* Kernel panic from "btrfs subvolume delete"
@ 2012-06-29 10:11 Richard Cooper
From: Richard Cooper @ 2012-06-29 10:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-btrfs

Hi All,

I have two machines where I've been testing various btrfs based backup strategies. They are both Cent OS 6 with the standard kernel and btrfs-progs RPMs from the CentOS repos.

- kernel-2.6.32-220.17.1.el6.x86_64
- btrfs-progs-0.19-12.el6.x86_64

Both are currently in a state when trying to delete a subvolume results in the following kernel panic.

----------

[root@backup2 ~]# btrfs subvolume delete /srv/backup_history/2012-06-28-1342
Delete subvolume '/srv/backup_history/2012-06-28-1342'
[root@backup2 ~]#
Message from syslogd@backup2 at Jun 29 08:53:06 ...
 kernel:------------[ cut here ]------------

Message from syslogd@backup2 at Jun 29 08:53:06 ...
 kernel:invalid opcode: 0000 [#1] SMP

Message from syslogd@backup2 at Jun 29 08:53:06 ...
 kernel:last sysfs file: /sys/devices/virtual/block/md1/md/metadata_version

Message from syslogd@backup2 at Jun 29 08:53:06 ...
 kernel:Stack:

Message from syslogd@backup2 at Jun 29 08:53:06 ...
 kernel:Call Trace:

Message from syslogd@backup2 at Jun 29 08:53:06 ...
 kernel:Code: 89 ef e8 84 f5 fe ff 48 89 df 89 45 d8 e8 99 86 fe ff 8b 45 d8 48 8b 5d e0 4c 8b 65 e8 4c 8b 6d f0 4c 8b 75 f8 c9 c3 0f 0b eb fe <0f> 0b eb fe 0f 0b 66 2e 0f 1f 84 00 00 00 00 00 eb f4 66 66 66

Message from syslogd@backup2 at Jun 29 08:53:06 ...
 kernel:Kernel panic - not syncing: Fatal exception

----------

Sometimes the kernel:last sysfs file line says "/sys/kernel/kexec_crash_loaded" instead.

My setup is that /srv is a btrfs sat on /dev/md4 which is a 4 drive software RAID5 array. /srv/backups/data is a subvolume containing 65GB worth of test data. I've "btrfs subvolume snapshot"ed that data to a few new subvolumes under  /srv/backup_history/. Now whenever I try to delete any of the snapshots on either machine I get a kernel panic.

btrfsck look like this:

[root@backup2 ~]# btrfsck /dev/md4
found 72254246912 bytes used err is 0
total csum bytes: 66815432
total tree bytes: 3835244544
total fs tree bytes: 3581440000
btree space waste bytes: 1187313778
file data blocks allocated: 68419002368
 referenced 68418383872
Btrfs Btrfs v0.19

What should I do now? Do I need to upgrade to a more recent btrfs? If so, how? Can I provide any more information to help debug and fix the problem?

Regards,

- Rich

* Re: Kernel panic from "btrfs subvolume delete"
@ 2012-06-29 10:42 ` Fajar A. Nugraha
From: Fajar A. Nugraha @ 2012-06-29 10:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Cooper; +Cc: linux-btrfs

On Fri, Jun 29, 2012 at 5:11 PM, Richard Cooper
<richard@richardcooper.net> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I have two machines where I've been testing various btrfs based backup strategies. They are both Cent OS 6 with the standard kernel and btrfs-progs RPMs from the CentOS repos.
>
> - kernel-2.6.32-220.17.1.el6.x86_64
> - btrfs-progs-0.19-12.el6.x86_64

In btrfs terms, 2.6.32 is ... stone age :P

> What should I do now? Do I need to upgrade to a more recent btrfs?

Yep

https://blogs.oracle.com/linux/entry/oracle_unbreakable_enterprise_kernel_release
http://elrepo.org/tiki/kernel-ml

--
Fajar

* Re: Kernel panic from "btrfs subvolume delete"
@ 2012-06-29 11:17   ` Duncan
From: Duncan @ 2012-06-29 11:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-btrfs

Fajar A. Nugraha posted on Fri, 29 Jun 2012 17:42:26 +0700 as excerpted:

> On Fri, Jun 29, 2012 at 5:11 PM, Richard Cooper
> <richard@richardcooper.net> wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I have two machines where I've been testing various btrfs based backup
>> strategies. They are both Cent OS 6 with the standard kernel and
>> btrfs-progs RPMs from the CentOS repos.
>>
>> - kernel-2.6.32-220.17.1.el6.x86_64 - btrfs-progs-0.19-12.el6.x86_64
>
> In btrfs terms, 2.6.32 is ... stone age :P

Indeed!  As both the kernel option and the btrfs wiki state, btrfs is an
experimental filesystem under heavy development and fit for testing, not
operational use.  Oracle and I believe SuSE have paid support now if you
want it, but to some extent that's by locking down your options, and
otherwise, it's simply offering to let you pay them for recovery efforts
if something does go wrong.

Meanwhile, "under heavy development" in practice means that if you're
using a kernel older than the last upstream release or two (so 3.3 at the
very oldest!), you're testing extremely outdated code and the value of
those tests both in reporting problems and in conclusions you yourself
may draw from them is extremely limited.

Latest upstream release, now 3.4, is really the oldest you should be
running for btrfs testing, and many people run the development kernel rcs,
3.5-rc4 currently, or git-kernels, either Linus or btrfs-next (see the
wiki).

So 2.6.32...  Do you still run kernel 2.2 on your non-btrfs machines, by
any chance?  Because that's what's comparable, in terms of btrfs
development vs kernel development.

>> What should I do now? Do I need to upgrade to a more recent btrfs?
>
> Yep
>
>> If so, how?
>
> https://blogs.oracle.com/linux/entry/
oracle_unbreakable_enterprise_kernel_release
> http://elrepo.org/tiki/kernel-ml

Or read up on the wiki and go mainline kernel:

https://btrfs.wiki.kernel.org/

https://btrfs.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Main_Page#Documentation

https://btrfs.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Btrfs_source_repositories

* Re: Kernel panic from "btrfs subvolume delete"
@ 2012-06-29 14:23   ` Richard Cooper
From: Richard Cooper @ 2012-06-29 14:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-btrfs

On 29 Jun 2012, at 11:42, Fajar A. Nugraha wrote:
>> What should I do now? Do I need to upgrade to a more recent btrfs?
>
> Yep
>
>> If so, how?
>
> https://blogs.oracle.com/linux/entry/oracle_unbreakable_enterprise_kernel_release
> http://elrepo.org/tiki/kernel-ml

Perfect, thank you! I was looking for a mainline kernel yum repo but my google-fu was failing me. That looks like just what I need.

I've installed kernel v3.4.4 from http://elrepo.org/tiki/kernel-ml and that seems to have fixed my kernel panic. I'm still using the default Cent OS 6 versions of the btrfs userspace programs (v0.19). Any reason why that might be a bad idea?

Thanks again,

@ 2012-06-29 14:29     ` Fajar A. Nugraha
From: Fajar A. Nugraha @ 2012-06-29 14:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Cooper; +Cc: linux-btrfs

On Fri, Jun 29, 2012 at 9:23 PM, Richard Cooper
<richard@richardcooper.net> wrote:
>>> If so, how?
>>
>> https://blogs.oracle.com/linux/entry/oracle_unbreakable_enterprise_kernel_release
>> http://elrepo.org/tiki/kernel-ml
>
> Perfect, thank you! I was looking for a mainline kernel yum repo but my google-fu was failing me. That looks like just what I need.
>
> I've installed kernel v3.4.4 from http://elrepo.org/tiki/kernel-ml and that seems to have fixed my kernel panic. I'm still using the default Cent OS 6 versions of the btrfs userspace programs (v0.19). Any reason why that might be a bad idea?

At the very least, newer version of btrfsck has --repair, which you
might need later in the future.
There's also features lke forcing a certain compression (e.g. zlib) on
a file as part of "btrfs filesystem defrag" command.

Just grab updated btrfs-progs (or whatever it's called) from Oracle's repo.

--
Fajar

* Re: Kernel panic from "btrfs subvolume delete"
@ 2012-06-29 14:29     ` Hugo Mills
From: Hugo Mills @ 2012-06-29 14:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Cooper; +Cc: linux-btrfs