* [U-Boot] [U-boot] uboot.lst file question
@ 2013-07-15 11:26 TigerLiu at viatech.com.cn
From: TigerLiu at viatech.com.cn @ 2013-07-15 11:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Hi, experts:
I found no *.lst file produced in root directory after compiling uboot
source code.

In the Makefile in older version uboot souce code:
uboot.bin:	uboot
		$(OBJCOPY) ${OBJCFLAGS} -O binary $< $@
		$(OBJDUMP) -d -EL -h -M reg-names-raw --syms
--full-contents -marm $< > uboot.lst

I think uboot.lst is very useful .

Best wishes,

* [U-Boot] [U-boot] uboot.lst file question
@ 2013-07-15 13:13 ` Albert ARIBAUD
From: Albert ARIBAUD @ 2013-07-15 13:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Hi TigerLiu at viatech.com.cn,

On Mon, 15 Jul 2013 19:26:31 +0800, <TigerLiu@viatech.com.cn> wrote:

> Hi, experts:
> I found no *.lst file produced in root directory after compiling uboot
> source code.
>
> In the Makefile in older version uboot souce code:
> uboot.bin:	uboot
> 		$(OBJCOPY) ${OBJCFLAGS} -O binary $< $@
> 		$(OBJDUMP) -d -EL -h -M reg-names-raw --syms
> --full-contents -marm $< > uboot.lst
>
> I think uboot.lst is very useful .

Then you should submit a patch for this, I guess. Note however that the
above implementation makes u-boot.lst a by-product of u-boot.bin; a
cleaner approach would be to make u-boot.lst a Make target of it own
-- which would admittedly depend on the 'u-boot' ELF file, like
u-boot.bin does.

> Best wishes,

Amicalement,
--
Albert.

* [U-Boot] [U-boot] uboot.lst file question
@ 2013-07-15 13:33 ` Gerhard Sittig
From: Gerhard Sittig @ 2013-07-15 13:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

On Mon, Jul 15, 2013 at 19:26 +0800, TigerLiu at viatech.com.cn wrote:

> Hi, experts:
> I found no *.lst file produced in root directory after compiling uboot
> source code.
>
> In the Makefile in older version uboot souce code:
> uboot.bin:	uboot
> 		$(OBJCOPY) ${OBJCFLAGS} -O binary $< $@
> 		$(OBJDUMP) -d -EL -h -M reg-names-raw --syms
> --full-contents -marm $< > uboot.lst
>
> I think uboot.lst is very useful .

Which "older version" would that have been?

A quick search shows that there has not been such a feature in
U-Boot as far as git can see (that's back to Nov 2002).  Neither
has the binary gone under the 'uboot' or 'uboot.bin' names.

There used to be .lst files, but they held completely different
information than assembler listings.  This isn't either what you
wanted.

What you cite is rather specific for an individual platform and
hightly unportable.  The search suggests that you are either
referring to an ancient version (more than eleven years old) or a
version that is not "the U-Boot project".

You may invoke the objdump(1) tool any time you like.  How often
is it actually that you need to read assembler instructions?  And
isn't it that you'd rather want .i or .s files then from the
compiler, instead of 'objdump -d' output that shows a rather
different perspective?

virtually yours
Gerhard Sittig
HRB 165235 Munich, Office: Kirchenstr. 5, D-82194 Groebenzell, Germany
Phone: +49-8142-66989-0 Fax: +49-8142-66989-80  Email: office at denx.de

* [U-Boot] [U-boot] uboot.lst file question
@ 2013-07-15 13:43   ` Gerhard Sittig
From: Gerhard Sittig @ 2013-07-15 13:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

On Mon, Jul 15, 2013 at 15:33 +0200, Gerhard Sittig wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 15, 2013 at 19:26 +0800, TigerLiu at viatech.com.cn wrote:
> >
> > [ uboot.lst file, disassembler listing ]
>
> A quick search shows that there has not been such a feature in
> U-Boot as far as git can see (that's back to Nov 2002).  Neither
> has the binary gone under the 'uboot' or 'uboot.bin' names.

I was too quick.  There hasn't been a .lst file (or it was used
for unrelated purposes).  Although there is the u-boot.dis file,
has been since at least Nov 2002, and still is.  Does this help
you?

Phone: +49-8142-66989-0 Fax: +49-8142-66989-80  Email: office at denx.de

* [U-Boot] [U-boot] uboot.lst file question
@ 2013-07-16  1:27     ` TigerLiu at viatech.com.cn
From: TigerLiu at viatech.com.cn @ 2013-07-16  1:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Hi, Sittig: