* Re: How do embedded linux-rt systems fill their entropy/randomness pools?
       [not found] <CAM7vvUeRQ0K5J-wtir4JmJcPRfFJtmvxn-yud16BG7KZupFNKg@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2012-06-18 18:19 ` Richard Tollerton
From: Richard Tollerton @ 2012-06-18 18:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tglx, linux-rt-users

Hi Thomas and others,

Your "genirq: Disable random call on preempt-rt" commit on Jul 21 2009
removes interrupt timings as a potential source of randomness for the
kernel entropy pool, if CONFIG_PREEMPT_RT_FULL  is set. I have no
qualms with this change, per se; manipulating the entropy pool is
clearly something that shouldn't be happening at IRQ priority.

However: on an embedded linux-rt system with solid-state storage,
add_input_randomness() ought to contribute no entropy at all, and
add_disk_randomness() likely contributes a marginal amount of entropy,
since SSD seek timings have little variance. That leaves
ioctl(/dev/random, RNDADDENTROPY) as the only remaining entropy
source. But no kernel drivers appear to use that, and few
distributions have egd set up out-of-the-box.

Thus, for a stock linux-rt kernel, it appears to be the case that
**NOTHING POPULATES THE ENTROPY POOL**. I can readily reproduce this
on a live linux-rt ARM system: after boot,
/proc/sys/kernel/random/entropy_avail is 0, and stays there.

This, to me, seems to be a severe problem. In particular, if the
embedded RT system is responsible for generating its own RSA keys for
e.g. SSH/SSL on first boot, then the lack of entropy leaves it
susceptible to catastrophic factorization attacks as documented in
"Ron was wrong, Whit is right", http://eprint.iacr.org/2012/064.pdf,
which made the news 3 months or so ago.

Do you agree with this analysis?

How have other linux-rt users solved this sort of problem, besides
userspace ioctl(RNDADDENTROPY) calls from an entropy gathering daemon?

Would anybody (else) be interested in pursing a realtime-safe way to
use interrupt timings as an entropy source?

-- Richard Tollerton <richard.tollerton@gmail.com>

@ 2012-06-18 22:08 ` Thomas Gleixner
From: Thomas Gleixner @ 2012-06-18 22:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Tollerton
  Cc: linux-rt-users, LKML, Robin Getz, Matt Mackall,
	Nicholas Mc Guire, linux-security-module

Richard,

On Mon, 18 Jun 2012, Richard Tollerton wrote:
> Your "genirq: Disable random call on preempt-rt" commit on Jul 21 2009
> removes interrupt timings as a potential source of randomness for the
> kernel entropy pool, if CONFIG_PREEMPT_RT_FULL  is set. I have no qualms
> with this change, per se; manipulating the entropy pool is clearly
> something that shouldn't be happening at IRQ priority.
>
> However: on an embedded linux-rt system with solid-state storage,
> add_input_randomness() ought to contribute no entropy at all, and
> add_disk_randomness() likely contributes a marginal amount of entropy,
> since SSD seek timings have little variance. That leaves ioctl(/dev/random,
> RNDADDENTROPY) as the only remaining entropy source. But no kernel drivers
> appear to use that, and few distributions have egd set up out-of-the-box.

Well, to be clear. Just do a

  git grep IRQF_SAMPLE_RANDOM

over the mainline Linux source and you will find out, that this is
really not a RT problem.

That's a total of 28 places which have IRQF_SAMPLE_RANDOM set on their
interrupt request call.

You can see the very interesting file which matches that pattern:

Documentation/feature-removal-schedule.txt:What:        IRQF_SAMPLE_RANDOM
Documentation/feature-removal-schedule.txt:Check:       IRQF_SAMPLE_RANDOM
Documentation/feature-removal-schedule.txt:Why: Many of IRQF_SAMPLE_RANDOM users are technically bogus as entropy

Now obviosly neither that misfeature has been removed, nor one of the
folks who are interested in security, randomness etc. has come up with
any useful replacement.

> Thus, for a stock linux-rt kernel, it appears to be the case that **NOTHING
> POPULATES THE ENTROPY POOL**. I can readily reproduce this on a live
> linux-rt ARM system: after boot, /proc/sys/kernel/random/entropy_avail is
> 0, and stays there.

s/stock linux-rt kernel/stock linux kernel/ and I'm with you :)

> This, to me, seems to be a severe problem. In particular, if the embedded
> RT system is responsible for generating its own RSA keys for e.g. SSH/SSL
> on first boot, then the lack of entropy leaves it susceptible to
> catastrophic factorization attacks as documented in "Ron was wrong, Whit is
> right", http://eprint.iacr.org/2012/064.pdf, which made the news 3 months
> or so ago.
>
> Do you agree with this analysis?

I agree that the lack of randomization is idiotic though I don't agree
that this is a RT problem. I have access to enough systems where RT
and mainline have exactly the same issue.

> Would anybody (else) be interested in pursing a realtime-safe way to use
> interrupt timings as an entropy source?

s/realtime-safe/proper/ and I'm all ear and probably a lot of other
folks as well.

Though I doubt that interrupt timings are going to solve the
problem. Just look at /proc/interrupts on your headless SSD equipped
entropy challenged system.

There is not much which can add to the entropy, really. And that's why
IRQF_SAMPLE_RANDOM is pretty useless and any attempt to make it useful
is probably as useless as well.

And I really disagree with the way how the randomness stuff is done
today. We feed crap into the random generator whether we need it or
not. Look at the code path, then you know _WHY_ I disabled it on RT
(aside of the RT specific locking issues). This stuff is really wrong,
independent of RT.

We need to provide randomness when a consumer needs it, but we don't
have to do expensive randomness calculations when there is no consumer
at all. So why not moving off the expensive computations into the
context of those who need it?

Some time ago I did some experiments on implementing a lockless per
cpu "ring buffer" which could be fed fast and w/o overhead with random
values. Unfortunatly I lost those patches while debugging some weird
file system corruption issue on RT and I never bothered to reimplement
them due to lack of bandwidth :(

But it shouldn't be that hard to reimplement something like that which
is fast and halfways deep (e.g. at least 4k samples per cpu) which can
be fed into the random generator consumer side on demand w/o affecting
the producers. The nice thing is that due to randomness you don't have
to care about races. It does not matter whether a producer overwrites
the value while the consumer side is reading it. And the consumer
side, which is the "slow" path can be a producer as well. It's code
pathes are equally random as any other ones chosen to be a producer.

For me that approach with a few producers sprinkled into frequently
used, but not crucial hot code pathes solved the annoying problem of
missing randomness in my embedded headless systems quite well, w/o
enforcing a braindamaged user space daemon which sucks energy forever
just to fix that shortcoming.

I know that it's not going to be a mathematically provable random
generator on the producer side, but I really don't care. As long as it
passes the various tests on the consumer side, I don't worry about
that theoretical part :)

There are enough papers out there, which cover the inherent randomness
of todays cpu systems, so go wild with finding the relevant points
which can be abused to a stick some value into the pools fast
path.

Thanks,

	tglx

* Re: How do embedded linux-rt systems fill their entropy/randomness pools?
@ 2012-06-19  7:09   ` Nicholas Mc Guire
From: Nicholas Mc Guire @ 2012-06-19  7:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Gleixner
  Cc: Richard Tollerton, linux-rt-users, LKML, Robin Getz,
	Matt Mackall, linux-security-module

On Tue, 19 Jun 2012, Thomas Gleixner wrote:

<snip>

> There are enough papers out there, which cover the inherent randomness
> of todays cpu systems, so go wild with finding the relevant points
> which can be abused to a stick some value into the pools fast
> path.
>
> Thanks,
>
> 	tglx

Here a quick shot of the current state of our ESRNG (Embarrasingly Simple Random Number Generator) - a trivial entropy extracter. There actually are not random number generators on this planet - they all just extract entropy from some poison process - but the name "generator" seems to be accepted.... this is unfortunately work stalled in progress - no more than prototype code and some early papers.

Here is a run on my current working box from this morning.

idle system:

hofrat@debian:/tmp$ time ./esrng -t 2 -c 4000 -r 5000 -j 9000 -q 0 -p 10000 -s 3 -l 1 -u 10000
min:1,max:22306,wsize:4216
r: 167347, d: 152621 N:7361 (data_int_10000_2t_jw10q0_c4000_r5000_N3000_j9000.3)
real    0m33.942s
user    0m8.141s
sys     0m7.708s
hofrat@debian:/tmp$ /home/hofrat/ESRNG/test_code/ent data_int_10000_2t_jw10q0_c4000_r5000_N3000_j9000.3
Entropy = 7.998823 bits per byte.

Optimum compression would reduce the size
of this 167347 byte file by 0 percent.

Chi square distribution for 167347 samples is 273.57, and randomly
would exceed this value 20.26 percent of the times.

Arithmetic mean value of data bytes is 127.2821 (127.5 = random).
Monte Carlo value for Pi is 3.136495644 (error 0.16 percent).
Serial correlation coefficient is 0.014924 (totally uncorrelated = 0.0).

so 5k/s on an idle system - note that the entropy extraction rate goes down on
loaded systems as the entropy extraction is proportional to the execution time
of the extratro so if it gets no CPU time then it extract little entropy - but
in general highly loaded systems have sufficient sources of entropy.

loaded system (io load)

hofrat@debian:/tmp$ time ./esrng -t 2 -c 4000 -r 5000 -j 9000 -q 0 -p 10000 -s 4 -l 1 -u 10000
min:1,max:39148,wsize:4218
r: 167931, d: 152037 N:7420 (data_int_10000_2t_jw10q0_c4000_r5000_N3000_j9000.4)real    0m34.505s
user    0m8.241s
sys     0m7.656s
hofrat@debian:/tmp$ uptime
 14:48:37 up 10 days, 15:17,  9 users,  load average: 8.46, 3.20, 1.17
hofrat@debian:/tmp$ /home/hofrat/ESRNG/test_code/ent data_int_10000_2t_jw10q0_c4000_r5000_N3000_j9000.4
Entropy = 7.998924 bits per byte.

Optimum compression would reduce the size
of this 167931 byte file by 0 percent.

Chi square distribution for 167931 samples is 250.41, and randomly
would exceed this value 56.93 percent of the times.

Arithmetic mean value of data bytes is 127.3719 (127.5 = random).
Monte Carlo value for Pi is 3.141346291 (error 0.01 percent).
Serial correlation coefficient is 0.019616 (totally uncorrelated = 0.0).

loaded system (CPU load of 16++ on a 8 core box)

hofrat@debian:/tmp$ time ./esrng -t 2 -c 4000 -r 5000 -j 9000 -q 0 -p 10000 -s 5 -l 1 -u 10000
wmove: 35870min:1,max:117000,wsize:63174
r: 28762, d: 291206 N:1 (data_int_10000_2t_jw10q0_c4000_r5000_N3000_j9000.5)
real    63m51.208s
user    43m53.533s
sys     81m43.550s
hofrat@debian:/tmp$ /home/hofrat/ESRNG/test_code/ent data_int_10000_2t_jw10q0_c4000_r5000_N3000_j9000.5
Entropy = 7.993978 bits per byte.

Optimum compression would reduce the size
of this 28762 byte file by 0 percent.

Chi square distribution for 28762 samples is 238.02, and randomly
would exceed this value 77.02 percent of the times.

Arithmetic mean value of data bytes is 127.2472 (127.5 = random).
Monte Carlo value for Pi is 3.129563947 (error 0.38 percent).
Serial correlation coefficient is 0.005237 (totally uncorrelated = 0.0).

Parameters:

the somewhat ugly list of arguments to esrng is due to the lack of
autocalibration (a still unsolved issue really) and so this nees some manual
tuning. Keeping the extraction stable is done by the runtime control loop
(a windowing controler using the occurence of a race condition as the feedback
signal to adjust the loop length (statistical race "control") to race on)

resonable - on UP this can be much less (on some embedded UP processors it can
go down to 100byte/s). for high CPU load it will fade more or less to 0 (it
is running with the lowest priority in the system in user-space at the moment)

If anybody has time to play with this and test it - I would be greatful for
input - works for me and if you have enough time (weeks...) to generate GB size
samples you can (provided the calibration was correct) pass the NIST test-suit
- atleast some of our data sets did pass - but at this point consider it
insecure until proven otherwise. The test-outputs shown above are from ent
 (random.org test-suit). But if you have no RNG/entropy source at all I'm
comfortable claiming this is better than nothing :)

for those interested - just dumped the current state of ESRNG code (after
adding comments in the code) to http://www.opentech.at/papers/ESRNG.tar.bz2

  have fun - get confused !

thx!
hofrat