* BUG: crashkernel does not boot upon crash from sysrq-trigger
@ 2013-12-16 11:35 Christoph Paasch
From: Christoph Paasch @ 2013-12-16 11:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel, x86
  Cc: WANG Cong, Yinghai Lu, Tejun Heo, ianfang.cn, Andrew Morton,
	Ingo Molnar, Thomas Gleixner, H. Peter Anvin

Hello,

since 3.5, my crashkernel does not boot anymore when triggering an oops with
/proc/sysrq-trigger on my HP Elitebook 8540p.

I bisected it down to 722bc6b16771ed8 (x86/mm: Fix the size calculation of
mapping tables).

Does anybody has an idea what is going wrong here?
Let me know, if I should provide more information.

Thanks,
Christoph

* Re: BUG: crashkernel does not boot upon crash from sysrq-trigger
@ 2013-12-16 17:36 ` Cong Wang
From: Cong Wang @ 2013-12-16 17:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christoph Paasch
  Cc: LKML, x86, Yinghai Lu, Tejun Heo, Ian Fang, Andrew Morton,
	Ingo Molnar, Thomas Gleixner, H. Peter Anvin

On Mon, Dec 16, 2013 at 3:35 AM, Christoph Paasch
<christoph.paasch@uclouvain.be> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> since 3.5, my crashkernel does not boot anymore when triggering an oops with
> /proc/sysrq-trigger on my HP Elitebook 8540p.
>
> I bisected it down to 722bc6b16771ed8 (x86/mm: Fix the size calculation of
> mapping tables).

It has been reverted in upstream.

* Re: BUG: crashkernel does not boot upon crash from sysrq-trigger
@ 2013-12-16 17:56   ` Christoph Paasch
From: Christoph Paasch @ 2013-12-16 17:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cong Wang
  Cc: LKML, x86, Yinghai Lu, Tejun Heo, Ian Fang, Andrew Morton,

On 16/12/13 - 09:36:52, Cong Wang wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 16, 2013 at 3:35 AM, Christoph Paasch
> <christoph.paasch@uclouvain.be> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > since 3.5, my crashkernel does not boot anymore when triggering an oops with
> > /proc/sysrq-trigger on my HP Elitebook 8540p.
> >
> > I bisected it down to 722bc6b16771ed8 (x86/mm: Fix the size calculation of
> > mapping tables).
> >

> It has been reverted in upstream.

Oh, then something else is causing my bug again, because I tried v3.13-rc3
to see if it has been fixed upstream. And, my Ubuntu runs on v3.11, where
the crashkernel does not work either.

My bisect ended up on 722bc6b16771ed8 because I started bisecting between v3.2
(good) and v3.5 (bad).

So, then I will make again a bisect between v3.7 and v3.11.

Thanks,
Christoph