* [LTP] Running LTP on embedded Busybox platforms
@ 2013-02-12 11:31 Bogdan Purcareata
From: Bogdan Purcareata @ 2013-02-12 11:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ltp-list

Hello,

I'm a new user of the LTP and I was wondering if it works on embedded
platforms with custom Linux distros built with Yocto. I was interested
in the "containers" set of tests, particularly the network namespace
ones. I noticed the tests were not working properly on a Busybox
system, and I've identified some differences between this and running
LTP on my host Fedora 17 system (which works fine):
- Busybox's diff outputs in the unified format by default - this
causes parsing issues in LTP
- there is no sshd server on my embedded platform - instead I have
dropbear installed, and the scripts need minor changes to work
- the networking utils - ping, ip, etc. - are from the inetutils
package, instead if the expected iputils package

I was wondering if these requirements - diff, sshd, iputils package,
and others - are somewhere listed as prerequisites in the
documentation (I haven't searched it extensively). Where should I look
for a complete list of host userspace applications needed by LTP to
work?

Also, are there any branches of the LTP project designed to work with
e.g. Busybox by default? I noticed that the ltp-full-20130109.bz2
arhive is universal and has no mentions of supported host distro
configuration (or perhaps I didn't look in the right place?).

Thank you very much,
Bogdan P.

* [LTP] Running LTP on embedded Busybox platforms
@ 2013-02-12 12:49 ` Bogdan Purcareata
From: Bogdan Purcareata @ 2013-02-12 12:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ltp-list

[...]

* Re: [LTP] Running LTP on embedded Busybox platforms
@ 2013-02-12 13:06   ` chrubis
From: chrubis @ 2013-02-12 13:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bogdan Purcareata; +Cc: ltp-list

Hi!
> I'm a new user of the LTP and I was wondering if it works on embedded
> platforms with custom Linux distros built with Yocto. I was interested
> in the "containers" set of tests, particularly the network namespace
> ones.

Most of the tests should work on embedded platforms and with Busybox but
I personaly can't guarante that. In other words We are trying not to
break things for anybody, but some tests may not worked from the start.

> I noticed the tests were not working properly on a Busybox
> system, and I've identified some differences between this and running
> LTP on my host Fedora 17 system (which works fine):
> - Busybox's diff outputs in the unified format by default - this
> causes parsing issues in LTP
> - there is no sshd server on my embedded platform - instead I have
> dropbear installed, and the scripts need minor changes to work
> - the networking utils - ping, ip, etc. - are from the inetutils
> package, instead if the expected iputils package

As usual patches are welcome.

> I was wondering if these requirements - diff, sshd, iputils package,
> and others - are somewhere listed as prerequisites in the
> documentation (I haven't searched it extensively). Where should I look
> for a complete list of host userspace applications needed by LTP to
> work?

Sorry the LTP documentation is not in a good shape. On the other hand I
would be happy to include what you have found into the containers README
file. Just send a signed patch.

> Also, are there any branches of the LTP project designed to work with
> e.g. Busybox by default? I noticed that the ltp-full-20130109.bz2
> arhive is universal and has no mentions of supported host distro
> configuration (or perhaps I didn't look in the right place?).

There are not. We have one archive to run on all flavors of Linux,
fragmentation would only make things worse.

--
Cyril Hrubis
chrubis@suse.cz