-05-29 at 15:42 +0100, Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:
> On Tue, May 29, 2012 at 03:38:56PM +0100, Ian Campbell wrote:
> > On Tue, 2012-05-29 at 15:33 +0100, Ren, Yongjie wrote:
> > > Sorry, ping...
> > > Any suggestions?  Also CC Ian Campbell for suggestion.
> >
> > I think the latest kernel from upstream's stable series would be a
> > reasonable basis for testing xen on.
> >

> I think the upstream Linux 'stable' series is 3.0.x currently?

No, that is "longterm". Stable is always a branch of the most recent
release from Linus, it seems to be 3.3.7 right now but there will no
doubt be a 3.4.1 quite soon. Sticking with the previous version until
3.4.1 or 3.4.2 might be wise.

I'm assuming here that the primary aim is to test Xen and not
necessarily to test dom0 directly. If one wants to explicitly test dom0
then running Linus' tree (on a known good Xen baseline) seems like the
right answer.

> Linux 3.4.x is the first kernel with Xen ACPI cpufreq / power management patches included,
> so it makes sense to use 3.4+ ?

Yongjie didn't express any interest in a particular feature, so my
advice was more general.

Ian.

@ 2012-05-29 15:29         ` Ren, Yongjie
From: Ren, Yongjie @ 2012-05-29 15:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
> On Tue, 2012-05-29 at 15:42 +0100, Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:
> > >
> > > I think the latest kernel from upstream's stable series would be a
> > > reasonable basis for testing xen on.
> > >

> > I think the upstream Linux 'stable' series is 3.0.x currently?
>
> No, that is "longterm". Stable is always a branch of the most recent
> release from Linus, it seems to be 3.3.7 right now but there will no
> doubt be a 3.4.1 quite soon. Sticking with the previous version until
> 3.4.1 or 3.4.2 might be wise.
>
> I'm assuming here that the primary aim is to test Xen and not
> necessarily to test dom0 directly. If one wants to explicitly test dom0
> then running Linus' tree (on a known good Xen baseline) seems like the
> right answer.

Yeah, can't agree more. We also want to focus on Xen testing not dom0 stuff.

> > Linux 3.4.x is the first kernel with Xen ACPI cpufreq / power management
> patches included,
> > so it makes sense to use 3.4+ ?
>
> Yongjie didn't express any interest in a particular feature, so my
> advice was more general.

Sorry, We're interested in PM feature, so I'm using 3.4+ now.
My draft plan is to use 3.4.1 when available, then will keep it constant until next stable kernel (e.g. 3.4.2) is released.
I'll also discuss with our internal persons and make final decision.

> Ian.

And, thanks for your suggestion.

-- Yongjie

@ 2012-05-29 15:48 ` Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk
From: Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk @ 2012-05-29 15:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ren, Yongjie; +Cc: ian.jackson, xen-devel

On Mon, May 28, 2012 at 08:04:40AM +0000, Ren, Yongjie wrote:
> Hi Jackson,
> Our team spares some effort in regular testing against xen-unstable tree.
> I know you are doing some testing against xen.

I am testing against Xen 4.1 and everynight latest Linus's tree.

> Which Dom0 are you using in your oss test, Konrad's xen.git or upstream linux.git ?

I am using Linus' tree everynight. And then whenever I've new patches
I use my #testing or just do

git checkout linus/master
git merge stable/XXX
and test that out.

> And which Dom0 do you recommend in my regular testing?

Uhhh? You mean distro?

@ 2012-05-30  1:50   ` Ren, Yongjie
From: Ren, Yongjie @ 2012-05-30  1:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
> On Mon, May 28, 2012 at 08:04:40AM +0000, Ren, Yongjie wrote:
> > Hi Jackson,
> > Our team spares some effort in regular testing against xen-unstable
> tree.
> > I know you are doing some testing against xen.
>
> I am testing against Xen 4.1 and everynight latest Linus's tree.
>
> > Which Dom0 are you using in your oss test, Konrad's xen.git or upstream
> linux.git ?
>
> I am using Linus' tree everynight. And then whenever I've new patches
> I use my #testing or just do
>
> git checkout linus/master
> git merge stable/XXX
> and test that out.

Thanks for your sharing.

> > And which Dom0 do you recommend in my regular testing?
>
> Uhhh? You mean distro?

Not exactly. I want to choose a dom0 to keep pace with our community.
I test xen-unstable tree every night when there's new changesets.