* Using OpenEmbedded for customized builds
@ 2013-07-04  5:34 Holger Hans Peter Freyther
From: Holger Hans Peter Freyther @ 2013-07-04  5:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-core

Good Morning,

we have a basic product and build the images for it using
OpenEmbedded. Some customers require the installation of
additional packages, or even the modification of some of
the installed ones. The current approach would be to build
one VM per customer but that doesn't really scale.

I think somehow I want to end up with having my base/generic
buuld and a way to put additional ipk's into a customer
directory. So something likes this:

  base-build/tmp/deploy/ipk/
                            armv5te/
                            machine/
                            customer1/
                                      armv5te/
                            customer2/
                                      armv5te/
                            customer3/

or

  base-build/tmp/...

  customer1-build/tmp/deploy/ipk/...

In both cases the customer should only include the packages
that were built for the customer. All the 'base' packages should
be taken/used from the base built. I could indicate for which
customer I build by setting an environment variable?

For a corner case, e.g. if I change the SRCREV and re-build with
a customer flag set, this package should still go to the customer
directory.

Can this be already modeled? Do you have any idea how this could
be done?

holger

* Re: Using OpenEmbedded for customized builds
@ 2013-07-04  8:06 ` Marcin Juszkiewicz
From: Marcin Juszkiewicz @ 2013-07-04  8:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-core

W dniu 04.07.2013 07:34, Holger Hans Peter Freyther pisze:

> Can this be already modeled? Do you have any idea how this could
> be done?

My idea is simple.

Keep each customer changes in separate layers and have separate builds
for base and each customer. Let then customer builds use base
sstate-cache in read-only mode (file:// mirror). This way you do all
base building in "base" dir/vm and customer ones in separate ones.

None of customer builds affect others and each of them uses sstate from
common "base" one.

* Re: Using OpenEmbedded for customized builds
@ 2013-07-04 13:19 ` Otavio Salvador
From: Otavio Salvador @ 2013-07-04 13:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Holger Hans Peter Freyther
  Cc: Patches and discussions about the oe-core layer

On Thu, Jul 4, 2013 at 2:34 AM, Holger Hans Peter Freyther
<holger@moiji-mobile.com> wrote:
> Good Morning,
>
> we have a basic product and build the images for it using
> OpenEmbedded. Some customers require the installation of
> additional packages, or even the modification of some of
> the installed ones. The current approach would be to build
> one VM per customer but that doesn't really scale.
>
> I think somehow I want to end up with having my base/generic
> buuld and a way to put additional ipk's into a customer
> directory. So something likes this:
>
>   base-build/tmp/deploy/ipk/
>                             armv5te/
>                             machine/
>                             customer1/
>                                       armv5te/
>                             customer2/
>                                       armv5te/
>                             customer3/
>
> or
>
>   base-build/tmp/...
>
>   customer1-build/tmp/deploy/ipk/...
>
> In both cases the customer should only include the packages
> that were built for the customer. All the 'base' packages should
> be taken/used from the base built. I could indicate for which
> customer I build by setting an environment variable?
>
> For a corner case, e.g. if I change the SRCREV and re-build with
> a customer flag set, this package should still go to the customer
> directory.
>
> Can this be already modeled? Do you have any idea how this could
> be done?

Currently I did this using MACHINEOVERRIDE and I made a machine which
is reused for each customer. So I have a single kernel and machine
setup but customer aliases which I can use to control the system in
the image and like.

http://www.ossystems.com.br        http://projetos.ossystems.com.br