* fedora plans to replace iptables with firewalld
@ 2012-11-15 19:30 Stephen Clark
From: Stephen Clark @ 2012-11-15 19:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello List,

Is anyone here aware that fedora is planning on replacing iptables with
something called firewalld?

"They that give up essential liberty to obtain temporary safety,
deserve neither liberty nor safety."  (Ben Franklin)

decreases."  (Thomas Jefferson)

* Re: fedora plans to replace iptables with firewalld
@ 2012-11-15 19:37 ` David Miller
From: David Miller @ 2012-11-15 19:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sclark46; +Cc: netfilter-devel

From: Stephen Clark <sclark46@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2012 14:30:21 -0500

> Is anyone here aware that fedora is planning on replacing iptables
> with something called firewalld?

It's an abstraction layer built on top of iptables and ebtables,
not a replacement.

A simple read of the project web site would have told you this,
and I encourage you to do some research in the future instead
of spreading misinformation.

Thanks.

* Re: fedora plans to replace iptables with firewalld
@ 2012-11-15 20:39   ` Stephen Clark
From: Stephen Clark @ 2012-11-15 20:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Miller; +Cc: netfilter-devel

On 11/15/2012 02:37 PM, David Miller wrote:
> From: Stephen Clark<sclark46@earthlink.net>
> Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2012 14:30:21 -0500
>
>> Is anyone here aware that fedora is planning on replacing iptables
>> with something called firewalld?
> It's an abstraction layer built on top of iptables and ebtables,
> not a replacement.
>
> A simple read of the project web site would have told you this,
> and I encourage you to do some research in the future instead
> of spreading misinformation.
>
> Thanks.

This is not what it says in the feature page at
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/firewalld-default#Detailed_Description

That says:

   The services iptables, iptables-ipv6 and ebtables will be replaced by
   firewalld. system-config-firewall in it's [sic] current form will also be
   replaced.

--

@ 2012-11-15 20:45     ` David Miller
From: David Miller @ 2012-11-15 20:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sclark46; +Cc: netfilter-devel

From: Stephen Clark <sclark46@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2012 15:39:38 -0500

> On 11/15/2012 02:37 PM, David Miller wrote:
>> From: Stephen Clark<sclark46@earthlink.net>
>> Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2012 14:30:21 -0500
>>
>>> Is anyone here aware that fedora is planning on replacing iptables
>>> with something called firewalld?
>> It's an abstraction layer built on top of iptables and ebtables,
>> not a replacement.
>>
>> A simple read of the project web site would have told you this,
>> and I encourage you to do some research in the future instead
>> of spreading misinformation.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
> This is not what it says in the feature page at
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/firewalld-default#Detailed_Description

The "service" as in the user level scripts, not the kernel level
components.

Read the project page, for real:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FirewallD

Where it explicitly says:

====================
Adding an abstraction layer on top of ip*tables and ebtables firewall
rules makes adding rules simple and more intuitive. The abstraction
layer needs to be powerful, but also simple, which makes this not an
easy task. A firewall language has to gen invented for this. Firewall
rules have a fixed position and querying generic information about
access state, access policies for ports and other firewall features is
possible.
====================

Please stop wasting everyone's time.

* Re: fedora plans to replace iptables with firewalld
@ 2013-03-02  0:16   ` Asshole kicker
From: Asshole kicker @ 2013-03-02  0:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: netfilter-devel

David Miller <davem <at> davemloft.net> writes:

> A simple read of the project web site would have told you this,
> and I encourage you to do some research in the future instead
> of spreading misinformation.

What an asshole!!! The guy just asked a friggin question. People like you make
me want to fart. In your mouth. LOL!!!