* XFS formatted partition is shown as 2TB but should be 3TB
@ 2013-07-14  7:57 c.monty
From: c.monty @ 2013-07-14  7:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-xfs

Hi!

On my new HDD WD30EZRX I created a GPT partition table and formatted it with
XFS.
Then I put some data (approx. 2.4TB) on that new partition.

However, after restarting the system the disk is identified of size 2TB
only.
/knoppix@Microknoppix:~$ sudo fdisk -l
Disk /dev/sda: 2000.4 GB, 2000421444608 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 243204 cylinders, total 3907073134 sectors
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 4096 bytes / 4096 bytes/

Checking the HDD with tool gdisk, I get this output for option "i" (show
detailed information [...]):
/Command (? for help): i
Using 1
Partition GUID code: 0FC63DAF-8483-4772-8E79-3D69D8477DE4 (Linux filesystem)
Partition unique GUID: 37786D32-C98F-4624-9440-94F79BE79793
First sector: 2048 (at 1024.0 KiB)
Last sector: 5860533134 (at 2.7 TiB)
Partition size: 5860531087 sectors (2.7 TiB)
Attribute flags: 0000000000000000
Partition name: 'Linux filesystem'/

Using option "v" (verify disk) I get this output:
/Expert command (? for help): v

Caution: The CRC for the backup partition table is invalid. This table may
be corrupt. This program will automatically create a new backup partition
table when you save your partitions.

Problem: The secondary header's self-pointer indicates that it doesn't
reside
at the end of the disk. If you've added a disk to a RAID array, use the 'e'
option on the experts' menu to adjust the secondary header's and partition
table's locations.

Problem: Disk is too small to hold all the data!
(Disk size is 3907073134 sectors, needs to be 5860533168 sectors.)
The 'e' option on the experts' menu may fix this problem.

Problem: partition 1 is too big for the disk.

Identified 4 problems!/

My understanding of the issue is:
1. The HDD is not identified correctly by the mainboard/Bios with 3TB. This
is confirmed by the hardware vendor of my mainboard "Gigabyte P35-DS4",
means the limit is 2.2TB
2. The partition is too small to keep data of size 2.4TB

How can I recover the data?
Should I simply create a new partition table either with gdisk or parted?
Can I make a low-level copy using dd starting from sector 2048 until the end
to another HDD WD30EZRX (that I have available) and then mount that
partition?
Or are there any other options?

THX

* Re: XFS formatted partition is shown as 2TB but should be 3TB
@ 2013-07-14 10:04 ` Matthias Schniedermeyer
From: Matthias Schniedermeyer @ 2013-07-14 10:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: c.monty; +Cc: linux-xfs

On 14.07.2013 00:57, c.monty wrote:
> Hi!
>
> On my new HDD WD30EZRX I created a GPT partition table and formatted it with
> XFS.
> Then I put some data (approx. 2.4TB) on that new partition.
>
> However, after restarting the system the disk is identified of size 2TB
> only.
> /knoppix@Microknoppix:~$ sudo fdisk -l
> Disk /dev/sda: 2000.4 GB, 2000421444608 bytes

Kernel reports the disc as 2TB.

k>
> My understanding of the issue is:
> 1. The HDD is not identified correctly by the mainboard/Bios with 3TB. This

BIOS isn't important for Linux (in that case). It just has to boot
Linux, after that BIOS is out of the picture (for storage).

> is confirmed by the hardware vendor of my mainboard "Gigabyte P35-DS4",
> means the limit is 2.2TB

P35 sounds too old for me. AFAIR older Intel-Hardware has a problem with
the 2TiB Barrier.

For the 2TiB-Barrier you need a recent system, something younger than
about 2-3 years. Most hardware older can't cope with discs bigger than
2^32 sectors.

> How can I recover the data?
> Should I simply create a new partition table either with gdisk or parted?
> Can I make a low-level copy using dd starting from sector 2048 until the end
> to another HDD WD30EZRX (that I have available) and then mount that
> partition?
> Or are there any other options?

Just plug it into a more recent system, it should "just work".

--

Matthias