* [B.A.T.M.A.N.] RFC: Migration to a new git server backend
@ 2012-07-21 23:43 Sven Eckelmann
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Sven Eckelmann @ 2012-07-21 23:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: b.a.t.m.a.n

maybe some of you have seen that I talked in the channel to Antonio whether we
should migrate to a different solution to serve our git repositories. This is
(in my opinion) a good idea because gitosis [1] (the software that we are
currently using) isn't maintained anymore and will be dropped [2] in the next
version of Debian. My preferred replacement is gitolite [3].

I already talked with Simon and discussed what side effect this could have.
Maybe side effects is not the correct word to describe it... lets call it
options. Gitolite allows to define access rights for refs. For people that are
not familiar with the storage in git: You can for example say that people can
only commit to branches with a specific prefix.

Just to give an example. We want that only the release team can create tags ->
refs/tags/ is only marked for the release team as read-write. Now we have more
interesting features like ordex is only allowed to write in branches starting
with ordex/ -> refs/heads/ordex/ is marked as rw for ordex.

Now the question is: Do we want to use this feature or not. We had following
ideas:

1. 1 repository per project

   use only one repo for each project (batman-adv, batctl, batmand, ...) and
   use branch namespaces for individual users:
   * master, next, maint for the main stuff
   * ordex/ (for example ordex/dat), hundeboll/, ... for users
   * tags only for release team

2. 2 repositories per project

   use one official repo for each project (batman-adv, batctl, batmand, ...)
   and one for other people
   * master, next, maint in both repos (synced from the main one)
   * ordex/ (for example ordex/dat), hundeboll/, ... for users in the second
     repo
   * tags in both repositories allowed (but in the second repo only with
     user prefix)

3. 1+x repositories per project

   Keep everything like now
   * master, next, maint for the main stuff
   * each user has his own copy of the main repo in his user folder
   * tags can freely commit in his own repo

Special repositories with big differences like linux-merge are kept in a
special repository.

Any other suggestions? Do you prefer any idea? Please also add other ideas
like "user folder names for idea 3 have to start with a ~ and non-user folder
names have to start with a +".

Kind regards,
	Sven

[1] https://github.com/tv42/gitosis
[2] http://packages.qa.debian.org/g/gitosis/news/20110909T215628Z.html
[3] https://github.com/sitaramc/gitolite

* Re: [B.A.T.M.A.N.] RFC: Migration to a new git server backend
@ 2012-07-23 12:08 ` Sven Eckelmann
From: Sven Eckelmann @ 2012-07-23 12:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: b.a.t.m.a.n

I was just asked whether the repo urls will change. I can only say for sure
that the administration URL url will be changed. But to the rest...

On Sunday 22 July 2012 01:43:25 Sven Eckelmann wrote:
> Now the question is: Do we want to use this feature or not. We had following
> ideas:
>
> 1. 1 repository per project
>
>    use only one repo for each project (batman-adv, batctl, batmand, ...) and
> use branch namespaces for individual users:
>    * master, next, maint for the main stuff
>    * ordex/ (for example ordex/dat), hundeboll/, ... for users
>    * tags only for release team

I would like not to change the repo URL for the main repository. The other
repositories would disappear and therefore their URLs get changed.

> 2. 2 repositories per project
>
>    use one official repo for each project (batman-adv, batctl, batmand, ...)
> and one for other people
>    * master, next, maint in both repos (synced from the main one)
>    * ordex/ (for example ordex/dat), hundeboll/, ... for users in the second
> repo
>    * tags in both repositories allowed (but in the second repo only with
>      user prefix)

The main repo would have the same URL as before. The other URLs get mapped to
the second user repo.

> 3. 1+x repositories per project
>
>    Keep everything like now
>    * master, next, maint for the main stuff
>    * each user has his own copy of the main repo in his user folder
>    * tags can freely commit in his own repo

We would have the same URLs for the repos as before.

Of course, if you have any other ideas about the folder structure then please
discuss it now.

Kind regards,
	Sven

* Re: [B.A.T.M.A.N.] RFC: Migration to a new git server backend
@ 2012-07-25 20:22 ` Simon Wunderlich
From: Simon Wunderlich @ 2012-07-25 20:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The list for a Better Approach To Mobile Ad-hoc Networking

Hey,

On Sun, Jul 22, 2012 at 01:43:25AM +0200, Sven Eckelmann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> maybe some of you have seen that I talked in the channel to Antonio whether we
> should migrate to a different solution to serve our git repositories. This is
> (in my opinion) a good idea because gitosis [1] (the software that we are
> currently using) isn't maintained anymore and will be dropped [2] in the next
> version of Debian. My preferred replacement is gitolite [3].
>
> I already talked with Simon and discussed what side effect this could have.
> Maybe side effects is not the correct word to describe it... lets call it
> options. Gitolite allows to define access rights for refs. For people that are
> not familiar with the storage in git: You can for example say that people can
> only commit to branches with a specific prefix.
>
> Just to give an example. We want that only the release team can create tags ->
> refs/tags/ is only marked for the release team as read-write. Now we have more
> interesting features like ordex is only allowed to write in branches starting
> with ordex/ -> refs/heads/ordex/ is marked as rw for ordex.
>
> Now the question is: Do we want to use this feature or not. We had following
> ideas:
>
> 1. 1 repository per project
>
>    use only one repo for each project (batman-adv, batctl, batmand, ...) and
>    use branch namespaces for individual users:
>    * master, next, maint for the main stuff
>    * ordex/ (for example ordex/dat), hundeboll/, ... for users
>    * tags only for release team
>
> 2. 2 repositories per project
>
>    use one official repo for each project (batman-adv, batctl, batmand, ...)
>    and one for other people
>    * master, next, maint in both repos (synced from the main one)
>    * ordex/ (for example ordex/dat), hundeboll/, ... for users in the second
>      repo
>    * tags in both repositories allowed (but in the second repo only with
>      user prefix)
>
> 3. 1+x repositories per project
>
>    Keep everything like now
>    * master, next, maint for the main stuff
>    * each user has his own copy of the main repo in his user folder
>    * tags can freely commit in his own repo
>
> Special repositories with big differences like linux-merge are kept in a
> special repository.

I'd prefer to go with option one, or maybe two. To me, it looks like having tags
is the main practical difference? (I don't use any, but maybe others do ...).

Changing the repos is more a cosmetic change IMHO and may decrease administration
work. I have no practical concerns whatsoever, but git.open-mesh.org will look
more beautiful :)

Cheers,
	Simon

* Re: [B.A.T.M.A.N.] RFC: Migration to a new git server backend
@ 2012-07-29 17:49 ` Sven Eckelmann
From: Sven Eckelmann @ 2012-07-29 17:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: b.a.t.m.a.n; +Cc: Martin Hundebøll, Spyros Gasteratos, Marek Lindner

On Sunday 22 July 2012 01:43:25 Sven Eckelmann wrote:
> 1. 1 repository per project
>
>    use only one repo for each project (batman-adv, batctl, batmand, ...) and
> use branch namespaces for individual users:
>    * master, next, maint for the main stuff
>    * ordex/ (for example ordex/dat), hundeboll/, ... for users
>    * tags only for release team

The vote ended with candidate one as winner. I dedicated my sunday to the
migration from gitosis to gitolite and think that it is now in a usable state.

Following repositories were removed:

hundeboll/batctl.git
hundeboll/batman-adv.git
hundeboll/catwoman.git
marek/batctl.git
marek/batman-adv.git
montik/batctl.git
montik/batman-adv.git
northpole/batctl.git
northpole/batman-adv.git
ordex/batctl.git
ordex/batman-adv.git
simon/batctl.git
simon/batman-adv.git
t_x/batctl.git
t_x/batman-adv.git

The branches were migrated to the main repositories batman-adv.git and
batctl.git. Simon Wunderlich, Marek Lindner and I have full access to these
repositories. Following users have full access to their own branch namespaces

refs/heads/hundeboll/ - Martin Hundebøll
refs/heads/linus/     - Linus Lüssing
refs/heads/marek/     - Marek Lindner
refs/heads/montik/    - Edo Monticelli
refs/heads/northpole/ - Spyros Gasteratos
refs/heads/ordex/     - Antonio Quartulli
refs/heads/simon/     - Simon Wunderlich

I would like to ask these people to change to the new repositories. All URLs
to the non-user repositories weren't affected by these changes.

Kind regards,
	Sven

* Re: [B.A.T.M.A.N.] RFC: Migration to a new git server backend
@ 2012-07-29 18:17   ` Marek Lindner
From: Marek Lindner @ 2012-07-29 18:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: b.a.t.m.a.n; +Cc: Martin Hundebøll, Spyros Gasteratos

On Sunday, July 29, 2012 19:49:28 Sven Eckelmann wrote:
> The branches were migrated to the main repositories batman-adv.git and
> batctl.git. Simon Wunderlich, Marek Lindner and I have full access to
> these  repositories. Following users have full access to their own branch
> namespaces
>
> refs/heads/hundeboll/ - Martin Hundebøll
> refs/heads/linus/     - Linus Lüssing
> refs/heads/marek/     - Marek Lindner
> refs/heads/montik/    - Edo Monticelli
> refs/heads/northpole/ - Spyros Gasteratos
> refs/heads/ordex/     - Antonio Quartulli
> refs/heads/simon/     - Simon Wunderlich
>
> I would like to ask these people to change to the new repositories. All
> URLs  to the non-user repositories weren't affected by these changes.

Works for me! Good job!

Thanks,
Marek

* Re: [B.A.T.M.A.N.] RFC: Migration to a new git server backend
@ 2012-07-29 18:29   ` Antonio Quartulli
From: Antonio Quartulli @ 2012-07-29 18:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sven Eckelmann
  Cc: Martin Hundebøll, b.a.t.m.a.n, Spyros Gasteratos, Marek Lindner