* HW accelerated support for setting skb->pkt_type?
@ 2013-12-19  2:29 Florian Fainelli
From: Florian Fainelli @ 2013-12-19  2:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: netdev, Eric Dumazet, David Miller

Hi all,

I work with two Ethernet controllers which can tell on a per-packet
basis whether this is a broadcast, unicast or multicast, eventually
allowing me to bypass the initial checks done in eth_type_trans().

Is there any other hardware out there which supports that, and is
there any interest in optimizing that operation?

Thanks
--
Florian

* Re: HW accelerated support for setting skb->pkt_type?
@ 2013-12-19  2:56 ` Eric Dumazet
From: Eric Dumazet @ 2013-12-19  2:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Florian Fainelli; +Cc: netdev, David Miller

On Wed, 2013-12-18 at 18:29 -0800, Florian Fainelli wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I work with two Ethernet controllers which can tell on a per-packet
> basis whether this is a broadcast, unicast or multicast, eventually
> allowing me to bypass the initial checks done in eth_type_trans().
>
> Is there any other hardware out there which supports that, and is
> there any interest in optimizing that operation?

Other hardware have this as well, but I doubt it makes any difference,
unless you have an arch with a 16 bytes cache line.

* Re: HW accelerated support for setting skb->pkt_type?
@ 2013-12-19  5:16 ` David Miller
From: David Miller @ 2013-12-19  5:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: f.fainelli; +Cc: netdev, eric.dumazet

From: Florian Fainelli <f.fainelli@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2013 18:29:37 -0800

> I work with two Ethernet controllers which can tell on a per-packet
> basis whether this is a broadcast, unicast or multicast, eventually
> allowing me to bypass the initial checks done in eth_type_trans().
>
> Is there any other hardware out there which supports that, and is
> there any interest in optimizing that operation?

There is zero benefit from this, since you're going to have to touch
the packet headers anyways and the memory access from that dwarfs
anything else.