* Call to write tests for osstest
@ 2013-08-08 16:01 George Dunlap
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: George Dunlap @ 2013-08-08 16:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xen-devel

As release coordinator, and therefore de-facto
tracker-of-bugs-and-regressions, it seems to me that one of the
shortcomings in our current development mode is a lack of good
regression testing for many of the less common, but still very
important features of Xen; things like S3, driver domains, nested
virt, and so on.

We do have a regression-testing push gate for the xen trees, written
by Ian Jackson, called osstest, with a lot of great functionality,
including a test scheduler, an automatic Baysean bisector, and so on.
Apart from more hardware, it is mainly lacking a more complete set of
tests.

The Xen Project team here at Citrix agreed with me, and have decided
during the 4.4 timeframe to take on the task of adding some important
functional tests to osstest; our list is below.  We'd love for you to
join us.

I will be tracking the implementation of the tests as part of the
regular 4.4 release updates.  I encourage people to join us by
thinking about a particular feature or bit of functionality that is
not yet tested by osstest, which you would like to see implemented in
the 4.4 timeframe, and responding to this e-mail, or one of the
regular development update e-mails asking it to be added.

There is a description of osstest, along with a link to the source code, here:

http://blog.xen.org/index.php/2013/02/02/xen-automatic-test-system-osstest/

=== Testing coverage ===

* Network driver domains
 @George

* new libxl w/ previous versions of xl
 @IanJ

* Host S3 suspend
 @bguthro?

* Default [example] XSM policy
 @Stefano to ask Daniel D

* Xen on ARM
 # problem ATM: hardware
  @ianc
   emulator: @stefano to think about it

* Storage driver domains
 @roger

* HVM pci passthrough
 @anthony

* Nested virt?
 @intel (chased by George)

* Fix SRIOV test (chase intel)
 @ianj

* Fix bisector to e-mail blame-worthy parties
 @ianj

* Fix xl shutdown
  @ianj

* stub domains
  @athony

* Re: Call to write tests for osstest
@ 2013-08-08 17:32 ` Sander Eikelenboom
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Sander Eikelenboom @ 2013-08-08 17:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: George Dunlap; +Cc: xen-devel

> As release coordinator, and therefore de-facto
> tracker-of-bugs-and-regressions, it seems to me that one of the
> shortcomings in our current development mode is a lack of good
> regression testing for many of the less common, but still very
> important features of Xen; things like S3, driver domains, nested
> virt, and so on.

> We do have a regression-testing push gate for the xen trees, written
> by Ian Jackson, called osstest, with a lot of great functionality,
> including a test scheduler, an automatic Baysean bisector, and so on.
> Apart from more hardware, it is mainly lacking a more complete set of
> tests.

> The Xen Project team here at Citrix agreed with me, and have decided
> during the 4.4 timeframe to take on the task of adding some important
> functional tests to osstest; our list is below.  We'd love for you to
> join us.

> I will be tracking the implementation of the tests as part of the
> regular 4.4 release updates.  I encourage people to join us by
> thinking about a particular feature or bit of functionality that is
> not yet tested by osstest, which you would like to see implemented in
> the 4.4 timeframe, and responding to this e-mail, or one of the
> regular development update e-mails asking it to be added.

> There is a description of osstest, along with a link to the source code, here:

> http://blog.xen.org/index.php/2013/02/02/xen-automatic-test-system-osstest/

> === Testing coverage ===

> * Network driver domains
>  @George

> * new libxl w/ previous versions of xl
>  @IanJ

> * Host S3 suspend
>  @bguthro?

> * Default [example] XSM policy
>  @Stefano to ask Daniel D

> * Xen on ARM
>  # problem ATM: hardware
>   @ianc
>    emulator: @stefano to think about it

> * Storage driver domains
>  @roger

> * HVM pci passthrough
>  @anthony

> * Nested virt?
>  @intel (chased by George)

> * Fix SRIOV test (chase intel)
>  @ianj

> * Fix bisector to e-mail blame-worthy parties
>  @ianj

> * Fix xl shutdown
>   @ianj

:-)

> * stub domains
>   @athony

Some ideas, perhaps only with a xen version after a push (so Xen shouldn't be directly to blame) :

* More current kernels:
   - latest stable ?
   - linux-next ? (although perhaps only just before merge window, to prevent spending to much time in breaking on other random kernel stuff)
   - linus's tree ?
   - xen kernel tree's next branch

* Some performance testing (network, block, cpu/mem/fork/real apps benchmarks, some other metrics)
   - perhaps makes separate graphs of these, so one can see performance increase or decrease over a larger time frame, and see at around what commits that occurred.
   - only after all basic tests succeeded and a push was done.

--
Sander

* Re: Call to write tests for osstest
@ 2013-08-08 17:37 ` Sander Eikelenboom
From: Sander Eikelenboom @ 2013-08-08 17:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: George Dunlap; +Cc: xen-devel

> As release coordinator, and therefore de-facto
> tracker-of-bugs-and-regressions, it seems to me that one of the
> shortcomings in our current development mode is a lack of good
> regression testing for many of the less common, but still very
> important features of Xen; things like S3, driver domains, nested
> virt, and so on.

> We do have a regression-testing push gate for the xen trees, written
> by Ian Jackson, called osstest, with a lot of great functionality,
> including a test scheduler, an automatic Baysean bisector, and so on.
> Apart from more hardware, it is mainly lacking a more complete set of
> tests.

> The Xen Project team here at Citrix agreed with me, and have decided
> during the 4.4 timeframe to take on the task of adding some important
> functional tests to osstest; our list is below.  We'd love for you to
> join us.

> I will be tracking the implementation of the tests as part of the
> regular 4.4 release updates.  I encourage people to join us by
> thinking about a particular feature or bit of functionality that is
> not yet tested by osstest, which you would like to see implemented in
> the 4.4 timeframe, and responding to this e-mail, or one of the
> regular development update e-mails asking it to be added.

> There is a description of osstest, along with a link to the source code, here:

> http://blog.xen.org/index.php/2013/02/02/xen-automatic-test-system-osstest/

> === Testing coverage ===

> * Network driver domains
>  @George

> * new libxl w/ previous versions of xl
>  @IanJ

> * Host S3 suspend
>  @bguthro?

> * Default [example] XSM policy
>  @Stefano to ask Daniel D

> * Xen on ARM
>  # problem ATM: hardware
>   @ianc
>    emulator: @stefano to think about it

> * Storage driver domains
>  @roger

> * HVM pci passthrough
>  @anthony

> * Nested virt?
>  @intel (chased by George)

> * Fix SRIOV test (chase intel)
>  @ianj

> * Fix bisector to e-mail blame-worthy parties
>  @ianj

> * Fix xl shutdown
>   @ianj

> * stub domains
>   @athony

Slightly related,

Is xend/xm support going to be dropped for 4.4 ?
If so, that could spare quite some testing resources, so perhaps nice to know rather sooner than later ?

--
Sander

* Re: Call to write tests for osstest
@ 2013-08-08 19:40 ` Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk
From: Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk @ 2013-08-08 19:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: George Dunlap; +Cc: xen-devel

On Thu, Aug 08, 2013 at 05:01:01PM +0100, George Dunlap wrote:
> As release coordinator, and therefore de-facto
> tracker-of-bugs-and-regressions, it seems to me that one of the
> shortcomings in our current development mode is a lack of good
> regression testing for many of the less common, but still very
> important features of Xen; things like S3, driver domains, nested
> virt, and so on.
>
> We do have a regression-testing push gate for the xen trees, written
> by Ian Jackson, called osstest, with a lot of great functionality,
> including a test scheduler, an automatic Baysean bisector, and so on.
> Apart from more hardware, it is mainly lacking a more complete set of
> tests.
>
> The Xen Project team here at Citrix agreed with me, and have decided
> during the 4.4 timeframe to take on the task of adding some important
> functional tests to osstest; our list is below.  We'd love for you to
> join us.
>
> I will be tracking the implementation of the tests as part of the
> regular 4.4 release updates.  I encourage people to join us by
> thinking about a particular feature or bit of functionality that is
> not yet tested by osstest, which you would like to see implemented in
> the 4.4 timeframe, and responding to this e-mail, or one of the
> regular development update e-mails asking it to be added.
>
> There is a description of osstest, along with a link to the source code, here:
>
> http://blog.xen.org/index.php/2013/02/02/xen-automatic-test-system-osstest/
>
> === Testing coverage ===
>
> * Network driver domains
>  @George
>
> * new libxl w/ previous versions of xl
>  @IanJ
>
> * Host S3 suspend
>  @bguthro?
>
> * Default [example] XSM policy
>  @Stefano to ask Daniel D
>
> * Xen on ARM
>  # problem ATM: hardware
>   @ianc
>    emulator: @stefano to think about it
>
> * Storage driver domains
>  @roger
>
> * HVM pci passthrough
>  @anthony

PV pci passthrough would be nice too.

You can assign me to it, thought I would need some help in groking the
osstest thingy. Maybe I will just copy what @anthony is doing.

@ 2013-08-08 19:42   ` Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk
From: Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk @ 2013-08-08 19:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sander Eikelenboom; +Cc: George Dunlap, xen-devel

On Thu, Aug 08, 2013 at 07:32:21PM +0200, Sander Eikelenboom wrote:

> Thursday, August 8, 2013, 6:01:01 PM, you wrote:
>
> > As release coordinator, and therefore de-facto
> > tracker-of-bugs-and-regressions, it seems to me that one of the
> > shortcomings in our current development mode is a lack of good
> > regression testing for many of the less common, but still very
> > important features of Xen; things like S3, driver domains, nested
> > virt, and so on.
>
> > We do have a regression-testing push gate for the xen trees, written
> > by Ian Jackson, called osstest, with a lot of great functionality,
> > including a test scheduler, an automatic Baysean bisector, and so on.
> > Apart from more hardware, it is mainly lacking a more complete set of
> > tests.
>
> > The Xen Project team here at Citrix agreed with me, and have decided
> > during the 4.4 timeframe to take on the task of adding some important
> > functional tests to osstest; our list is below.  We'd love for you to
> > join us.
>
> > I will be tracking the implementation of the tests as part of the
> > regular 4.4 release updates.  I encourage people to join us by
> > thinking about a particular feature or bit of functionality that is
> > not yet tested by osstest, which you would like to see implemented in
> > the 4.4 timeframe, and responding to this e-mail, or one of the
> > regular development update e-mails asking it to be added.
>
> > There is a description of osstest, along with a link to the source code, here:
>
> > http://blog.xen.org/index.php/2013/02/02/xen-automatic-test-system-osstest/
>
> > === Testing coverage ===
>
> > * Network driver domains
> >  @George
>
> > * new libxl w/ previous versions of xl
> >  @IanJ
>
> > * Host S3 suspend
> >  @bguthro?
>
> > * Default [example] XSM policy
> >  @Stefano to ask Daniel D
>
> > * Xen on ARM
> >  # problem ATM: hardware
> >   @ianc
> >    emulator: @stefano to think about it
>
> > * Storage driver domains
> >  @roger
>
> > * HVM pci passthrough
> >  @anthony
>
> > * Nested virt?
> >  @intel (chased by George)
>
> > * Fix SRIOV test (chase intel)
> >  @ianj
>
> > * Fix bisector to e-mail blame-worthy parties
> >  @ianj
>
> > * Fix xl shutdown
> >   @ianj
>
> :-)
>
> > * stub domains
> >   @athony
>
> Some ideas, perhaps only with a xen version after a push (so Xen shouldn't be directly to blame) :
>
> * More current kernels:
>    - latest stable ?

No. Too much to chase.

>    - linux-next ? (although perhaps only just before merge window, to prevent spending to much time in breaking on other random kernel stuff)

No. Just tip/tip.git. That is the x86 folks tip. That had caused
headaches from us in the past.

>    - linus's tree ?

Yes.
>    - xen kernel tree's next branch

Yes. That is the xen/tip.git which has the Xen generic, x86 and ARM
subsystems all in one.

> * Some performance testing (network, block, cpu/mem/fork/real apps benchmarks, some other metrics)
>    - perhaps makes separate graphs of these, so one can see performance increase or decrease over a larger time frame, and see at around what commits that occurred.

That would be nice.

@ 2013-08-09 11:19   ` Dario Faggioli
From: Dario Faggioli @ 2013-08-09 11:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sander Eikelenboom; +Cc: George Dunlap, xen-devel

On gio, 2013-08-08 at 19:32 +0200, Sander Eikelenboom wrote:
> * Some performance testing (network, block, cpu/mem/fork/real apps benchmarks, some other metrics)
>    - perhaps makes separate graphs of these, so one can see performance increase or decrease over a larger time frame, and see at around what commits that occurred.
>    - only after all basic tests succeeded and a push was done.

We are after this too. I am looking at how to make it possible to do
something like that on top of OSSTest.

Perf benchmarking is a little bit different from regression
smoke-testing, but still I think (hope? :-)) that most of the
infrastructure can be reused.

Also, what hardware to use and how to properly schedule these kind of
"tests" is something that needs a bit more of thinking/discussion, I
think.

Anyway, although I'm not committing to have all it 100% ready for 4.4,
George, feel free to add this to your tracking list and put m name on
it.

Regards,
Dario

* Re: Call to write tests for osstest
@ 2013-08-09 11:46     ` Sander Eikelenboom
From: Sander Eikelenboom @ 2013-08-09 11:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dario Faggioli; +Cc: George Dunlap, xen-devel

> On gio, 2013-08-08 at 19:32 +0200, Sander Eikelenboom wrote:
>> * Some performance testing (network, block, cpu/mem/fork/real apps benchmarks, some other metrics)
>>    - perhaps makes separate graphs of these, so one can see performance increase or decrease over a larger time frame, and see at around what commits that occurred.
>>    - only after all basic tests succeeded and a push was done.
>>
> We are after this too. I am looking at how to make it possible to do
> something like that on top of OSSTest.

> Perf benchmarking is a little bit different from regression
> smoke-testing, but still I think (hope? :-)) that most of the
> infrastructure can be reused.

Yes it does require to keep the rest of the circumstances the same for a longer period of time.
But it could be quite valuable, slow introduced and minor performance regressions are hard to discover.

> Also, what hardware to use and how to properly schedule these kind of
> "tests" is something that needs a bit more of thinking/discussion, I
> think.

Yes since you have to keep the "environment" the same, the machine should only run the perf tests at that time.

@ 2013-08-09 12:00       ` Wei Liu
From: Wei Liu @ 2013-08-09 12:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sander Eikelenboom; +Cc: George Dunlap, Dario Faggioli, wei.liu2, xen-devel

On Fri, Aug 09, 2013 at 01:46:42PM +0200, Sander Eikelenboom wrote:

> Friday, August 9, 2013, 1:19:54 PM, you wrote:
>
> > On gio, 2013-08-08 at 19:32 +0200, Sander Eikelenboom wrote:
> >> * Some performance testing (network, block, cpu/mem/fork/real apps benchmarks, some other metrics)
> >>    - perhaps makes separate graphs of these, so one can see performance increase or decrease over a larger time frame, and see at around what commits that occurred.
> >>    - only after all basic tests succeeded and a push was done.
> >>
> > We are after this too. I am looking at how to make it possible to do
> > something like that on top of OSSTest.
>
> > Perf benchmarking is a little bit different from regression
> > smoke-testing, but still I think (hope? :-)) that most of the
> > infrastructure can be reused.
>
> Yes it does require to keep the rest of the circumstances the same for a longer period of time.
> But it could be quite valuable, slow introduced and minor performance regressions are hard to discover.
>
> > Also, what hardware to use and how to properly schedule these kind of
> > "tests" is something that needs a bit more of thinking/discussion, I
> > think.
>
> Yes since you have to keep the "environment" the same, the machine should only run the perf tests at that time.

This worries me. It is really hard to keep the "environment" the same.
AIUI network / block etc. performance can be affected by other kernel
subsystems. Also the kernel config could also have impact on
performance.

Wei.

@ 2013-08-09 12:04         ` Sander Eikelenboom
From: Sander Eikelenboom @ 2013-08-09 12:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wei Liu; +Cc: George Dunlap, Dario Faggioli, xen-devel

> On Fri, Aug 09, 2013 at 01:46:42PM +0200, Sander Eikelenboom wrote:
>>
>> Friday, August 9, 2013, 1:19:54 PM, you wrote:

>> > We are after this too. I am looking at how to make it possible to do
>> > something like that on top of OSSTest.
>>
>> > Perf benchmarking is a little bit different from regression
>> > smoke-testing, but still I think (hope? :-)) that most of the
>> > infrastructure can be reused.
>>
>> Yes it does require to keep the rest of the circumstances the same for a longer period of time.
>> But it could be quite valuable, slow introduced and minor performance regressions are hard to discover.
>>
>> > Also, what hardware to use and how to properly schedule these kind of
>> > "tests" is something that needs a bit more of thinking/discussion, I
>> > think.
>>
>> Yes since you have to keep the "environment" the same, the machine should only run the perf tests at that time.
>>

> This worries me. It is really hard to keep the "environment" the same.
> AIUI network / block etc. performance can be affected by other kernel
> subsystems. Also the kernel config could also have impact on
> performance.

True, though you probably should be able to make out a general trend when putting it in graphs.
And add a milestone when you significantly alter the config of a machine.

@ 2013-08-09 12:16           ` Dario Faggioli
From: Dario Faggioli @ 2013-08-09 12:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sander Eikelenboom; +Cc: George Dunlap, Wei Liu, xen-devel

On ven, 2013-08-09 at 14:04 +0200, Sander Eikelenboom wrote:
> Friday, August 9, 2013, 2:00:08 PM, you wrote:
> > This worries me. It is really hard to keep the "environment" the same.
> > AIUI network / block etc. performance can be affected by other kernel
> > subsystems. Also the kernel config could also have impact on
> > performance.
>
> True, though you probably should be able to make out a general trend when putting it in graphs.
> And add a milestone when you significantly alter the config of a machine.

Indeed.

However let's not run too fast. The final goal is the one you stated in
you're first e-mail. The first step is make it possible to run
performance benchmarks on top of OSSTest.

That way, even before adding these kind of tests to automated testing,
people could use that to investigate the performance impact of some
change they're working on.

Let's figure out the details on whether and how to merge it with the
push gate machinery after we have the mechanism itself in place, ok? :-)

Sander, I can keep you posted on progresses I make, if you're interested
in that.

Regards,
Dario

* Re: Call to write tests for osstest
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2013-08-13 14:24 ` Ben Guthro
From: Ben Guthro @ 2013-08-13 14:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: George Dunlap; +Cc: xen-devel

On Thu, Aug 8, 2013 at 12:01 PM, George Dunlap
<George.Dunlap@eu.citrix.com>wrote:

> As release coordinator, and therefore de-facto
> tracker-of-bugs-and-regressions, it seems to me that one of the
> shortcomings in our current development mode is a lack of good
> regression testing for many of the less common, but still very
> important features of Xen; things like S3, driver domains, nested
> virt, and so on.
>
> We do have a regression-testing push gate for the xen trees, written
> by Ian Jackson, called osstest, with a lot of great functionality,
> including a test scheduler, an automatic Baysean bisector, and so on.
> Apart from more hardware, it is mainly lacking a more complete set of
> tests.
>
> The Xen Project team here at Citrix agreed with me, and have decided
> during the 4.4 timeframe to take on the task of adding some important
> functional tests to osstest; our list is below.  We'd love for you to
> join us.
>
> I will be tracking the implementation of the tests as part of the
> regular 4.4 release updates.  I encourage people to join us by
> thinking about a particular feature or bit of functionality that is
> not yet tested by osstest, which you would like to see implemented in
> the 4.4 timeframe, and responding to this e-mail, or one of the
> regular development update e-mails asking it to be added.
>
> There is a description of osstest, along with a link to the source code,
> here:
>
> http://blog.xen.org/index.php/2013/02/02/xen-automatic-test-system-osstest/
>
> === Testing coverage ===
>
> * Network driver domains
>  @George
>
> * new libxl w/ previous versions of xl
>  @IanJ
>
> * Host S3 suspend
>  @bguthro?

I would be happy to contribute, to this effort, but was unsuccessful in
getting an osstest setup, when I last tried.
I think I would need to be paired with someone who can integrate code into
the test harness.

Ben

@ 2013-08-14 13:51   ` George Dunlap
From: George Dunlap @ 2013-08-14 13:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sander Eikelenboom; +Cc: xen-devel

On 08/08/13 18:37, Sander Eikelenboom wrote:
> Thursday, August 8, 2013, 6:01:01 PM, you wrote:
>
>> As release coordinator, and therefore de-facto
>> tracker-of-bugs-and-regressions, it seems to me that one of the
>> shortcomings in our current development mode is a lack of good
>> regression testing for many of the less common, but still very
>> important features of Xen; things like S3, driver domains, nested
>> virt, and so on.
>> We do have a regression-testing push gate for the xen trees, written
>> by Ian Jackson, called osstest, with a lot of great functionality,
>> including a test scheduler, an automatic Baysean bisector, and so on.
>> Apart from more hardware, it is mainly lacking a more complete set of
>> tests.
>> The Xen Project team here at Citrix agreed with me, and have decided
>> during the 4.4 timeframe to take on the task of adding some important
>> functional tests to osstest; our list is below.  We'd love for you to
>> join us.
>> I will be tracking the implementation of the tests as part of the
>> regular 4.4 release updates.  I encourage people to join us by
>> thinking about a particular feature or bit of functionality that is
>> not yet tested by osstest, which you would like to see implemented in
>> the 4.4 timeframe, and responding to this e-mail, or one of the
>> regular development update e-mails asking it to be added.
>> There is a description of osstest, along with a link to the source code, here:
>> http://blog.xen.org/index.php/2013/02/02/xen-automatic-test-system-osstest/
>> === Testing coverage ===
>> * Network driver domains
>>   @George
>> * new libxl w/ previous versions of xl
>>   @IanJ
>> * Host S3 suspend
>>   @bguthro?
>> * Default [example] XSM policy
>>   @Stefano to ask Daniel D
>> * Xen on ARM
>>   # problem ATM: hardware
>>    @ianc
>>     emulator: @stefano to think about it
>> * Storage driver domains
>>   @roger
>> * HVM pci passthrough
>>   @anthony
>> * Nested virt?
>>   @intel (chased by George)
>> * Fix SRIOV test (chase intel)
>>   @ianj
>> * Fix bisector to e-mail blame-worthy parties
>>   @ianj
>> * Fix xl shutdown
>>    @ianj
>> * stub domains
>>    @athony
>
> Slightly related,
>
> Is xend/xm support going to be dropped for 4.4 ?
> If so, that could spare quite some testing resources, so perhaps nice to know rather sooner than later ?

It's not really clear yet -- I think a proper discussion will happen
if/when someone posts a patch to remove it. :-)

  -George

* Re: Call to write tests for osstest
@ 2013-08-14 13:52   ` George Dunlap
From: George Dunlap @ 2013-08-14 13:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk; +Cc: xen-devel

On 08/08/13 20:40, Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 08, 2013 at 05:01:01PM +0100, George Dunlap wrote:
>> As release coordinator, and therefore de-facto
>> tracker-of-bugs-and-regressions, it seems to me that one of the
>> shortcomings in our current development mode is a lack of good
>> regression testing for many of the less common, but still very
>> important features of Xen; things like S3, driver domains, nested
>> virt, and so on.
>>
>> We do have a regression-testing push gate for the xen trees, written
>> by Ian Jackson, called osstest, with a lot of great functionality,
>> including a test scheduler, an automatic Baysean bisector, and so on.
>> Apart from more hardware, it is mainly lacking a more complete set of
>> tests.
>>
>> The Xen Project team here at Citrix agreed with me, and have decided
>> during the 4.4 timeframe to take on the task of adding some important
>> functional tests to osstest; our list is below.  We'd love for you to
>> join us.
>>
>> I will be tracking the implementation of the tests as part of the
>> regular 4.4 release updates.  I encourage people to join us by
>> thinking about a particular feature or bit of functionality that is
>> not yet tested by osstest, which you would like to see implemented in
>> the 4.4 timeframe, and responding to this e-mail, or one of the
>> regular development update e-mails asking it to be added.
>>
>> There is a description of osstest, along with a link to the source code, here:
>>
>> http://blog.xen.org/index.php/2013/02/02/xen-automatic-test-system-osstest/
>>
>> === Testing coverage ===
>>
>> * Network driver domains
>>   @George
>>
>> * new libxl w/ previous versions of xl
>>   @IanJ
>>
>> * Host S3 suspend
>>   @bguthro?
>>
>> * Default [example] XSM policy
>>   @Stefano to ask Daniel D
>>
>> * Xen on ARM
>>   # problem ATM: hardware
>>    @ianc
>>     emulator: @stefano to think about it
>>
>> * Storage driver domains
>>   @roger
>>
>> * HVM pci passthrough
>>   @anthony
> PV pci passthrough would be nice too.
>
> You can assign me to it, thought I would need some help in groking the
> osstest thingy. Maybe I will just copy what @anthony is doing.

I was thinking that would be a subset of the Network driver domains --
but I'll add it on here, and whoever gets to it first can do it. :-)

   -George

* Re: Call to write tests for osstest
@ 2013-08-14 15:03         ` George Dunlap
From: George Dunlap @ 2013-08-14 15:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wei Liu; +Cc: Sander Eikelenboom, Dario Faggioli, xen-devel

On 09/08/13 13:00, Wei Liu wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 09, 2013 at 01:46:42PM +0200, Sander Eikelenboom wrote:
>> Friday, August 9, 2013, 1:19:54 PM, you wrote:

>>> We are after this too. I am looking at how to make it possible to do
>>> something like that on top of OSSTest.
>>> Perf benchmarking is a little bit different from regression
>>> smoke-testing, but still I think (hope? :-)) that most of the
>>> infrastructure can be reused.
>> Yes it does require to keep the rest of the circumstances the same for a longer period of time.
>> But it could be quite valuable, slow introduced and minor performance regressions are hard to discover.
>>
>>> Also, what hardware to use and how to properly schedule these kind of
>>> "tests" is something that needs a bit more of thinking/discussion, I
>>> think.
>> Yes since you have to keep the "environment" the same, the machine should only run the perf tests at that time.
>>
> This worries me. It is really hard to keep the "environment" the same.
> AIUI network / block etc. performance can be affected by other kernel
> subsystems. Also the kernel config could also have impact on
> performance.

The same is true for functional regressions -- a bug could be introduced
by Xen, qemu, or the kernel.  The tester already keeps track of this, as
far as I know, and only moves one thing at a time.

  -George