From: Takuya Yoshikawa <takuya.yoshikawa@gmail.com>
To: Anthony Liguori <anthony@codemonkey.ws>
	Orit Wasserman <owasserm@redhat.com>,
	qemu-devel@nongnu.org, Michael Roth <mdroth@us.ibm.com>,
	Isaku Yamahata <yamahata@valinux.co.jp>
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] KVM call agenda for Tuesday, June 19th
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2012 23:34:42 +0900	[thread overview]

On Tue, 19 Jun 2012 09:01:36 -0500
Anthony Liguori <anthony@codemonkey.ws> wrote:

> I'm not at all convinced that postcopy is a good idea.  There needs a clear
> expression of what the value proposition is that's backed by benchmarks.  Those
> benchmarks need to include latency measurements of downtime which so far, I've
> not seen.
>
> I don't want to take any postcopy patches until this discussion happens.

FWIW:

I rather see postcopy as a way of migrating guests forcibly and I know
a service in which such a way is needed: emergency migration.  There is
also a product which does live migration when some hardware problems are
detected (as a semi-FT solution) -- in such cases, we cannot wait until
the guest becomes calm.

Although I am not certain whether QEMU can be used for such products,
it may be worth thinking about.

Thanks,
	Takuya

From: Takuya Yoshikawa <takuya.yoshikawa@gmail.com>