* Listening for notifications/indications
@ 2013-03-28 16:47 yousif saeed
From: yousif saeed @ 2013-03-28 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-bluetooth

Dear All
I'm trying to communicate with a BLE module through a Linux machine (the module is running a heart rate profile). So far, I've been able to do everything I need except listening for Notifications and indications. I've searched through the web, forums, and even tried walking through the source code and still could not find the answer.

I'm using kernel version 3.5 and bluez-5.3.

Any help is greatly appreciated as this is part of my final year project.

Thanks
Youssif

P.S.

Succcessful commands used so far:
hcitool lescan
hcitool lecc
gatttool -b <Mac Address> --primary
gatttool -b <MAC Address> --characteristics
gatttool -b <MAC Address> --char-read
gatttool -b <MAC Address> --char-des
gatttool -b <MAC Address> --interactive

Failed commands:
gatttool -b <MAC Address> --listen

* Re: Listening for notifications/indications
@ 2013-04-02  9:21 ` Johan Hedberg
From: Johan Hedberg @ 2013-04-02  9:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yousif saeed; +Cc: linux-bluetooth

Hi Youssif,

On Thu, Mar 28, 2013, yousif saeed wrote:
> I'm trying to communicate with a BLE module through a Linux machine
> (the module is running a heart rate profile). So far, I've been able
> to do everything I need except listening for Notifications and
> indications. I've searched through the web, forums, and even tried
> walking through the source code and still could not find the answer.
>
> I'm using kernel version 3.5 and bluez-5.3.
>
> Any help is greatly appreciated as this is part of my final year project.
>
> Thanks
> Youssif
>
> Succcessful commands used so far:
> hcitool lescan
> hcitool lecc
> gatttool -b <Mac Address> --primary
> gatttool -b <MAC Address> --characteristics
> gatttool -b <MAC Address> --char-read
> gatttool -b <MAC Address> --char-des
> gatttool -b <MAC Address> --interactive
>
> Failed commands:
> gatttool -b <MAC Address> --listen

You shouldn't need to use hcitool nor gatttool for the heartrate
profile. Instead, it should be enough to register a Heartrate Watcher
through the HeartrateManager D-Bus interface (see doc/heartrate-api.txt).
There's also a python script that will do all this for you in
test/test-heartrate. I've been able to use the script successfully with
my own LE heartrate device.

Johan