* [Buildroot] Question about patches
@ 2013-02-06  0:05 Przemyslaw Wrzos
From: Przemyslaw Wrzos @ 2013-02-06  0:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hey Guys,

Just a quick question about how the mailing list works. I submitted a
patch a week ago for netsnmp but it hasn't got any replies. Is it
appropriate to bump it with a follow up email until it gets noticed or
is it in the pipeline somewhere eventually to get looked at? Is it
better to start a discussion before submitting a patch instead?

Thanks for the insight,

Przemyslaw Wrzos

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* [Buildroot] Question about patches
@ 2013-02-06  8:40 ` Stephan Hoffmann
From: Stephan Hoffmann @ 2013-02-06  8:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Am 06.02.2013 01:05, schrieb Przemyslaw Wrzos:

> Hey Guys,
>

> Just a quick question about how the mailing list works. I submitted a
> patch a week ago for netsnmp but it hasn't got any replies. Is it
> appropriate to bump it with a follow up email until it gets noticed or
> is it in the pipeline somewhere eventually to get looked at? Is it
> better to start a discussion before submitting a patch instead?

Hi,

my experience is that it might take its time to get responses and often
enough the only response is Peter's commit message.

Right now there is a lot traffic on the list, so that I feinitely would
wait longer than one week, except there is a reason to want yout patch
in 2013.02.

Regards

Stephan

@ 2013-02-06 22:37 ` Yann E. MORIN
From: Yann E. MORIN @ 2013-02-06 22:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Przemyslaw, All,

On Wednesday 06 February 2013 Przemyslaw Wrzos wrote:
> Just a quick question about how the mailing list works. I submitted a
> patch a week ago for netsnmp but it hasn't got any replies. Is it
> appropriate to bump it with a follow up email until it gets noticed or
> is it in the pipeline somewhere eventually to get looked at? Is it
> better to start a discussion before submitting a patch instead?

The backlog is currently being handled.

Besides, last week-end was FOSDEM, and many europeans attended. FOSDEM
is a very busy conference, so attendees do not have much time looking
at there usual tasks... Peter, the current Buildroot maintainer, was
attending.

Also, we've had two busy days on Monday and Tuesdays discusing Buildroot
(the report is on its way), and we had a look at the current patch backlog.

I'd say, leave it some time for a patch to be applied. If it is a build or
a security fix, then reply about a week later with a message simply stating
"ping?" in the body (but keep your original message quoted). If it is a
new package, anew package option, or a package bump, then wait for about
two weeks before pinging.

Anyway, new features (apckages, options or version bumps) are too late
for 2013.02; -rc1 is due very soon. Just wait for the end of the month,
until the merge window opens again.

Regards,
Yann E. MORIN.

* [Buildroot] Question about patches
@ 2013-02-07  0:47   ` Przemyslaw Wrzos
From: Przemyslaw Wrzos @ 2013-02-07  0:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Great, thanks for the heads up. The patch was more of an enhancement so
there's no rush, just wanted to make sure it wouldn't get lost.

I had a quick look around the website but couldn't find a release
schedule, merge windows, etc. If there's nothing like that right now it
would probably be useful to help keep a track of what's going on  for
end developers who are not as closely involved with the project.

Cheers,
Przemyslaw Wrzos

.-----------------.--------------------.------------------.-------------
-------.
> |  Yann E. MORIN  | Real-Time Embedded | /"\ ASCII RIBBON | Erics'
> | conspiracy: |
> | +33 662 376 056 | Software  Designer | \ / CAMPAIGN     |  ___
> |
> | +33 223 225 172 `------------.-------:  X  AGAINST      |  \e/
There is no  |
> | http://ymorin.is-a-geek.org/ | _/*\_ | / \ HTML MAIL    |   v
> conspiracy.  |

'------------------------------^-------^------------------^-------------
-------'

* [Buildroot] Question about patches
@ 2013-02-07  8:08     ` Daniel Nyström
From: Daniel Nyström @ 2013-02-07  8:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

On Thu, Feb 7, 2013 at 1:47 AM, Przemyslaw Wrzos <
przemyslaw.wrzos@calyptech.com> wrote:

> Great, thanks for the heads up. The patch was more of an enhancement so
> there's no rush, just wanted to make sure it wouldn't get lost.

Another way to make sure your mail reach the mailinglist is to take a look
at it's archive:
http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lib.uclibc.buildroot

Finally, please avoid top posting. :)
http://www.idallen.com/topposting.html

Best regards
Daniel

@ 2013-02-07  8:31     ` Thomas Petazzoni
From: Thomas Petazzoni @ 2013-02-07  8:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Dear Przemyslaw Wrzos,

On Thu, 7 Feb 2013 11:47:35 +1100, Przemyslaw Wrzos wrote:
> Great, thanks for the heads up. The patch was more of an enhancement
> so there's no rush, just wanted to make sure it wouldn't get lost.

Nowadays, patches normally don't get lost: whenever a patch is sent to
the list, it is recorded by our "patchwork" and becomes listed at
http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/project/buildroot/list/. Then, it takes
some human action to either apply the patch, or remove it from this
list, or something. But at least all patches sent to the list are
recorded.

However, as you can see, the number of patches to be applied/considered
is quite large, so if your patch hasn't had much attention, it is not
bad after a week or two (as suggested by Arnout) to ask what is
happening.

> I had a quick look around the website but couldn't find a release
> schedule, merge windows, etc. If there's nothing like that right now
> it would probably be useful to help keep a track of what's going on
> for end developers who are not as closely involved with the project.

Hum, indeed. Will try to cook a patch for the manual about this.

Thanks,

Thomas
--
Thomas Petazzoni, Free Electrons