* Retrieve amount of queued frames in the txqueue of a interface
@ 2013-02-06 11:59 Felix Obenhuber
From: Felix Obenhuber @ 2013-02-06 11:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-can

Hi,

how can I retrive the number of frames currently queued for
transmission on a SocketCAN interface? Is this possible via netlink?

Maybe someone has the answer by hand...

Thanks!

Felix

* Re: Retrieve amount of queued frames in the txqueue of a interface
@ 2013-02-07 10:42 ` Marc Kleine-Budde
From: Marc Kleine-Budde @ 2013-02-07 10:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Felix Obenhuber; +Cc: linux-can

On 02/06/2013 12:59 PM, Felix Obenhuber wrote:
> Hi,
>
> how can I retrive the number of frames currently queued for
> transmission on a SocketCAN interface? Is this possible via netlink?
>
> Maybe someone has the answer by hand...

Sorry, I don't know. What's you usecase?

Marc
--
Pengutronix e.K.                  | Marc Kleine-Budde           |
Industrial Linux Solutions        | Phone: +49-231-2826-924     |

* Re: Retrieve amount of queued frames in the txqueue of a interface
@ 2013-02-07 16:18   ` Felix Obenhuber
From: Felix Obenhuber @ 2013-02-07 16:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marc Kleine-Budde; +Cc: linux-can

Hi Marc,

On Thu, Feb 7, 2013 at 11:42 AM, Marc Kleine-Budde <mkl@pengutronix.de> wrote:
> On 02/06/2013 12:59 PM, Felix Obenhuber wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> how can I retrive the number of frames currently queued for
>> transmission on a SocketCAN interface? Is this possible via netlink?
>
> Sorry, I don't know. What's you usecase?

We're working with ISOBUS systems (ISO11783). During a transport
protocol session (similiar to iso tp) we'd like to know how many
frames can get queued at once to adjust timings. There are multiple
software modules that might send frames at the same time over  a
single module/socket.

Maybe we have to add a tx fifo within the software...

cheers,

@ 2013-02-07 17:43     ` Oliver Hartkopp
From: Oliver Hartkopp @ 2013-02-07 17:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Felix Obenhuber; +Cc: Marc Kleine-Budde, linux-can

On 07.02.2013 17:18, Felix Obenhuber wrote:

> Hi Marc,
>
> On Thu, Feb 7, 2013 at 11:42 AM, Marc Kleine-Budde <mkl@pengutronix.de> wrote:
>> On 02/06/2013 12:59 PM, Felix Obenhuber wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> how can I retrive the number of frames currently queued for
>>> transmission on a SocketCAN interface? Is this possible via netlink?
>>
>> Sorry, I don't know. What's you usecase?
>
> We're working with ISOBUS systems (ISO11783). During a transport
> protocol session (similiar to iso tp) we'd like to know how many
> frames can get queued at once to adjust timings. There are multiple
> software modules that might send frames at the same time over  a
> single module/socket.
>
> Maybe we have to add a tx fifo within the software...

Probably the Linux queueing disciplines for CAN are interesting for you:

http://rtime.felk.cvut.cz/can/socketcan-qdisc-final.pdf

The funtionality is part of the Linux Kernel since 3.6.

Regards,
Oliver

* isobus with transport protocol
@ 2013-02-13  8:59     ` Kurt Van Dijck
From: Kurt Van Dijck @ 2013-02-13  8:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Felix Obenhuber; +Cc: Marc Kleine-Budde, linux-can

Felix,

> We're working with ISOBUS systems (ISO11783). During a transport
> protocol session

As you know, I've put a j1939 (and ISOBUS) stack on
https://gitorious.org/linux-can/linux-can-j1939

> There are multiple
> software modules that might send frames at the same time over  a
> single module/socket.

It does allow for multiple software modules to cooperate
both on the same & on different logical ECU's (Source addresses),
and provides a transport protocol without IPC overhead or race conditions.

Can you explain what it is missing for your needs?
I may be able to help you to get things running.

Kind regards,
Kurt

On Thu, Feb 07, 2013 at 05:18:33PM +0100, Felix Obenhuber wrote:
> Hi Marc,
>
> On Thu, Feb 7, 2013 at 11:42 AM, Marc Kleine-Budde <mkl@pengutronix.de> wrote:
> > On 02/06/2013 12:59 PM, Felix Obenhuber wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> how can I retrive the number of frames currently queued for
> >> transmission on a SocketCAN interface? Is this possible via netlink?
> >
> > Sorry, I don't know. What's you usecase?
>
> We're working with ISOBUS systems (ISO11783). During a transport
> protocol session (similiar to iso tp) we'd like to know how many
> frames can get queued at once to adjust timings. There are multiple
> software modules that might send frames at the same time over  a
> single module/socket.
>
> Maybe we have to add a tx fifo within the software...
>
> cheers,
>
> Felix

* Re: isobus with transport protocol
@ 2013-02-14  8:53       ` Felix Obenhuber
From: Felix Obenhuber @ 2013-02-14  8:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kurt.van.dijck, linux-can

Hi Kurt,

On Wed, Feb 13, 2013 at 9:59 AM, Kurt Van Dijck <kurt.van.dijck@eia.be> wrote:
>> We're working with ISOBUS systems (ISO11783). During a transport
>> protocol session
>
> As you know, I've put a j1939 (and ISOBUS) stack on
> https://gitorious.org/linux-can/linux-can-j1939

Yep. Great work.

>> There are multiple
>> software modules that might send frames at the same time over  a
>> single module/socket.
> It does allow for multiple software modules to cooperate
> both on the same & on different logical ECU's (Source addresses),
> and provides a transport protocol without IPC overhead or race conditions.
>
> Can you explain what it is missing for your needs?
> I may be able to help you to get things running.

We're developing a ISOBUS stack (isoaglib.org) that runs on various
platforms. SocketCAN support has been added some time ago. With a
redesign of the HAL we got a new requirement for the CAN driver/api to
deliver the amount of frames that can be queued for transmission.
Without that information we just assume, that the hardware is able to
transmit at least about 3 frames per ms. Cause of the transport
procotol definition we don't get a problem to overflow the tx queue
cause the interation with the tp counterpart slows down the
communication by nature (RTS/CTS...). Having the exact amount of
frames available that can get queued at a certain time is just a
optimization for the internal timings of the protocol stack. It's
running fine without - I just liked to add that in order to speed
things up a little bit.

Yes - we thought about using your J1939 stack for the lower layers of
IsoAgLib. The network and network managent (part 3 and 5) are somehow
boring (as you know ;-). With the current main focus on non Linux ECUs
this is not an option in order to avoid to maintain different ports.
The advantages of IsoAgLib are the high level user APIs for part
6,7,9,10 and12. I'm pretty sure you already got a look at...

cheers,

Felix