* prjquota not updating used blocks
@ 2013-08-09 14:14 Weber, Charles (NIH/NIA/IRP) [C]
From: Weber, Charles (NIH/NIA/IRP) [C] @ 2013-08-09 14:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xfs

CentOS 6.4
Linux niairpfs1.irp.nia.nih.gov 2.6.32-358.6.2.el6.x86_64 #1 SMP Thu May 16 20:59:36 UTC 2013 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
xfsprogs-3.1.1-10.el6_4.1.x86_64
xfsdump-3.0.4-3.el6.x86_64

mount
/dev/mapper/shared1_vg-niairp_lv on /share/niairp type xfs (rw,delaylog,inode64,nobarrier,logbsize=256k,uquota,prjquota)

this is a 63T filesystem
xfs_quota report
Project quota on /share/niairp (/dev/mapper/shared1_vg-niairp_lv)
Project ID   Used   Soft   Hard Warn/Grace
---------- ---------------------------------
lbnnas          0      0     1T  00 [------]
lbnnccu         0      0   4.4T  00 [------]
tgb          1.3T      0     2T  00 [------]
apps       106.4G      0   150G  00 [------]
ncts       205.7G      0   250G  00 [------]
lg           1.4T      0    10T  00 [------]

Since initializing a project quota, there is no change in used blocks. When I initialize the block count is correct.  If I re-initialize, the used block count is updated properly.

I copied 2T last night into the folder referenced by the lg project quota and there is no change in used blocks today.
What have I missed?

Weber, Charles (NIH/NIA/IRP)
weberc@mail.nih.gov
p: 410-558-8001
c: 443-473-6493
251 Bayview Blvd
Baltimore MD 21224
NCTS performance comments and survey at:
https://niairpkiosk.irp.nia.nih.gov/content/ncts-user-survey

* Re: prjquota not updating used blocks
@ 2013-08-09 15:19 ` Ben Myers
From: Ben Myers @ 2013-08-09 15:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Weber, Charles (NIH/NIA/IRP) [C]; +Cc: xfs

Hi Charles,

On Fri, Aug 09, 2013 at 10:14:21AM -0400, Weber, Charles (NIH/NIA/IRP) [C] wrote:
> CentOS 6.4
> Linux niairpfs1.irp.nia.nih.gov 2.6.32-358.6.2.el6.x86_64 #1 SMP Thu May 16 20:59:36 UTC 2013 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
> xfsprogs-3.1.1-10.el6_4.1.x86_64
> xfsdump-3.0.4-3.el6.x86_64
>
> mount
> /dev/mapper/shared1_vg-niairp_lv on /share/niairp type xfs (rw,delaylog,inode64,nobarrier,logbsize=256k,uquota,prjquota)
>
> this is a 63T filesystem
> xfs_quota report
> Project quota on /share/niairp (/dev/mapper/shared1_vg-niairp_lv)
> Project ID   Used   Soft   Hard Warn/Grace
> ---------- ---------------------------------
> lbnnas          0      0     1T  00 [------]
> lbnnccu         0      0   4.4T  00 [------]
> tgb          1.3T      0     2T  00 [------]
> apps       106.4G      0   150G  00 [------]
> ncts       205.7G      0   250G  00 [------]
> lg           1.4T      0    10T  00 [------]
>
> Since initializing a project quota, there is no change in used blocks. When I initialize the block count is correct.  If I re-initialize, the used block count is updated properly.
>
> I copied 2T last night into the folder referenced by the lg project quota and there is no change in used blocks today.
> What have I missed?

An initial guess is you did not set up the project in xfs_quota using the
'project -s' xfs_quota command.

'project -c' output should look like this:

xfs_quota> project -c testproject
Checking project testproject (path /mnt/test/testa)...
Checking project testproject (path /mnt/test/testb)...
Processed 2 (/etc/projects and cmdline) paths for project testproject with recursion depth infinite (-1).

But if you don't set up a project you might see something like this:

xfs_quota> project -c testproject
Checking project testproject (path /mnt/test/testa)...
/mnt/test/testa - project identifier is not set (inode=0, tree=33)
/mnt/test/testa - project inheritance flag is not set
/mnt/test/testa/file - project identifier is not set (inode=0, tree=33)
/mnt/test/testa/file - project inheritance flag is not set
Checking project testproject (path /mnt/test/testb)...
/mnt/test/testb - project identifier is not set (inode=0, tree=33)
/mnt/test/testb - project inheritance flag is not set
Processed 2 (/etc/projects and cmdline) paths for project testproject with recursion depth infinite (-1).

And you'd have similar symptoms.  You can also check which project the files
you created are in by using the xfs_io 'lsproj' command.  There is also a
'chproj' command if find that your existing files aren't in the project and
need to add them in.

Regards,
	Ben

* Re: prjquota not updating used blocks
@ 2013-08-09 16:29   ` Weber, Charles (NIH/NIA/IRP) [C]
From: Weber, Charles (NIH/NIA/IRP) [C] @ 2013-08-09 16:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ben Myers; +Cc: xfs

Hi Ben,
When I referred to initialize I meant  running xfs_quota -x project -s name
When I run xfs_quota -x 'project -c lg'
I do get warnings about project identifier and inheritance but only for the new directories that I created and copied the large data sets into. I don't get those warning about the earlier files and folders for a given project.
When I run the project -s again it does update the block usage. But I would think the block usage should update automatically.
Thanks for replying so quickly.
Chuck

@ 2013-08-09 17:17     ` Ben Myers
From: Ben Myers @ 2013-08-09 17:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Weber, Charles (NIH/NIA/IRP) [C]; +Cc: xfs

Hey Charles,

On Fri, Aug 09, 2013 at 12:29:20PM -0400, Weber, Charles (NIH/NIA/IRP) [C] wrote:
> When I referred to initialize I meant  running xfs_quota -x project -s name

Hmm.  What if you used 'xfs_quota -x project -s -p /path/to/new/dirs name'?

> When I run xfs_quota -x 'project -c lg'
>
> I do get warnings about project identifier and inheritance but only for the
> new directories that I created and copied the large data sets into. I don't
> get those warning about the earlier files and folders for a given project.

Those warnings refer to not having a project id set in the inode core, and
whether a directory will set it's project id into the inode cores of whatever
you create inside.  Without that project id set in the new files you create,
the quota subsystem won't know which project quota to reserve blocks
against.  That's why your block usage wasn't changing.

> When I run the project -s again it does update the block usage.

Maybe the first try failed to find the new directory?  I'm not sure.

> But I would think the block usage should update automatically.

Could you cut an paste the procedure to you used to create the new directories?

Thanks,
	Ben

* Re: prjquota not updating used blocks
@ 2013-08-09 18:27       ` Weber, Charles (NIH/NIA/IRP) [C]