* Introduction and getting started...
@ 2012-07-18 13:31 Darryl L. Pierce
From: Darryl L. Pierce @ 2012-07-18 13:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernel-janitors

Hi, everybody. I'm fairly new to this mailing list (just signed up last
week) and want to start contributing in some fashion to Linux kernel
development. But I'm not sure where or how to get started. So I'm asking
for some advice: point me to a FAQ or guide for pitching in, please.

Thanks in advance.

--
Darryl L. Pierce <mcpierce@gmail.com>
http://mcpierce.multiply.com/

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 198 bytes --]

* Re: Introduction and getting started...
@ 2012-07-18 13:43 ` Dan Carpenter
From: Dan Carpenter @ 2012-07-18 13:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernel-janitors

On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 09:31:04AM -0400, Darryl L. Pierce wrote:
> Hi, everybody. I'm fairly new to this mailing list (just signed up last
> week) and want to start contributing in some fashion to Linux kernel
> development. But I'm not sure where or how to get started. So I'm asking
> for some advice: point me to a FAQ or guide for pitching in, please.
>
> Thanks in advance.

The best way to start is just to fix bugs.  Try compiling the kernel
with the "clang" static checker stuff.  It should find some
potential bugs.  Sort through them and find which are real.  Then
fix them.

I don't think anyone is using the clang checker on a regular basis.

Run it against linux-next.

The key really is to read a lot of code and find bugs.

regards,
dan carpenter

* Re: Introduction and getting started...
@ 2012-07-18 14:02 ` Darryl L. Pierce
From: Darryl L. Pierce @ 2012-07-18 14:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernel-janitors