* Fwd: ifconfig / alloc_netdev
       [not found] <CACLebov6riJUQJU489E5mr1_uf+Uh7mo0GYFRWHuP6oENY85QA@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2012-11-06  2:34 ` A B
From: A B @ 2012-11-06  2:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: A B <mailforgroup@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, Nov 5, 2012 at 9:12 PM
Subject: ifconfig / alloc_netdev
To: kernelnewbies at nl.linux.org

Hi,

I'm facing an issue where
ifconfig command output doesn't display the interface that is created
using alloc_netdev and registered using register_netdev.

If i do 'ifconfig -a', i'm seeing the interface which i created.

Under what circumstances does the interface is not shown in ifconfig
output but in 'ifconfig -a' output.

Also, i'm not seeing any packets forwarded to the created interface.
i.e None of the Rx Packets and Tx Packets counters are getting
incremented,

Can any one please let me know your suggestions / any documentation
related to this problem area.

Thank you.

* Fwd: ifconfig / alloc_netdev
@ 2012-11-06  4:36   ` Kumar amit mehta
From: Kumar amit mehta @ 2012-11-06  4:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Mon, Nov 05, 2012 at 09:34:55PM -0500, A B wrote:
> I'm facing an issue where
> ifconfig command output doesn't display the interface that is created
> using alloc_netdev and registered using register_netdev.
>
> If i do 'ifconfig -a', i'm seeing the interface which i created.
>
> Under what circumstances does the interface is not shown in ifconfig
> output but in 'ifconfig -a' output.
>
> Also, i'm not seeing any packets forwarded to the created interface.
> i.e None of the Rx Packets and Tx Packets counters are getting
> incremented,

Maybe your interface is down. Try bringing it up by invoking:
ifconfig <your interface> up

@ 2012-11-07 21:47     ` A B
From: A B @ 2012-11-07 21:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Yes it did come up in 'ifconfig' with running that command 'ifconfig
<ifname> up'. But I'm still not seeing any packets forwarded to that
interface. Rx/Tx counters are not incrementing. How can i troubleshoot
this problem?.

@ 2012-11-08  5:17       ` Kumar amit mehta
From: Kumar amit mehta @ 2012-11-08  5:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Wed, Nov 07, 2012 at 04:47:26PM -0500, A B wrote:
> Yes it did come up in 'ifconfig' with running that command 'ifconfig
> <ifname> up'. But I'm still not seeing any packets forwarded to that
> interface. Rx/Tx counters are not incrementing. How can i troubleshoot
> this problem?.
>
> On Mon, Nov 5, 2012 at 11:36 PM, Kumar amit mehta <gmate.amit@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Mon, Nov 05, 2012 at 09:34:55PM -0500, A B wrote:
> >> I'm facing an issue where
> >> ifconfig command output doesn't display the interface that is created
> >> using alloc_netdev and registered using register_netdev.
> >>
> >> If i do 'ifconfig -a', i'm seeing the interface which i created.
> >>
> >> Under what circumstances does the interface is not shown in ifconfig
> >> output but in 'ifconfig -a' output.
> >>
> >> Also, i'm not seeing any packets forwarded to the created interface.
> >> i.e None of the Rx Packets and Tx Packets counters are getting
> >> incremented,
> >>
> > Maybe your interface is down. Try bringing it up by invoking:
> > ifconfig <your interface> up
> >> Can any one please let me know your suggestions / any documentation
> >> related to this problem area.

There can be multiple reason for this!!!, However the obvious things to look
first would be:
i) Proper IP addresses
ii) Source and destination MAC
iii) Routing table