* [lm-sensors] Configuration file for ASUS P8H77-I motherboard
@ 2013-08-29  7:47 Victor Severov
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Victor Severov @ 2013-08-29  7:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lm-sensors

Hi all!

Here is my lm-sensors config file for Asus P8H77-I motherboard. This MB
uses undocumented it8771e chip for voltage, temp and fan speed monitoring.

I hope this config may be useful to someone.
Thank you.

--
Best regards!
/Serverov.

-----8<-----8<-----8<-----8<-----8<-----8<-----8<-----8<-----

# lm-sensors configuration file for the ASUS P8H77-I motherboard
# Victor Serverov <serverov <at> gmail.com>
# 29-Aug-2013
#

chip "it8771-*"

label in0 "Vcore"
label in1 "Vram"
label in2 "+12V"
label in3 "+5V"
label in4 "+3.3V"
ignore in5
ignore in6
ignore in7

compute in0 @+0.06, @-0.06
compute in2 @*(72/12), @/(72/12)
compute in3 @*(30/12), @/(30/12)
compute in4 @*(1978/1200), @/(1978/1200)

set in0_min 0.92 * 0.90
set in0_max 0.92 * 1.05
set in1_min 1.5*0.90
set in1_max 1.5 * 1.05
set in2_min 12.0 * 0.90
set in2_max 12.0 * 1.05
set in3_min 5.0 * 0.90
set in3_max 5.0 * 1.05
set in4_min 3.3 * 0.90
set in4_max 3.3 * 1.05

label fan1 "CPU Fan"
label fan2 "Chassis Fan"

label temp1 "CPU Temp"
label temp2 "M/B Temp"
ignore temp3

-----8<-----8<-----8<-----8<-----8<-----8<-----8<-----8<-----

* Re: [lm-sensors] Configuration file for ASUS P8H77-I motherboard
@ 2013-08-29  9:13 ` Jean Delvare
From: Jean Delvare @ 2013-08-29  9:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lm-sensors

Hi Victor,

On Thu, 29 Aug 2013 10:47:12 +0300, Victor Severov wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> Here is my lm-sensors config file for Asus P8H77-I motherboard. This MB
> uses undocumented it8771e chip for voltage, temp and fan speed monitoring.
>
> I hope this config may be useful to someone.
> Thank you.

I have added it to the wiki:
http://www.lm-sensors.org/wiki/Configurations/Asus/P8H77-I

Some comments :

> label in0 "Vcore"
> label in1 "Vram"
> label in2 "+12V"
> label in3 "+5V"
> label in4 "+3.3V"
> ignore in5
> ignore in6
> ignore in7

in7 is always VSB (+3.3V Stand-By) for this chip according to the
driver's source code, so it should be labelled as such, not ignored.
There's probably a note about this in the kernel logs when you load the
it87 driver.

> compute in0 @+0.06, @-0.06

I've seen this a few times in the past but electrically it makes no
sense.

> compute in2 @*(72/12), @/(72/12)
> compute in3 @*(30/12), @/(30/12)
> compute in4 @*(1978/1200), @/(1978/1200)

I'm curious how you came up with this unusual scaling factor?

> set in0_min 0.92 * 0.90
> set in0_max 0.92 * 1.05

Modern CPUs tend to have variable voltage so the above makes little
sense. What CPU are you using?

> set in1_min 1.5*0.90
> set in1_max 1.5 * 1.05
> set in2_min 12.0 * 0.90
> set in2_max 12.0 * 1.05
> set in3_min 5.0 * 0.90
> set in3_max 5.0 * 1.05
> set in4_min 3.3 * 0.90
> set in4_max 3.3 * 1.05

The ATX specifications sets the limit to +/-5 % so all these * 0.90
should really be * 0.95 (or 0.94 if you want to take the resistor's
imperfection into account.)

> label fan1 "CPU Fan"
> label fan2 "Chassis Fan"
>
> label temp1 "CPU Temp"
> label temp2 "M/B Temp"
> ignore temp3

Thanks for your contribution.

--
Jean Delvare

* Re: [lm-sensors] Configuration file for ASUS P8H77-I motherboard
@ 2013-08-29 17:02 ` Victor Severov
From: Victor Severov @ 2013-08-29 17:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lm-sensors

Hi Jean

> I have added it to the wiki:
> http://www.lm-sensors.org/wiki/Configurations/Asus/P8H77-I

Thank you!

>> ignore in7
> in7 is always VSB (+3.3V Stand-By) for this chip according to the
> driver's source code, so it should be labelled as such, not ignored.
> There's probably a note about this in the kernel logs when you load the
> it87 driver.
Unfortunately I can't find any scaling factor for VSB3 voltage. Sometimes
in7 = 5.98, sometimes in7 = 4.44 or even 3.91, and I can't see any
regularity for this values.
Still no ideas about this in7 parameter. :(

>> compute in0 @+0.06, @-0.06
> I've seen this a few times in the past but electrically it makes no
> sense.

My motherboard uses intel g2020 processor with nominal core voltage 0.92V.
Core voltage displays as 0,86V in lm-sensors by default.
In BIOS power management menu core voltage displays as 0.92V, In my guess
we needs a "+0.06" correction for this.
Maybe I'm wrong.

>> compute in2 @*(72/12), @/(72/12)
>> compute in3 @*(30/12), @/(30/12)
>> compute in4 @*(1978/1200), @/(1978/1200)
> I'm curious how you came up with this unusual scaling factor?

I used several reverse engineering tricks from this wonderful article:
http://www.lm-sensors.org/wiki/VoltageLabelsAndScaling

>> set in4_min 3.3 * 0.90
>> set in4_max 3.3 * 1.05

> The ATX specifications sets the limit to +/-5 % so all these * 0.90
> should really be * 0.95 (or 0.94 if you want to take the resistor's
> imperfection into account.)
Yes, this is my mistake.

Thank you for your comments and recommendations.

--
Best regards!
/Serverov.

@ 2013-08-30  6:50 ` Jean Delvare
From: Jean Delvare @ 2013-08-30  6:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lm-sensors

Hi Victor,

On Thu, 29 Aug 2013 20:02:34 +0300, Victor Severov wrote:
> Hi Jean
>
> > I have added it to the wiki:
> > http://www.lm-sensors.org/wiki/Configurations/Asus/P8H77-I
>
> Thank you!
>
> >> ignore in7
> > in7 is always VSB (+3.3V Stand-By) for this chip according to the
> > driver's source code, so it should be labelled as such, not ignored.
> > There's probably a note about this in the kernel logs when you load the
> > it87 driver.
> Unfortunately I can't find any scaling factor for VSB3 voltage. Sometimes
> in7 = 5.98, sometimes in7 = 4.44 or even 3.91, and I can't see any
> regularity for this values.
> Still no ideas about this in7 parameter. :(

OK. Well again we don't have a datasheet for the chip so it could be
that in7 behaves differently than we guessed. If the value changes all
the time then it suggests that the input is not connected (or the
signal is not routed properly due to wrong configuration.)
Unfortunately there's nothing we can do about it until we can get a
datasheet.

> >> compute in0 @+0.06, @-0.06
> > I've seen this a few times in the past but electrically it makes no
> > sense.
>
> My motherboard uses intel g2020 processor with nominal core voltage 0.92V.
> Core voltage displays as 0,86V in lm-sensors by default.
> In BIOS power management menu core voltage displays as 0.92V, In my guess
> we needs a "+0.06" correction for this.
> Maybe I'm wrong.

I think you are wrong, yes ;-) The G2020 supports Intel SpeedStep,
which means it operates at different frequency and voltage when idle
and when busy. In the BIOS, the CPU is always busy, so running at the
maximum voltage. In Linux it will be idle by default, this running at a
the minimum voltage. This explains your observation.

If you put some load on the CPU (or switch to the "performance" CPUFreq
governor) and run "sensors" again, it should report the same Vcore as
the BIOS was (without the compute line you added.) With your compute
line, it will (wrongly) indicate a higher voltage value.

So you want to drop the compute line for in0, and instead adjust the
min and max limits to take this voltage change into account:

   set in0_min 0.86 * 0.95
   set in0_max 0.92 * 1.05

> >> compute in2 @*(72/12), @/(72/12)
> >> compute in3 @*(30/12), @/(30/12)
> >> compute in4 @*(1978/1200), @/(1978/1200)
> > I'm curious how you came up with this unusual scaling factor?
>
> I used several reverse engineering tricks from this wonderful article:
> http://www.lm-sensors.org/wiki/VoltageLabelsAndScaling

Glad you liked it :)

> >> set in4_min 3.3 * 0.90
> >> set in4_max 3.3 * 1.05
>
> > The ATX specifications sets the limit to +/-5 % so all these * 0.90
> > should really be * 0.95 (or 0.94 if you want to take the resistor's
> > imperfection into account.)
> Yes, this is my mistake.
>
> Thank you for your comments and recommendations.

You're welcome. I have updated the wiki page accordingly.

--
Jean Delvare