* Rebased for_next branch in my linux-fs git tree
@ 2013-07-04 17:43 Jan Kara
From: Jan Kara @ 2013-07-04 17:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Rothwell; +Cc: LKML

  Hello Stephen,

  I'm just writing this to let you know that I had to rebase for_next
branch in my linux-fs git tree because I've messed up my tree and for_linus
& for_next branches contained the same patches but with different commit
IDs (fast track fixes). When I pulled for_next into for_linus branch,
the changelog had commit logs for those patches twice which was rather
confusing. The only solution I found was to rebase for_next on top of
for_linus to get rid of the duplicate patches. If there's a cleaner
solution of the situation, I'm happy to learn it for future...

This is just that you know what's going on when you are doing your merge
window statistics :).

								Honza
--
Jan Kara <jack@suse.cz>
SUSE Labs, CR

* Re: Rebased for_next branch in my linux-fs git tree
@ 2013-07-05  0:04 ` Stephen Rothwell
From: Stephen Rothwell @ 2013-07-05  0:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Kara; +Cc: LKML

Hi Jan,

On Thu, 4 Jul 2013 19:43:04 +0200 Jan Kara <jack@suse.cz> wrote:

>   I'm just writing this to let you know that I had to rebase for_next
                                                 ^^^
wrong choice of work, you "chose" to rebase.  :-)

> branch in my linux-fs git tree because I've messed up my tree and for_linus
> & for_next branches contained the same patches but with different commit
> IDs (fast track fixes). When I pulled for_next into for_linus branch,
> the changelog had commit logs for those patches twice which was rather
> confusing. The only solution I found was to rebase for_next on top of
> for_linus to get rid of the duplicate patches. If there's a cleaner
> solution of the situation, I'm happy to learn it for future...

Just leave it.  Linus and I know how to cope with those (maybe explain to
Linus what happened).  In the future, if you put fixes in your for_linus
branch and *need* those fixes in your for_next branch, then merge your
for_linus branch into your for_next branch instead of cherry-picking the
patches.

--
Cheers,
Stephen Rothwell                    sfr@canb.auug.org.au

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 836 bytes --]

* Re: Rebased for_next branch in my linux-fs git tree
@ 2013-07-05  2:57   ` Stephen Rothwell
From: Stephen Rothwell @ 2013-07-05  2:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Kara; +Cc: LKML