* Reminder - rmk still on vacation
@ 2012-07-25 14:12 Russell King - ARM Linux
From: Russell King - ARM Linux @ 2012-07-25 14:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

Just a quick reminder that I'm still on holiday, and at this point there
are over 2500 messages from the mailing lists which are sitting unread
since I left the UK.  As I mentioned before I left the UK, it is my
intention *not* to go back and read all those outstanding messages -
there's too many of them to do that.

So, if you want me to react to any email message you've sent, you'd
*better* send it again next week unless I've already responded.

Meanwhile, I see v3.5 has been released; I have a couple of things I
need to do with my tree before I can push the changes, and I'll
probably see about sorting those out over the weekend.  I also see
that 14 new patches have landed in the patch system.

However, the timing of my holiday vs the merge window means that I
can't take anything new, unless they're fixes, so don't be surprised
if some stuff gets missed this merge window.

* rmk back but still recovering (was Re: Reminder - rmk still on vacation)
@ 2012-07-27 13:42   ` Russell King - ARM Linux
From: Russell King - ARM Linux @ 2012-07-27 13:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel, linux-omap

On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 03:12:22PM +0100, Russell King - ARM Linux wrote:
> Just a quick reminder that I'm still on holiday, and at this point there
> are over 2500 messages from the mailing lists which are sitting unread
> since I left the UK.  As I mentioned before I left the UK, it is my
> intention *not* to go back and read all those outstanding messages -
> there's too many of them to do that.
>
> So, if you want me to react to any email message you've sent, you'd
> *better* send it again next week unless I've already responded.
>
> Meanwhile, I see v3.5 has been released; I have a couple of things I
> need to do with my tree before I can push the changes, and I'll
> probably see about sorting those out over the weekend.  I also see
> that 14 new patches have landed in the patch system.
>
> However, the timing of my holiday vs the merge window means that I
> can't take anything new, unless they're fixes, so don't be surprised
> if some stuff gets missed this merge window.

Right.  I'm not fully recovered from the jet lag (I'm still rather tired
- I hate travelling back from the North American continent because it
takes days to recover.)

I have now archived off *all* email sent to me during July - which means
that I will *NOT* be responding to anything sent during the last 17 days.
If anyone has sent me anything important, it *MUST* be resent now.

I am aware of an issue concerning the OMAP DMA patches.  I'm not sure
exactly what is required there, so I've dropped them from my planned pull
request in the interests of getting everything else I have to Linus.  I
may plan to send a pull request this evening.

I've not yet looked at merging *anything* which is in the patch system,
that's for when I feel more awake.

From: Russell King - ARM Linux @ 2012-07-27 13:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 03:12:22PM +0100, Russell King - ARM Linux wrote:
> Just a quick reminder that I'm still on holiday, and at this point there
> are over 2500 messages from the mailing lists which are sitting unread
> since I left the UK.  As I mentioned before I left the UK, it is my
> intention *not* to go back and read all those outstanding messages -
> there's too many of them to do that.
>
> So, if you want me to react to any email message you've sent, you'd
> *better* send it again next week unless I've already responded.
>
> Meanwhile, I see v3.5 has been released; I have a couple of things I
> need to do with my tree before I can push the changes, and I'll
> probably see about sorting those out over the weekend.  I also see
> that 14 new patches have landed in the patch system.
>
> However, the timing of my holiday vs the merge window means that I
> can't take anything new, unless they're fixes, so don't be surprised
> if some stuff gets missed this merge window.

Right.  I'm not fully recovered from the jet lag (I'm still rather tired
- I hate travelling back from the North American continent because it
takes days to recover.)

I have now archived off *all* email sent to me during July - which means
that I will *NOT* be responding to anything sent during the last 17 days.
If anyone has sent me anything important, it *MUST* be resent now.

I am aware of an issue concerning the OMAP DMA patches.  I'm not sure
exactly what is required there, so I've dropped them from my planned pull
request in the interests of getting everything else I have to Linus.  I
may plan to send a pull request this evening.

I've not yet looked at merging *anything* which is in the patch system,
that's for when I feel more awake.

* Re: rmk back but still recovering (was Re: Reminder - rmk still on vacation)
@ 2012-07-27 15:20     ` Jon Hunter
From: Jon Hunter @ 2012-07-27 15:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Russell King - ARM Linux; +Cc: linux-arm-kernel, linux-omap

Hi Russell,

On 07/27/2012 08:42 AM, Russell King - ARM Linux wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 03:12:22PM +0100, Russell King - ARM Linux wrote:
>> Just a quick reminder that I'm still on holiday, and at this point there
>> are over 2500 messages from the mailing lists which are sitting unread
>> since I left the UK.  As I mentioned before I left the UK, it is my
>> intention *not* to go back and read all those outstanding messages -
>> there's too many of them to do that.
>>
>> So, if you want me to react to any email message you've sent, you'd
>> *better* send it again next week unless I've already responded.
>>
>> Meanwhile, I see v3.5 has been released; I have a couple of things I
>> need to do with my tree before I can push the changes, and I'll
>> probably see about sorting those out over the weekend.  I also see
>> that 14 new patches have landed in the patch system.
>>
>> However, the timing of my holiday vs the merge window means that I
>> can't take anything new, unless they're fixes, so don't be surprised
>> if some stuff gets missed this merge window.
>
> Right.  I'm not fully recovered from the jet lag (I'm still rather tired
> - I hate travelling back from the North American continent because it
> takes days to recover.)

Welcome back!

> I have now archived off *all* email sent to me during July - which means
> that I will *NOT* be responding to anything sent during the last 17 days.
> If anyone has sent me anything important, it *MUST* be resent now.

I took a look at your git tree and I am not sure if I have missed it,
but wanted to check if have [1] queued?

Thanks
Jon

[1] http://marc.info/?l=linux-omap&m=134053393317444&w=2

From: Jon Hunter @ 2012-07-27 15:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

Hi Russell,

On 07/27/2012 08:42 AM, Russell King - ARM Linux wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 03:12:22PM +0100, Russell King - ARM Linux wrote:
>> Just a quick reminder that I'm still on holiday, and at this point there
>> are over 2500 messages from the mailing lists which are sitting unread
>> since I left the UK.  As I mentioned before I left the UK, it is my
>> intention *not* to go back and read all those outstanding messages -
>> there's too many of them to do that.
>>
>> So, if you want me to react to any email message you've sent, you'd
>> *better* send it again next week unless I've already responded.
>>
>> Meanwhile, I see v3.5 has been released; I have a couple of things I
>> need to do with my tree before I can push the changes, and I'll
>> probably see about sorting those out over the weekend.  I also see
>> that 14 new patches have landed in the patch system.
>>
>> However, the timing of my holiday vs the merge window means that I
>> can't take anything new, unless they're fixes, so don't be surprised
>> if some stuff gets missed this merge window.
>
> Right.  I'm not fully recovered from the jet lag (I'm still rather tired
> - I hate travelling back from the North American continent because it
> takes days to recover.)

Welcome back!

@ 2012-07-27 15:28       ` Russell King - ARM Linux
From: Russell King - ARM Linux @ 2012-07-27 15:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jon Hunter; +Cc: linux-arm-kernel, linux-omap

On Fri, Jul 27, 2012 at 10:20:32AM -0500, Jon Hunter wrote:
> Hi Russell,
>
> On 07/27/2012 08:42 AM, Russell King - ARM Linux wrote:
> > On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 03:12:22PM +0100, Russell King - ARM Linux wrote:
> >> Just a quick reminder that I'm still on holiday, and at this point there
> >> are over 2500 messages from the mailing lists which are sitting unread
> >> since I left the UK.  As I mentioned before I left the UK, it is my
> >> intention *not* to go back and read all those outstanding messages -
> >> there's too many of them to do that.
> >>
> >> So, if you want me to react to any email message you've sent, you'd
> >> *better* send it again next week unless I've already responded.
> >>
> >> Meanwhile, I see v3.5 has been released; I have a couple of things I
> >> need to do with my tree before I can push the changes, and I'll
> >> probably see about sorting those out over the weekend.  I also see
> >> that 14 new patches have landed in the patch system.
> >>
> >> However, the timing of my holiday vs the merge window means that I
> >> can't take anything new, unless they're fixes, so don't be surprised
> >> if some stuff gets missed this merge window.
> >
> > Right.  I'm not fully recovered from the jet lag (I'm still rather tired
> > - I hate travelling back from the North American continent because it
> > takes days to recover.)
>
> Welcome back!
>
> > I have now archived off *all* email sent to me during July - which means
> > that I will *NOT* be responding to anything sent during the last 17 days.
> > If anyone has sent me anything important, it *MUST* be resent now.
>
> I took a look at your git tree and I am not sure if I have missed it,
> but wanted to check if have [1] queued?

Well, it isn't in the patch system, so I guess it never got applied.

From: Russell King - ARM Linux @ 2012-07-27 15:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

@ 2012-07-27 16:08     ` Shilimkar, Santosh
From: Shilimkar, Santosh @ 2012-07-27 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Russell King - ARM Linux; +Cc: linux-arm-kernel, linux-omap

On Fri, Jul 27, 2012 at 3:42 PM, Russell King - ARM Linux
<linux@arm.linux.org.uk> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 03:12:22PM +0100, Russell King - ARM Linux wrote:
>> Just a quick reminder that I'm still on holiday, and at this point there
>> are over 2500 messages from the mailing lists which are sitting unread
>> since I left the UK.  As I mentioned before I left the UK, it is my
>> intention *not* to go back and read all those outstanding messages -
>> there's too many of them to do that.
>>
>> So, if you want me to react to any email message you've sent, you'd
>> *better* send it again next week unless I've already responded.
>>
>> Meanwhile, I see v3.5 has been released; I have a couple of things I
>> need to do with my tree before I can push the changes, and I'll
>> probably see about sorting those out over the weekend.  I also see
>> that 14 new patches have landed in the patch system.
>>
>> However, the timing of my holiday vs the merge window means that I
>> can't take anything new, unless they're fixes, so don't be surprised
>> if some stuff gets missed this merge window.
>
> Right.  I'm not fully recovered from the jet lag (I'm still rather tired
> - I hate travelling back from the North American continent because it
> takes days to recover.)
>
> I have now archived off *all* email sent to me during July - which means
> that I will *NOT* be responding to anything sent during the last 17 days.
> If anyone has sent me anything important, it *MUST* be resent now.
>
> I am aware of an issue concerning the OMAP DMA patches.  I'm not sure
> exactly what is required there, so I've dropped them from my planned pull
> request in the interests of getting everything else I have to Linus.  I
> may plan to send a pull request this evening.

Well the only pending discussion was enabling the CONFIG option for
DMA at driver level SOC config level. Not sure if there was anything else
on this really.

Regards
Santosh

From: Shilimkar, Santosh @ 2012-07-27 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

@ 2012-07-27 16:50       ` Russell King - ARM Linux
From: Russell King - ARM Linux @ 2012-07-27 16:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Shilimkar, Santosh; +Cc: linux-arm-kernel, linux-omap

On Fri, Jul 27, 2012 at 06:08:13PM +0200, Shilimkar, Santosh wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 27, 2012 at 3:42 PM, Russell King - ARM Linux
> <linux@arm.linux.org.uk> wrote:
> > On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 03:12:22PM +0100, Russell King - ARM Linux wrote:
> >> Just a quick reminder that I'm still on holiday, and at this point there
> >> are over 2500 messages from the mailing lists which are sitting unread
> >> since I left the UK.  As I mentioned before I left the UK, it is my
> >> intention *not* to go back and read all those outstanding messages -
> >> there's too many of them to do that.
> >>
> >> So, if you want me to react to any email message you've sent, you'd
> >> *better* send it again next week unless I've already responded.
> >>
> >> Meanwhile, I see v3.5 has been released; I have a couple of things I
> >> need to do with my tree before I can push the changes, and I'll
> >> probably see about sorting those out over the weekend.  I also see
> >> that 14 new patches have landed in the patch system.
> >>
> >> However, the timing of my holiday vs the merge window means that I
> >> can't take anything new, unless they're fixes, so don't be surprised
> >> if some stuff gets missed this merge window.
> >
> > Right.  I'm not fully recovered from the jet lag (I'm still rather tired
> > - I hate travelling back from the North American continent because it
> > takes days to recover.)
> >
> > I have now archived off *all* email sent to me during July - which means
> > that I will *NOT* be responding to anything sent during the last 17 days.
> > If anyone has sent me anything important, it *MUST* be resent now.
> >
> > I am aware of an issue concerning the OMAP DMA patches.  I'm not sure
> > exactly what is required there, so I've dropped them from my planned pull
> > request in the interests of getting everything else I have to Linus.  I
> > may plan to send a pull request this evening.
> >
> Well the only pending discussion was enabling the CONFIG option for
> DMA at driver level SOC config level. Not sure if there was anything else
> on this really.

Why?  The DMA driver itself is optional.

From: Russell King - ARM Linux @ 2012-07-27 16:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

@ 2012-07-28  8:10         ` Shilimkar, Santosh
From: Shilimkar, Santosh @ 2012-07-28  8:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Russell King - ARM Linux; +Cc: linux-arm-kernel, linux-omap

On Fri, Jul 27, 2012 at 6:50 PM, Russell King - ARM Linux
<linux@arm.linux.org.uk> wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 27, 2012 at 06:08:13PM +0200, Shilimkar, Santosh wrote:
>> On Fri, Jul 27, 2012 at 3:42 PM, Russell King - ARM Linux
>> <linux@arm.linux.org.uk> wrote:

>> > Right.  I'm not fully recovered from the jet lag (I'm still rather tired
>> > - I hate travelling back from the North American continent because it
>> > takes days to recover.)
>> >
>> > I have now archived off *all* email sent to me during July - which means
>> > that I will *NOT* be responding to anything sent during the last 17 days.
>> > If anyone has sent me anything important, it *MUST* be resent now.
>> >
>> > I am aware of an issue concerning the OMAP DMA patches.  I'm not sure
>> > exactly what is required there, so I've dropped them from my planned pull
>> > request in the interests of getting everything else I have to Linus.  I
>> > may plan to send a pull request this evening.
>> >
>> Well the only pending discussion was enabling the CONFIG option for
>> DMA at driver level SOC config level. Not sure if there was anything else
>> on this really.
>
> Why?  The DMA driver itself is optional.
That was Tony's point too. Unfortunately MMC and SPI driver don't work
today without DMA. Some works needs to be done to support polling
mode and am bit skeptical if it is really worth it. Same case be with other
SDMA supported drivers mostly.

Regards
Santosh

From: Shilimkar, Santosh @ 2012-07-28  8:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

@ 2012-07-30  5:51           ` S, Venkatraman
From: S, Venkatraman @ 2012-07-30  5:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Shilimkar, Santosh, Tony Lindgren, Russell King - ARM Linux
  Cc: linux-arm-kernel, linux-omap, Chris Ball

On Sat, Jul 28, 2012 at 1:40 PM, Shilimkar, Santosh
<santosh.shilimkar@ti.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 27, 2012 at 6:50 PM, Russell King - ARM Linux
> <linux@arm.linux.org.uk> wrote:
>> On Fri, Jul 27, 2012 at 06:08:13PM +0200, Shilimkar, Santosh wrote:

>>> Well the only pending discussion was enabling the CONFIG option for
>>> DMA at driver level SOC config level. Not sure if there was anything else
>>> on this really.
>>
>> Why?  The DMA driver itself is optional.
> That was Tony's point too. Unfortunately MMC and SPI driver don't work
> today without DMA. Some works needs to be done to support polling
> mode and am bit skeptical if it is really worth it. Same case be with other
> SDMA supported drivers mostly.

Russell, Tony,
  Can I request to include the DMA & MMC changes into this merge window ?
We have many cleanups and new patches waiting to be queued up for next (3.7)
merge window, and it'd be easier if they are implemented on top of the
DMA changes,
so that it gets tested together, and don't create merge conflicts.
  I am looking into implementing polling mode, which might take some time.
Regards,
Venkat

From: S, Venkatraman @ 2012-07-30  5:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

@ 2012-07-30  7:40             ` Shilimkar, Santosh
From: Shilimkar, Santosh @ 2012-07-30  7:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: S, Venkatraman
  Cc: Tony Lindgren, Russell King - ARM Linux, linux-arm-kernel,
	linux-omap, Chris Ball, Shubhrajyoti Datta

On Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 7:51 AM, S, Venkatraman <svenkatr@ti.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 28, 2012 at 1:40 PM, Shilimkar, Santosh
> <santosh.shilimkar@ti.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, Jul 27, 2012 at 6:50 PM, Russell King - ARM Linux
>> <linux@arm.linux.org.uk> wrote:

>>> Why?  The DMA driver itself is optional.
>> That was Tony's point too. Unfortunately MMC and SPI driver don't work
>> today without DMA. Some works needs to be done to support polling
>> mode and am bit skeptical if it is really worth it. Same case be with other
>> SDMA supported drivers mostly.
>>
> Russell, Tony,
>   Can I request to include the DMA & MMC changes into this merge window ?
> We have many cleanups and new patches waiting to be queued up for next (3.7)
> merge window, and it'd be easier if they are implemented on top of the
> DMA changes,
> so that it gets tested together, and don't create merge conflicts.
>   I am looking into implementing polling mode, which might take some time.

Thanks Venkat. For the SPI driver as well I heard from Shubro (in cc) that
he is looking into polling mode.

IMHO, we should merge the OMAP DMA engine support which is now sufficiently
tested and has been in linux-next for some time. Polling mode and ASOC
related issues can be then debugged directly on mainline.
For the time being, the SOC patch which Tony merged in linux-omap
master can be included along with rest of the OMAP DMA engine patches
to have working kernel.

Regards
Santosh

From: Shilimkar, Santosh @ 2012-07-30  7:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

@ 2012-07-30  8:26               ` Shubhrajyoti Datta
From: Shubhrajyoti Datta @ 2012-07-30  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Shilimkar, Santosh
  Cc: S, Venkatraman, Tony Lindgren, Russell King - ARM Linux,
	linux-arm-kernel, linux-omap, Chris Ball, Shubhrajyoti Datta

On Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 1:10 PM, Shilimkar, Santosh
<santosh.shilimkar@ti.com> wrote:
[...]
>>> That was Tony's point too. Unfortunately MMC and SPI driver don't work
>>> today without DMA. Some works needs to be done to support polling
>>> mode and am bit skeptical if it is really worth it. Same case be with other
>>> SDMA supported drivers mostly.
>>>
>> Russell, Tony,
>>   Can I request to include the DMA & MMC changes into this merge window ?
>> We have many cleanups and new patches waiting to be queued up for next (3.7)
>> merge window, and it'd be easier if they are implemented on top of the
>> DMA changes,
>> so that it gets tested together, and don't create merge conflicts.
>>   I am looking into implementing polling mode, which might take some time.
>
> Thanks Venkat. For the SPI driver as well I heard from Shubro (in cc) that
> he is looking into polling mode.

I had a patch in case of errors falling back to poll mode

http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-omap/msg74417.html

From: Shubhrajyoti Datta @ 2012-07-30  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

@ 2012-07-30 14:33               ` Russell King - ARM Linux
From: Russell King - ARM Linux @ 2012-07-30 14:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Shilimkar, Santosh
  Cc: S, Venkatraman, Tony Lindgren, linux-arm-kernel, linux-omap,

On Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 09:40:27AM +0200, Shilimkar, Santosh wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 7:51 AM, S, Venkatraman <svenkatr@ti.com> wrote:
> > On Sat, Jul 28, 2012 at 1:40 PM, Shilimkar, Santosh
> > <santosh.shilimkar@ti.com> wrote:

> >> That was Tony's point too. Unfortunately MMC and SPI driver don't work
> >> today without DMA. Some works needs to be done to support polling
> >> mode and am bit skeptical if it is really worth it. Same case be with other
> >> SDMA supported drivers mostly.
> >>
> > Russell, Tony,
> >   Can I request to include the DMA & MMC changes into this merge window ?
> > We have many cleanups and new patches waiting to be queued up for next (3.7)
> > merge window, and it'd be easier if they are implemented on top of the
> > DMA changes,
> > so that it gets tested together, and don't create merge conflicts.
> >   I am looking into implementing polling mode, which might take some time.
>
> Thanks Venkat. For the SPI driver as well I heard from Shubro (in cc) that
> he is looking into polling mode.
>
> IMHO, we should merge the OMAP DMA engine support which is now sufficiently
> tested and has been in linux-next for some time. Polling mode and ASOC
> related issues can be then debugged directly on mainline.
> For the time being, the SOC patch which Tony merged in linux-omap
> master can be included along with rest of the OMAP DMA engine patches
> to have working kernel.

So I take that as you wanting exactly what is in linux-next merged without
any further changes?

From: Russell King - ARM Linux @ 2012-07-30 14:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

@ 2012-07-30 14:37                 ` Shilimkar, Santosh
From: Shilimkar, Santosh @ 2012-07-30 14:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Russell King - ARM Linux
  Cc: S, Venkatraman, Tony Lindgren, linux-arm-kernel, linux-omap,
	Chris Ball, Shubhrajyoti Datta

On Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 4:33 PM, Russell King - ARM Linux
<linux@arm.linux.org.uk> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 09:40:27AM +0200, Shilimkar, Santosh wrote:
>> On Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 7:51 AM, S, Venkatraman <svenkatr@ti.com> wrote:

>> > Russell, Tony,
>> >   Can I request to include the DMA & MMC changes into this merge window ?
>> > We have many cleanups and new patches waiting to be queued up for next (3.7)
>> > merge window, and it'd be easier if they are implemented on top of the
>> > DMA changes,
>> > so that it gets tested together, and don't create merge conflicts.
>> >   I am looking into implementing polling mode, which might take some time.
>>
>> Thanks Venkat. For the SPI driver as well I heard from Shubro (in cc) that
>> he is looking into polling mode.
>>
>> IMHO, we should merge the OMAP DMA engine support which is now sufficiently
>> tested and has been in linux-next for some time. Polling mode and ASOC
>> related issues can be then debugged directly on mainline.
>> For the time being, the SOC patch which Tony merged in linux-omap
>> master can be included along with rest of the OMAP DMA engine patches
>> to have working kernel.
>
> So I take that as you wanting exactly what is in linux-next merged without
> any further changes?

Just one patch[1] on top of that so that default omap2plus_defconfig
keeps working.

Regards
Santosh

[1] https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/1220141/

From: Shilimkar, Santosh @ 2012-07-30 14:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

@ 2012-07-30 14:44                   ` Russell King - ARM Linux
From: Russell King - ARM Linux @ 2012-07-30 14:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Shilimkar, Santosh
  Cc: S, Venkatraman, Tony Lindgren, linux-arm-kernel, linux-omap,

On Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 04:37:09PM +0200, Shilimkar, Santosh wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 4:33 PM, Russell King - ARM Linux
> <linux@arm.linux.org.uk> wrote:
> > So I take that as you wanting exactly what is in linux-next merged without
> > any further changes?
>
> Just one patch[1] on top of that so that default omap2plus_defconfig
> keeps working.

Err, I don't see what that patch does.  Setting ret=-ENXIO at the
start of the function, when it's subsequently overwritten by:

+       int ret = -ENXIO, irq;
        ret = omap_hsmmc_gpio_init(pdata);
	... dma stuff ...

seems absurd.

From: Russell King - ARM Linux @ 2012-07-30 14:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

@ 2012-07-30 14:45               ` Russell King - ARM Linux
From: Russell King - ARM Linux @ 2012-07-30 14:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Shilimkar, Santosh
  Cc: S, Venkatraman, Tony Lindgren, linux-arm-kernel, linux-omap,
	Chris Ball, Shubhrajyoti Datta

On Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 09:40:27AM +0200, Shilimkar, Santosh wrote:
> IMHO, we should merge the OMAP DMA engine support which is now sufficiently
> tested and has been in linux-next for some time. Polling mode and ASOC
> related issues can be then debugged directly on mainline.
> For the time being, the SOC patch which Tony merged in linux-omap
> master can be included along with rest of the OMAP DMA engine patches
> to have working kernel.

BTW, I was referring to the copyright issues which you apparantly raised
while I was away.  I assume you've dropped those objections now.

From: Russell King - ARM Linux @ 2012-07-30 14:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

@ 2012-07-30 14:46                     ` S, Venkatraman
From: S, Venkatraman @ 2012-07-30 14:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Russell King - ARM Linux
  Cc: Shilimkar, Santosh, Tony Lindgren, linux-arm-kernel, linux-omap,
	Chris Ball, Shubhrajyoti Datta

On Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 8:14 PM, Russell King - ARM Linux
<linux@arm.linux.org.uk> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 04:37:09PM +0200, Shilimkar, Santosh wrote:
>> On Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 4:33 PM, Russell King - ARM Linux
>> <linux@arm.linux.org.uk> wrote:
>> > So I take that as you wanting exactly what is in linux-next merged without
>> > any further changes?
>>
>> Just one patch[1] on top of that so that default omap2plus_defconfig
>> keeps working.
>
> Err, I don't see what that patch does.  Setting ret=-ENXIO at the
> start of the function, when it's subsequently overwritten by:
>
> +       int ret = -ENXIO, irq;
>         ret = omap_hsmmc_gpio_init(pdata);
>         ... dma stuff ...
>
> seems absurd.

I think Santosh meant this patch..
http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/tmlind/linux-omap.git;a=commitdiff;h=55936cdfaaf11ac352b56bc58e42d6661e65ee13

From: S, Venkatraman @ 2012-07-30 14:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

@ 2012-07-30 15:19                       ` Javier Martinez Canillas
From: Javier Martinez Canillas @ 2012-07-30 15:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: S, Venkatraman
  Cc: Russell King - ARM Linux, Chris Ball, Tony Lindgren, Shilimkar,
	Santosh, linux-omap, Shubhrajyoti Datta, linux-arm-kernel

On Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 4:46 PM, S, Venkatraman <svenkatr@ti.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 8:14 PM, Russell King - ARM Linux
> <linux@arm.linux.org.uk> wrote:
>> On Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 04:37:09PM +0200, Shilimkar, Santosh wrote:
>>>
>>> Just one patch[1] on top of that so that default omap2plus_defconfig
>>> keeps working.
>>
>> Err, I don't see what that patch does.  Setting ret=-ENXIO at the
>> start of the function, when it's subsequently overwritten by:
>>
>> +       int ret = -ENXIO, irq;
>>         ret = omap_hsmmc_gpio_init(pdata);
>>         ... dma stuff ...
>>
>> seems absurd.
>
> I think Santosh meant this patch..
> http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/tmlind/linux-omap.git;a=commitdiff;h=55936cdfaaf11ac352b56bc58e42d6661e65ee13

That is the patch that fixes the DMA issue with the OMAP MMC and OMAP
MMC HS drivers when OMAP_DMA option is not set, since they still don't
support poll mode without DMA.

Russell, are you going to take the patch from Tony's linux-omap/master
tree or do I have to add the patch to the patch system also?

Thanks a lot and best regards,
Javier

From: Javier Martinez Canillas @ 2012-07-30 15:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

@ 2012-07-30 15:25                         ` Russell King - ARM Linux
From: Russell King - ARM Linux @ 2012-07-30 15:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Javier Martinez Canillas
  Cc: S, Venkatraman, Chris Ball, Tony Lindgren, Shilimkar, Santosh,

On Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 05:19:06PM +0200, Javier Martinez Canillas wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 4:46 PM, S, Venkatraman <svenkatr@ti.com> wrote:
> > On Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 8:14 PM, Russell King - ARM Linux
> > <linux@arm.linux.org.uk> wrote:

> >> Err, I don't see what that patch does.  Setting ret=-ENXIO at the
> >> start of the function, when it's subsequently overwritten by:
> >>
> >> +       int ret = -ENXIO, irq;
> >>         ret = omap_hsmmc_gpio_init(pdata);
> >>         ... dma stuff ...
> >>
> >> seems absurd.
> >
> > I think Santosh meant this patch..
> > http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/tmlind/linux-omap.git;a=commitdiff;h=55936cdfaaf11ac352b56bc58e42d6661e65ee13
>
> That is the patch that fixes the DMA issue with the OMAP MMC and OMAP
> MMC HS drivers when OMAP_DMA option is not set, since they still don't
> support poll mode without DMA.
>
> Russell, are you going to take the patch from Tony's linux-omap/master
> tree or do I have to add the patch to the patch system also?

It'd be better to have it via the patch system, because pulling it out
of a URL isn't an easy task.

From: Russell King - ARM Linux @ 2012-07-30 15:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

@ 2012-07-30 17:02                           ` Tony Lindgren
From: Tony Lindgren @ 2012-07-30 17:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Russell King - ARM Linux
  Cc: Javier Martinez Canillas, S, Venkatraman, Chris Ball, Shilimkar,
	Santosh, linux-omap, Shubhrajyoti Datta, linux-arm-kernel

* Russell King - ARM Linux <linux@arm.linux.org.uk> [120730 08:31]:
> On Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 05:19:06PM +0200, Javier Martinez Canillas wrote:
> > >
> > > I think Santosh meant this patch..
> > > http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/tmlind/linux-omap.git;a=commitdiff;h=55936cdfaaf11ac352b56bc58e42d6661e65ee13
> >
> > That is the patch that fixes the DMA issue with the OMAP MMC and OMAP
> > MMC HS drivers when OMAP_DMA option is not set, since they still don't
> > support poll mode without DMA.
> >
> > Russell, are you going to take the patch from Tony's linux-omap/master
> > tree or do I have to add the patch to the patch system also?
>
> It'd be better to have it via the patch system, because pulling it out
> of a URL isn't an easy task.

Javier, can you please submit it to Russell's patch tracking system?
Please just replace my Signed-off-by with my Acked-by for that patch.

Regards,

Tony

From: Tony Lindgren @ 2012-07-30 17:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

@ 2012-07-30 17:17                             ` Javier Martinez Canillas
From: Javier Martinez Canillas @ 2012-07-30 17:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tony Lindgren
  Cc: Russell King - ARM Linux, S, Venkatraman, Chris Ball, Shilimkar,

On Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 7:02 PM, Tony Lindgren <tony@atomide.com> wrote:
> * Russell King - ARM Linux <linux@arm.linux.org.uk> [120730 08:31]:

>> > That is the patch that fixes the DMA issue with the OMAP MMC and OMAP
>> > MMC HS drivers when OMAP_DMA option is not set, since they still don't
>> > support poll mode without DMA.
>> >
>> > Russell, are you going to take the patch from Tony's linux-omap/master
>> > tree or do I have to add the patch to the patch system also?
>>
>> It'd be better to have it via the patch system, because pulling it out
>> of a URL isn't an easy task.
>
> Javier, can you please submit it to Russell's patch tracking system?
> Please just replace my Signed-off-by with my Acked-by for that patch.
>
> Regards,
>
> Tony

Hi Tony,

I just submitted the patch [1] to Russell's patch system before
reading this email so I left your Signed-off-by instead of Acked-by,
hope this won't be an issue.

Best regards,
Javier

[1] http://www.arm.linux.org.uk/developer/patches/viewpatch.php?id=7481/1