* Universal tap device
@ 2013-02-16 14:01 Jiri Pirko
From: Jiri Pirko @ 2013-02-16 14:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: netdev; +Cc: arnd, ebiederm, stephen, eric.dumazet, davem

Hi all.

Looking at macvtap and thinking about the tap solutions in general, I
think it would be handly to have some universal tap device.

This could use rx_handler to hook onto any netdev and provide chardev
tap-like iface to it. Using that, one can just hook onto macvlan device
and macvtap would not be needed.

This would allow other scenarios like vxlan-tap, vlan-tap, bond-tap or
whatever.

Does this idea seem to be reasonable?

Thanks

Jiri

* Re: Universal tap device
@ 2013-02-16 16:46 ` Jan Engelhardt
From: Jan Engelhardt @ 2013-02-16 16:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jiri Pirko; +Cc: netdev, arnd, ebiederm, stephen, eric.dumazet, davem

On Saturday 2013-02-16 15:01, Jiri Pirko wrote:

>Hi all.
>
>Looking at macvtap and thinking about the tap solutions in general,
>I think it would be handly to have some universal tap device.

As in, allowing tuntap to register as an rx_handler for arbitrary
devices?

* Re: Universal tap device
@ 2013-02-16 16:54   ` Jiri Pirko
From: Jiri Pirko @ 2013-02-16 16:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Engelhardt; +Cc: netdev, arnd, ebiederm, stephen, eric.dumazet, davem

Sat, Feb 16, 2013 at 05:46:25PM CET, jengelh@inai.de wrote:
>On Saturday 2013-02-16 15:01, Jiri Pirko wrote:
>
>>Hi all.
>>
>>Looking at macvtap and thinking about the tap solutions in general,
>>I think it would be handly to have some universal tap device.
>
>As in, allowing tuntap to register as an rx_handler for arbitrary
>devices?

Essentially yes, but I was thinking without the actual netdev:
not eth0 -> tap0 -> chardev
but eth0 -> chardev

Not sure though if that is easily doable..

* Re: Universal tap device
@ 2013-02-16 22:25     ` Arnd Bergmann
From: Arnd Bergmann @ 2013-02-16 22:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jiri Pirko; +Cc: Jan Engelhardt, netdev, ebiederm, stephen, eric.dumazet, davem

On Saturday 16 February 2013, Jiri Pirko wrote:
> Sat, Feb 16, 2013 at 05:46:25PM CET, jengelh@inai.de wrote:
> >On Saturday 2013-02-16 15:01, Jiri Pirko wrote:
> >
> >>Hi all.
> >>
> >>Looking at macvtap and thinking about the tap solutions in general,
> >>I think it would be handly to have some universal tap device.
> >
> >As in, allowing tuntap to register as an rx_handler for arbitrary
> >devices?
>
> Essentially yes, but I was thinking without the actual netdev:
> not eth0 -> tap0 -> chardev
> but eth0 -> chardev
>
> Not sure though if that is easily doable..

Isn't that the same as setting up macvtap in PASSTHRU mode?

	Arnd

* Re: Universal tap device
@ 2013-02-17  9:35       ` Jiri Pirko
From: Jiri Pirko @ 2013-02-17  9:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arnd Bergmann
  Cc: Jan Engelhardt, netdev, ebiederm, stephen, eric.dumazet, davem

Sat, Feb 16, 2013 at 11:25:06PM CET, arnd@arndb.de wrote:
>On Saturday 16 February 2013, Jiri Pirko wrote:

>> >As in, allowing tuntap to register as an rx_handler for arbitrary
>> >devices?
>>
>> Essentially yes, but I was thinking without the actual netdev:
>> not eth0 -> tap0 -> chardev
>> but eth0 -> chardev
>>
>> Not sure though if that is easily doable..
>
>Isn't that the same as setting up macvtap in PASSTHRU mode?

Yep, but without netdev instance. That brings some issues. Maybe the
netdev instance should be there. Not sure.

>	Arnd

* Re: Universal tap device
@ 2013-02-17 13:58         ` Arnd Bergmann
From: Arnd Bergmann @ 2013-02-17 13:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jiri Pirko; +Cc: Jan Engelhardt, netdev, ebiederm, stephen, eric.dumazet, davem

On Sunday 17 February 2013, Jiri Pirko wrote:

> Sat, Feb 16, 2013 at 11:25:06PM CET, arnd@arndb.de wrote:

> >> Essentially yes, but I was thinking without the actual netdev:
> >> not eth0 -> tap0 -> chardev
> >> but eth0 -> chardev
> >>
> >> Not sure though if that is easily doable..
> >
> >Isn't that the same as setting up macvtap in PASSTHRU mode?
>
> Yep, but without netdev instance. That brings some issues. Maybe the
> netdev instance should be there. Not sure.

The idea of macvtap is at least that there should be no run-time
from using a separate netdev. Having the device is useful mostly
for configuration, especially with the non-passthrough modes
where you want to bind to a new mac address.

	Arnd

* Re: Universal tap device
@ 2013-02-19 10:59 ` Jamal Hadi Salim
From: Jamal Hadi Salim @ 2013-02-19 10:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jiri Pirko; +Cc: netdev, arnd, ebiederm, stephen, eric.dumazet, davem

I dont know what macvtap is, but what dont you like about redirecting or
mirroring packets to tap? Or packet socket?
I think tap has become a christmas tree lately compared to its humble
beginnings, and its performance is questionable - but it should still
work for what you need.

cheers,
jamal