* [ANNOUNCE] Fine grained branches
@ 2013-04-04  7:07 Simon Horman
From: Simon Horman @ 2013-04-04  7:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-sh

Hi,

in an effort to streamline management of the renesas tree
I am trying the use of more fine-grained branches.

For the past few release there have been the following branches:

* defconfig
* boards
* soc
* pinmux

Some sundry branches for drivers. And merge branches that
bring things together. Currently next is the only merge
branch I am maintaining.

Going forwards I plan to make per-board defconfig and boards branches
and per-soc pinmux and soc branches.

So instead of applying an sh73a0 patch to soc, I will apply
it to soc-sh73a0.

I will, as before, merge all relevant branches into next.

I have also recently starting taging next branches, to provide a
reference point for developers. Unlike next, which changes every time
I do a merge of new changes, tags don't change (unless I make a mistake!).
The current tag is renesas-next-20130303. I plan to make
renesas-next-20130304 shortly. Please consider basing your work
on the latest renesas-next tag. And please consider quoting the
tag name your work is based on when posting it.

Thanks

* Re: [ANNOUNCE] Fine grained branches
@ 2013-04-04 11:18 ` Laurent Pinchart
From: Laurent Pinchart @ 2013-04-04 11:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-sh

Hi Simon,

On Thursday 04 April 2013 16:07:00 Simon Horman wrote:
> Hi,
>
> in an effort to streamline management of the renesas tree I am trying the
> use of more fine-grained branches.
>
> For the past few release there have been the following branches:
>
> * defconfig
> * boards
> * soc
> * pinmux
>
> Some sundry branches for drivers. And merge branches that bring things
> together. Currently next is the only merge branch I am maintaining.
>
> Going forwards I plan to make per-board defconfig and boards branches and
> per-soc pinmux and soc branches.

I wonder whether it might not be too soon for per-SoC pinmux branches. I will
still need to perform cross-SoC changes to the PFC driver for v3.11 to
implement DT support. Splitting the patches in per-SoC pinmux branches
wouldn't be practical, as there would likely be many cross-dependencies. The
situation should hopefully stabilize after v3.11.

> So instead of applying an sh73a0 patch to soc, I will apply it to soc-
> sh73a0.
>
> I will, as before, merge all relevant branches into next.
>
> I have also recently starting taging next branches, to provide a reference
> point for developers. Unlike next, which changes every time I do a merge of
> new changes, tags don't change (unless I make a mistake!). The current tag
> is renesas-next-20130303. I plan to make renesas-next-20130304 shortly.
> Please consider basing your work on the latest renesas-next tag. And please
> consider quoting the tag name your work is based on when posting it.

Laurent Pinchart

* Re: [ANNOUNCE] Fine grained branches
@ 2013-04-05  0:26 ` Simon Horman
From: Simon Horman @ 2013-04-05  0:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-sh

On Thu, Apr 04, 2013 at 01:18:08PM +0200, Laurent Pinchart wrote:
> Hi Simon,
>
> On Thursday 04 April 2013 16:07:00 Simon Horman wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > in an effort to streamline management of the renesas tree I am trying the
> > use of more fine-grained branches.
> >
> > For the past few release there have been the following branches:
> >
> > * defconfig
> > * boards
> > * soc
> > * pinmux
> >
> > Some sundry branches for drivers. And merge branches that bring things
> > together. Currently next is the only merge branch I am maintaining.
> >
> > Going forwards I plan to make per-board defconfig and boards branches and
> > per-soc pinmux and soc branches.
>
> I wonder whether it might not be too soon for per-SoC pinmux branches. I will
> still need to perform cross-SoC changes to the PFC driver for v3.11 to
> implement DT support. Splitting the patches in per-SoC pinmux branches
> wouldn't be practical, as there would likely be many cross-dependencies. The
> situation should hopefully stabilize after v3.11.

Understood, lets keep pinmux in a single branch and see how things go.