* [Qemu-devel] "Designing QMP APIs" at KVM Forum
@ 2013-05-23 11:51 Stefan Hajnoczi
From: Stefan Hajnoczi @ 2013-05-23 11:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: qemu-devel; +Cc: Michael Roth, Luiz Capitulino

With better QMP introspection on the horizon and work in various
subsystems pushing QMP boundaries it would be useful to bring together
the latest best practices for designing QMP APIs.

There are design rules for keeping QMP APIs extensible and for
allowing clients to detect the presence of features.  There is also
QEMU-side infrastructure like event rate-limiting, which developers
should make use of where appropriate.

Is anyone willing to bring together the best practices and present
them at KVM Forum this year?

I think that could help set the standard for QMP APIs.  A set of
slides or wiki page can be a reference to developers that stops us
working from first pricinples every time a new API is added.

Stefan

* Re: [Qemu-devel] "Designing QMP APIs" at KVM Forum
@ 2013-05-23 12:46 ` Luiz Capitulino
From: Luiz Capitulino @ 2013-05-23 12:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Hajnoczi; +Cc: qemu-devel, Michael Roth

On Thu, 23 May 2013 13:51:22 +0200
Stefan Hajnoczi <stefanha@gmail.com> wrote:

> With better QMP introspection on the horizon and work in various
> subsystems pushing QMP boundaries it would be useful to bring together
> the latest best practices for designing QMP APIs.
>
> There are design rules for keeping QMP APIs extensible and for
> allowing clients to detect the presence of features.  There is also
> QEMU-side infrastructure like event rate-limiting, which developers
> should make use of where appropriate.
>
> Is anyone willing to bring together the best practices and present
> them at KVM Forum this year?

I think this is a great idea and I vote for Eric to prepare a presentation.
Eric is doing an exceptional work on QMP command review, he is also
experienced on the client side.

> I think that could help set the standard for QMP APIs.  A set of
> slides or wiki page can be a reference to developers that stops us
> working from first pricinples every time a new API is added.

I was working on a doc to be added to docs/. It wouldn't be anything
fancy, but I ended up not finishing it.

* Re: [Qemu-devel] "Designing QMP APIs" at KVM Forum
@ 2013-05-23 13:59   ` Eric Blake
From: Eric Blake @ 2013-05-23 13:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luiz Capitulino; +Cc: Stefan Hajnoczi, qemu-devel, Michael Roth

On 05/23/2013 06:46 AM, Luiz Capitulino wrote:
> On Thu, 23 May 2013 13:51:22 +0200
> Stefan Hajnoczi <stefanha@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> With better QMP introspection on the horizon and work in various
>> subsystems pushing QMP boundaries it would be useful to bring together
>> the latest best practices for designing QMP APIs.
>>
>> There are design rules for keeping QMP APIs extensible and for
>> allowing clients to detect the presence of features.  There is also
>> QEMU-side infrastructure like event rate-limiting, which developers
>> should make use of where appropriate.
>>
>> Is anyone willing to bring together the best practices and present
>> them at KVM Forum this year?
>
> I think this is a great idea and I vote for Eric to prepare a presentation.
> Eric is doing an exceptional work on QMP command review, he is also
> experienced on the client side.

Indeed, it looks like I have a good topic for presentation.  Yes, I'll
take on that task for the KVM forum.

>> I think that could help set the standard for QMP APIs.  A set of
>> slides or wiki page can be a reference to developers that stops us
>> working from first pricinples every time a new API is added.
>
> I was working on a doc to be added to docs/. It wouldn't be anything
> fancy, but I ended up not finishing it.

Even if you post the draft, that might help spur some ideas.

* Re: [Qemu-devel] "Designing QMP APIs" at KVM Forum
@ 2013-05-24  9:49     ` Stefan Hajnoczi
From: Stefan Hajnoczi @ 2013-05-24  9:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Blake; +Cc: Michael Roth, qemu-devel, Luiz Capitulino

On Thu, May 23, 2013 at 07:59:17AM -0600, Eric Blake wrote:
> On 05/23/2013 06:46 AM, Luiz Capitulino wrote:
> > On Thu, 23 May 2013 13:51:22 +0200
> > Stefan Hajnoczi <stefanha@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> With better QMP introspection on the horizon and work in various
> >> subsystems pushing QMP boundaries it would be useful to bring together
> >> the latest best practices for designing QMP APIs.
> >>
> >> There are design rules for keeping QMP APIs extensible and for
> >> allowing clients to detect the presence of features.  There is also
> >> QEMU-side infrastructure like event rate-limiting, which developers
> >> should make use of where appropriate.
> >>
> >> Is anyone willing to bring together the best practices and present
> >> them at KVM Forum this year?
> >
> > I think this is a great idea and I vote for Eric to prepare a presentation.
> > Eric is doing an exceptional work on QMP command review, he is also
> > experienced on the client side.
>
> Indeed, it looks like I have a good topic for presentation.  Yes, I'll
> take on that task for the KVM forum.

Great, looking forward to your presentation.

Stefan