* [Qemu-devel] qemu 1.1.0 slow as hell booting ?
@ 2012-07-19 14:43 Luigi Rizzo
From: Luigi Rizzo @ 2012-07-19 14:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: qemu-devel

hi,
while playing with various qemu versions i noticed that
qemu-devel now in FreeBSD ports (1.1.0) is slow as hell when
booting FreeBSD (take for instance the netmap image at

http://info.iet.unipi.it/~luigi/netmap/20120608-netmap-picobsd-head-amd64.bin

while 0.11.x and 1.1.1 and 1.0.1 seem to work well.

I should mention that i had the same exact problem a few months
ago with a qemu version compiled on my Mac using macports,
which was fixed by manually building one myself from the sources
(the working Mac version reports version 1.0.91; unfortunately
i do not remember which version it was, but judging from the
macports history it could have been either 0.14.1 or 1.0)
so i do not think this is a specific problem with FreeBSD.

Are you able to reproduce this problem ?  Any idea on what could it be ?

cheers
luigi

* Re: [Qemu-devel] qemu 1.1.0 slow as hell booting ?
@ 2012-07-20 11:04 ` ronnie sahlberg
From: ronnie sahlberg @ 2012-07-20 11:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luigi Rizzo; +Cc: qemu-devel

Is it only very slow during boot   but then becomes normal speed when
the system is fully booted and kernel and userspace are all up and
running normally?

regards
ronnie sahlberg

@ 2012-07-20 11:20 ` Luigi Rizzo
From: Luigi Rizzo @ 2012-07-20 11:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: qemu-devel

On Thu, Jul 19, 2012 at 04:43:05PM +0200, Luigi Rizzo wrote:
> hi,
> while playing with various qemu versions i noticed that
> qemu-devel now in FreeBSD ports (1.1.0) is slow as hell when
> booting FreeBSD (take for instance the netmap image at
>
> http://info.iet.unipi.it/~luigi/netmap/20120608-netmap-picobsd-head-amd64.bin
>
> while 0.11.x and 1.1.1 and 1.0.1 seem to work well.
>
> I should mention that i had the same exact problem a few months
> ago with a qemu version compiled on my Mac using macports,
> which was fixed by manually building one myself from the sources
> (the working Mac version reports version 1.0.91; unfortunately
> i do not remember which version it was, but judging from the
> macports history it could have been either 0.14.1 or 1.0)
> so i do not think this is a specific problem with FreeBSD.
>
> Are you able to reproduce this problem ?  Any idea on what could it be ?

Just for the archives:

the problem was that the FreeBSD port, when compiling with CLANG,
used --enable-tcg-interpreter which caused the slow code to be
generated. I suppose the same problem existed in the macports version

cheers
luigi

@ 2012-07-20 11:30   ` Luigi Rizzo
From: Luigi Rizzo @ 2012-07-20 11:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ronnie sahlberg; +Cc: qemu-devel

On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 09:04:51PM +1000, ronnie sahlberg wrote:
> Is it only very slow during boot   but then becomes normal speed when
> the system is fully booted and kernel and userspace are all up and
> running normally?

i did not have enough patience to go past the 2 minutes needed
to load text+data for the kernel.
See my followup, it was due to configure using --enable-tcg-interpreter
when using CLANG.

cheers
luigi