* [patch v3 0/3] reiserfs locking patchset v3
@ 2013-08-07 16:35 Jeff Mahoney
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Jeff Mahoney @ 2013-08-07 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: reiserfs-devel; +Cc: jack

This patchset untangles some of the locking in reiserfs. It has seen more
testing as part of the maintenance cycle in SLE 11 SP2.

- We push the write lock out of the xattr code. It doesn't need it and
  we can simplify locking by releasing and reacquiring the locks around
  the xattr calls.

- Handle nested locks properly. There's confusion on when a lock is nested,
  when it's not, and how to drop it across schedules like the BKL it is
  modeled after. We make the distinction between taking/releasing the lock
  and when to drop it for schedules and simplify the logic. This fixes
  a number of deadlocks that happen because the intention was to drop
  the write lock but it really only decremented the use count.

- Fix the deadlocks with the quota code. This involves dropping the write
  lock before quota calls and reacquring it afterwards. Without this patch
  reiserfs quotas are essentially unusable.

Jan - This series is in the for-3.12 branch of
git.kernel.org:/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/jeffm/linux-reiserfs.git

Thanks.

-Jeff