* development board?
@ 2012-07-19 19:15 Oliver Kowalke
From: Oliver Kowalke @ 2012-07-19 19:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-mips

Hi,
I'm searching for an development board with a MIPS processor - 1GB RAM
would be nice but 10/100MBit ethernet is required.
Unfortunately I can't find only ARM boards (100-150 USD).
Could you recommend me a MIPS board for development (I don't want to
have an old Indigo, O2 or Octane).
thank you and best regards,
Oliver

* Re: development board?
@ 2012-07-20 11:38 ` John Long
From: John Long @ 2012-07-20 11:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-mips

On Thu, Jul 19, 2012 at 09:15:00PM +0200, Oliver Kowalke wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm searching for an development board with a MIPS processor - 1GB
> RAM would be nice but 10/100MBit ethernet is required.
> Unfortunately I can't find only ARM boards (100-150 USD).
> Could you recommend me a MIPS board for development (I don't want to
> have an old Indigo, O2 or Octane).
> thank you and best regards,
> Oliver

Hi,

I am emailing you from my Lemote Fuloong. It is an 800 MHz MIPS-III+ box. It
has 512M of RAM and comes in a nice enclosure. List price is about $190 but
I have seen some invitations on various mailing lists from Lemote for
developer discounts. http://www.lemote.com/en

If this is too expensive or you really prefer a dev board instead of an SBC
then what about MIPS Malta? They don't list the price on their site but it
is supposed to be a good board with good doc and I believe various BSD
support it in addition to Linux.
http://www.mips.com/products/development-kits/

--
ASCII ribbon campaign ( ) Powered by Lemote Fuloong
 against HTML e-mail   X  Loongson MIPS and OpenBSD

* Re: development board?
@ 2012-07-20 12:00   ` Ralf Baechle
From: Ralf Baechle @ 2012-07-20 12:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Long; +Cc: linux-mips

On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 11:38:17AM +0000, John Long wrote:

> If this is too expensive or you really prefer a dev board instead of an SBC
> then what about MIPS Malta? They don't list the price on their site but it
> is supposed to be a good board with good doc and I believe various BSD
> support it in addition to Linux.
> http://www.mips.com/products/development-kits/

The Malta is very expensive and also is a very old design.  On top of that
a Malta is just an ATX-format base board which needs a CPU card.  A
typical CPU card contains one or two of the biggest FPGAs money can buy
so the CPU itself can be replaced by loading a bitfile.  That is very
appealing to hardware developers but the FPGA dictate a very juicy price.

  Ralf

* Re: development board?
@ 2012-08-02 14:25 ` Kaj-Michael Lang
From: Kaj-Michael Lang @ 2012-08-02 14:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-mips

On Thu, 2012-07-19 at 21:15 +0200, Oliver Kowalke wrote:
> I'm searching for an development board with a MIPS processor - 1GB
> RAM
> would be nice but 10/100MBit ethernet is required.

Don't know about the ethernet part, but you could check out the very
cheap mips based android tablets. Search for Ainol Novo 7 Paladin for
example, under 100€.

Anyone tried getting plain-old-linux running on one?

--
Kaj-Michael Lang <milang@tal.org>

* Re: development board?
@ 2012-08-03  6:22   ` Ralf Baechle
From: Ralf Baechle @ 2012-08-03  6:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kaj-Michael Lang; +Cc: linux-mips

On Thu, Aug 02, 2012 at 05:25:13PM +0300, Kaj-Michael Lang wrote:

> On Thu, 2012-07-19 at 21:15 +0200, Oliver Kowalke wrote:
> > I'm searching for an development board with a MIPS processor - 1GB
> > RAM
> > would be nice but 10/100MBit ethernet is required.
>
> Don't know about the ethernet part, but you could check out the very
> cheap mips based android tablets. Search for Ainol Novo 7 Paladin for
> example, under 100€.
>
> Anyone tried getting plain-old-linux running on one?

I suggest that whoever has suggestions for suitable boards should list
them including key technical data such as kernel / distribution support,
CPU type, 32/64 bit, endianess, price, peripherals, manufacturing status
and availability.

  Ralf

* Re: development board?
@ 2012-08-03 15:40     ` Oliver Kowalke
From: Oliver Kowalke @ 2012-08-03 15:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ralf Baechle, milang; +Cc: linux-mips

I'll try MikroTik RouterBOARD 450G:

    CPU: AR7161 680MHz
    Memory 256MB DDR SDRAM onboard memory
    Boot loader RouterBOOT
    Data storage 512MB onboard NAND memory chip, microSD slot on back side
    Ethernet Five 10/100/1000 Mbit/s Ethernet ports with Auto-MDI/X
    miniPCI none
    Extras Reset switch, Beeper
    Serial port One DB9 RS232C asynchronous serial port
    Power, NAND activity, 5 user LEDs
    Power options Power over Ethernet: 18-28V DC (except power over datalines). Power jack: 8-28V DC
    Dimensions 9 cm x 11.5 cm, 105 grams
    Operating System MikroTik RouterOS v3, Level5 license
    Actual tested throughput
        Ether1 <-> Ether2 = 1Gbps
        Ether2 <-> Ether3 = 650Mbps

openvrt/debvrt support this board

(no FPU)

Oliver

> On Thu, Aug 02, 2012 at 05:25:13PM +0300, Kaj-Michael Lang wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 2012-07-19 at 21:15 +0200, Oliver Kowalke wrote:
> > > I'm searching for an development board with a MIPS processor - 1GB
> > > RAM
> > > would be nice but 10/100MBit ethernet is required.
> >
> > Don't know about the ethernet part, but you could check out the very
> > cheap mips based android tablets. Search for Ainol Novo 7 Paladin for
> > example, under 100€.
> >
> > Anyone tried getting plain-old-linux running on one?
>
> I suggest that whoever has suggestions for suitable boards should list
> them including key technical data such as kernel / distribution support,
> CPU type, 32/64 bit, endianess, price, peripherals, manufacturing status
> and availability.
>
>   Ralf

* Re: development board?
@ 2012-08-03 15:46       ` Oliver Kowalke
From: Oliver Kowalke @ 2012-08-03 15:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Oliver Kowalke, milang, ralf; +Cc: linux-mips

Atheros AR7161 == 32-bit MIPS 24K processor core

price ca 85,- euros