* iptables-restore
@ 2013-06-28 20:57 richard lucassen
From: richard lucassen @ 2013-06-28 20:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: netfilter

I'm just mucking about with iptables-restore. I noticed some very nice
behaviour which AFAIK is undocumented and I'd like to know if this
behaviour can be used in a production environment. I set up some rules
using a shell script, without using "iptables-restore". This works
fine.

Now, without restarting the script, I will insert a new user
defined chain called CH_INP_TEST using "iptables-restore". Mind that I
do NOT re-invoke the original script:

# cat CH_INP_TEST.txt
*filter
:CH_INP_TEST - [0:0]
-A CH_INP_TEST -s 10.0.0.0/8 -j ACCEPT
-A CH_INP_TEST -s 172.16.0.0/12 -j ACCEPT
-A CH_INP_TEST -j RETURN
COMMIT

Ok, lets go:

# iptables-restore --noflush < CH_INP_TEST.txt

Check:

# iptables-save | grep CH_INP_TEST
:CH_INP_TEST - [0:0]
-A CH_INP_TEST -s 10.0.0.0/8 -j ACCEPT
-A CH_INP_TEST -s 172.16.0.0/12 -j ACCEPT
-A CH_INP_TEST -j RETURN

A thing that is undocumented but very useful AFAIK is this: I can alter
the entries of this particular user defined chain, simply by invoking
the iptables-restore again (I changed the /12 into /16):

iptables-save | grep CH_INP_TEST
:CH_INP_TEST - [0:0]
-A CH_INP_TEST -s 10.0.0.0/8 -j ACCEPT
-A CH_INP_TEST -s 172.16.0.0/16 -j ACCEPT
-A CH_INP_TEST -j RETURN

Apparently the "iptables-restore --noflush" flushes the user defined
chain "CH_INP_TEST" and replaces the old entries.

This is all very useful of course, but is it documented somewhere or am
I hitting a bug?

R.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak
aloud and remove all doubt.

| Richard Lucassen, Utrecht                                        |

only message in thread, other threads:[~2013-06-28 20:57 UTC | newest]