* [Buildroot] Patchwork oldest patches cleanup #5 (deadline January 19)
@ 2014-01-05 16:01 Thomas De Schampheleire
                   ` (4 more replies)
From: Thomas De Schampheleire @ 2014-01-05 16:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

All,

Here is the session 5 of the patchwork cleanup. For those who haven't
followed previous sessions, here is a quick recap: every session we'll
be posting the list of the 10 oldest patches, with the original patch
contributors in copy. During two weeks, we have the opportunity to
discuss the patch, whether it is still necessary or not, how it should
be changed to be merged.

In particular, I'm interested in knowing if the original contributor is
still interested by the patch, or if someone else is interested in
adopting the patch and sending an updated version, or if the patch no
longer makes sense due to other changes made in Buildroot.

All patches that have not received any comment or attention before the
deadline will be removed from patchwork. This is aggressive, but we have
many 'dead' patches sitting in patchwork, and this cannot work.

Deadline for this session is January 19.

Below are the 10 oldest patches (obtained with a slightly modified
version of pwclient):
[ pwclient list -s New -n 17 ] (and skip Delegated patches)

tokyocabinet: new package
Jon Diekema <jon.diekema@gmail.com>
http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/207827

[RFC,1/2] barebox: Build barebox in separate directory.
Marek Belisko <marek.belisko@open-nandra.com>
http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/207942

[RFC,2/2] barebox: Add possibility to build also barebox xloader (MLO).
Marek Belisko <marek.belisko@open-nandra.com>
http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/207943

new package: p7zip
Stefan Fr?berg <stefan.froberg@petroprogram.com>
http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/207947

toolchain-external: re-introduce Sourcery CodeBench ARM 2010.09
Jean-Christophe PLAGNIOL-VILLARD <plagnioj@jcrosoft.com>
http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/207978

[1/1,v2] Hide issue and hostname menu when using a custom skeleton.
Sagaert Johan <sagaert.johan@skynet.be>
http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/211644

[1/2] new package: python-posix_ipc.
Matt Weber <rc.lsw.collaborate@gmail.com>
http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/212498

[2/2] new package: python-posix_ipc
Matt Weber <rc.lsw.collaborate@gmail.com>
http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/212499

[1/1] added python unicode selection to menu
Matt Weber <rc.lsw.collaborate@gmail.com>
http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/212500

[1/2] makebootfat: new package
Floris Bos <bos@je-eigen-domein.nl>
http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/213112

Thanks in advance for your feedback,
Thomas

* [Buildroot] Patchwork oldest patches cleanup #5 (deadline January 19)
@ 2014-01-05 16:03 ` Thomas De Schampheleire
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Thomas De Schampheleire @ 2014-01-05 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

On Sun, Jan 5, 2014 at 5:01 PM, Thomas De Schampheleire
<patrickdepinguin@gmail.com> wrote:
> All,
>
> Here is the session 5 of the patchwork cleanup. For those who haven't
> followed previous sessions, here is a quick recap: every session we'll
> be posting the list of the 10 oldest patches, with the original patch
> contributors in copy. During two weeks, we have the opportunity to
> discuss the patch, whether it is still necessary or not, how it should
> be changed to be merged.
>
> In particular, I'm interested in knowing if the original contributor is
> still interested by the patch, or if someone else is interested in
> adopting the patch and sending an updated version, or if the patch no
> longer makes sense due to other changes made in Buildroot.
>
> All patches that have not received any comment or attention before the
> deadline will be removed from patchwork. This is aggressive, but we have
> many 'dead' patches sitting in patchwork, and this cannot work.
>
> Deadline for this session is January 19.

Just a quick note: we're touching a new milestone here: the patches
below are 'only' one year old now!

* [Buildroot] Patchwork oldest patches cleanup #5 (deadline January 19)
@ 2014-01-05 16:20 ` Yann E. MORIN
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Yann E. MORIN @ 2014-01-05 16:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Thomas, All,

On 2014-01-05 17:01 +0100, Thomas De Schampheleire spake thusly:
> Here is the session 5 of the patchwork cleanup.
[--SNIP--]
> [1/1,v2] Hide issue and hostname menu when using a custom skeleton.
> Sagaert Johan <sagaert.johan@skynet.be>
> http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/211644

Since I've already been involved in that one, I'll handle it.
It needs a bit of a refresh.

> [1/2] makebootfat: new package
> Floris Bos <bos@je-eigen-domein.nl>
> http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/213112

I'm not sure we need that one. We already have:
  - host-dosfstools to generate (empty) fat filesystems in a image file;
  - host-mtools to add files to a fat filesystem, and it works with
    image files.

For example, I use it as thus:
http://ymorin.is-a-geek.org/git/buildroot.config/tree/scripts/genimages.d/fs/vfat

So I suggest we just drop makebootfat, there's no need to duplicate our
host packages.

Regards,
Yann E. MORIN.

* [Buildroot] Patchwork oldest patches cleanup #5 (deadline January 19)
@ 2014-01-05 16:25   ` Yann E. MORIN
From: Yann E. MORIN @ 2014-01-05 16:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

On 2014-01-05 17:03 +0100, Thomas De Schampheleire spake thusly:
> On Sun, Jan 5, 2014 at 5:01 PM, Thomas De Schampheleire
> <patrickdepinguin@gmail.com> wrote:
> > All,
> >
> > Here is the session 5 of the patchwork cleanup.
[--SNIP--]
> Just a quick note: we're touching a new milestone here: the patches
> below are 'only' one year old now!

Yeah! Thank you for handling this! :-)

Regards,
Yann E. MORIN.

* [Buildroot] Patchwork oldest patches cleanup #5 (deadline January 19)
@ 2014-01-05 17:17   ` Yann E. MORIN
From: Yann E. MORIN @ 2014-01-05 17:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Thomas, Floris, All,

On 2014-01-05 17:20 +0100, Yann E. MORIN spake thusly:
> On 2014-01-05 17:01 +0100, Thomas De Schampheleire spake thusly:
> > Here is the session 5 of the patchwork cleanup.
[--SNIP--]
> > [1/2] makebootfat: new package
> > Floris Bos <bos@je-eigen-domein.nl>
> > http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/213112
>
> I'm not sure we need that one. We already have:
>   - host-dosfstools to generate (empty) fat filesystems in a image file;
>   - host-mtools to add files to a fat filesystem, and it works with
>     image files.

It seems I've spoken a bit fast on that one. There's one thing this
package provides that is not provided by dosfstools or mtools: an MBR
bootcode.

However, we already have syslinux, which does provide an MBR bootcode.
It's currently not installed; it's just a matter of adding one more
option to syslinux, to install its MBR bootcode.

So, my previous position still stands: we already have the required
packages; no need to duplicate what we already have.

Regards,
Yann E. MORIN.

* [Buildroot] Patchwork oldest patches cleanup #5 (deadline January 19)
@ 2014-01-06 13:45 ` Matthew Weber
From: Matthew Weber @ 2014-01-06 13:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hi Thomas,

buildroot-bounces at busybox.net wrote on 01/05/2014 10:01:56 AM:

> From: Thomas De Schampheleire <patrickdepinguin@gmail.com>
> To: buildroot <buildroot@busybox.net>, Matt Weber
> <rc.lsw.collaborate@gmail.com>, Jean-Christophe PLAGNIOL-VILLARD
> <plagnioj@jcrosoft.com>, Jon Diekema <jon.diekema@gmail.com>, Marek
> Belisko <marek.belisko@open-nandra.com>, Floris Bos <bos@je-eigen-
> domein.nl>, Sagaert Johan <sagaert.johan@skynet.be>, Stefan Fr?berg
> <stefan.froberg@petroprogram.com>
> Date: 01/05/2014 10:02 AM
> Subject: [Buildroot] Patchwork oldest patches cleanup #5 (deadline
January 19)
> Sent by: buildroot-bounces at busybox.net

<snip>

> [1/2] new package: python-posix_ipc.
> Matt Weber <rc.lsw.collaborate@gmail.com>
> http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/212498
>
> [2/2] new package: python-posix_ipc
> Matt Weber <rc.lsw.collaborate@gmail.com>
> http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/212499

Still need this one.  I'll get is updated with the new python pkg hooks
and submit a v2.

> [1/1] added python unicode selection to menu
> Matt Weber <rc.lsw.collaborate@gmail.com>
> http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/212500

The default unicode mode of a python build is ucs4.  This patch adds the
option to select ucs2 or 4 if the unicode mode is enabled.  I'll refresh
this one and submit v2.

* [Buildroot] Patchwork oldest patches cleanup #5 (deadline January 19)
@ 2014-01-09 20:40   ` Yann E. MORIN
From: Yann E. MORIN @ 2014-01-09 20:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Thomas, All,

On 2014-01-05 17:20 +0100, Yann E. MORIN spake thusly:
> On 2014-01-05 17:01 +0100, Thomas De Schampheleire spake thusly:
> > Here is the session 5 of the patchwork cleanup.
> [--SNIP--]
> > [1/1,v2] Hide issue and hostname menu when using a custom skeleton.
> > Sagaert Johan <sagaert.johan@skynet.be>
> > http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/211644
>
> Since I've already been involved in that one, I'll handle it.
> It needs a bit of a refresh.

Superseded by:
    http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/307858/

Regards,
Yann E. MORIN.

* [Buildroot] Patchwork oldest patches cleanup #5 (deadline January 19)
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2014-01-18 15:35 ` Thomas De Schampheleire
From: Thomas De Schampheleire @ 2014-01-18 15:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hi,

On Sun, Jan 5, 2014 at 5:01 PM, Thomas De Schampheleire
<patrickdepinguin@gmail.com> wrote:
> All,
>
> Here is the session 5 of the patchwork cleanup. For those who haven't
> followed previous sessions, here is a quick recap: every session we'll
> be posting the list of the 10 oldest patches, with the original patch
> contributors in copy. During two weeks, we have the opportunity to
> discuss the patch, whether it is still necessary or not, how it should
> be changed to be merged.
>
> In particular, I'm interested in knowing if the original contributor is
> still interested by the patch, or if someone else is interested in
> adopting the patch and sending an updated version, or if the patch no
> longer makes sense due to other changes made in Buildroot.
>
> All patches that have not received any comment or attention before the
> deadline will be removed from patchwork. This is aggressive, but we have
> many 'dead' patches sitting in patchwork, and this cannot work.
>
> Deadline for this session is January 19.
>
> Below are the 10 oldest patches (obtained with a slightly modified
> version of pwclient):
> [ pwclient list -s New -n 17 ] (and skip Delegated patches)
>

> tokyocabinet: new package
> Jon Diekema <jon.diekema@gmail.com>
> http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/207827
>
> [RFC,1/2] barebox: Build barebox in separate directory.
> Marek Belisko <marek.belisko@open-nandra.com>
> http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/207942
>
> [RFC,2/2] barebox: Add possibility to build also barebox xloader (MLO).
> Marek Belisko <marek.belisko@open-nandra.com>
> http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/207943
>
> new package: p7zip
> Stefan Fr?berg <stefan.froberg@petroprogram.com>
> http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/207947
>
> toolchain-external: re-introduce Sourcery CodeBench ARM 2010.09
> Jean-Christophe PLAGNIOL-VILLARD <plagnioj@jcrosoft.com>
> http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/207978
>
> [1/1,v2] Hide issue and hostname menu when using a custom skeleton.
> Sagaert Johan <sagaert.johan@skynet.be>
> http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/211644
>
> [1/2] new package: python-posix_ipc.
> Matt Weber <rc.lsw.collaborate@gmail.com>
> http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/212498
>
> [2/2] new package: python-posix_ipc
> Matt Weber <rc.lsw.collaborate@gmail.com>
> http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/212499
>
> [1/1] added python unicode selection to menu
> Matt Weber <rc.lsw.collaborate@gmail.com>
> http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/212500
>
> [1/2] makebootfat: new package
> Floris Bos <bos@je-eigen-domein.nl>
> http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/213112

Sorry that I did not yet send any reminder last week. Here is a quick
one: if you think any of these patches (that did not yet receive
positive feedback) are still needed, let us know.

Thanks,
Thomas

* [Buildroot] Patchwork oldest patches cleanup #5 (deadline January 19)
@ 2014-01-20 20:37     ` Thomas De Schampheleire
From: Thomas De Schampheleire @ 2014-01-20 20:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hi Yann,

On Sun, Jan 5, 2014 at 6:17 PM, Yann E. MORIN <yann.morin.1998@free.fr> wrote:
> Thomas, Floris, All,
>
> On 2014-01-05 17:20 +0100, Yann E. MORIN spake thusly:
>> On 2014-01-05 17:01 +0100, Thomas De Schampheleire spake thusly:
>> > Here is the session 5 of the patchwork cleanup.
> [--SNIP--]
>> > [1/2] makebootfat: new package
>> > Floris Bos <bos@je-eigen-domein.nl>
>> > http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/213112
>>
>> I'm not sure we need that one. We already have:
>>   - host-dosfstools to generate (empty) fat filesystems in a image file;
>>   - host-mtools to add files to a fat filesystem, and it works with
>>     image files.
>
> It seems I've spoken a bit fast on that one. There's one thing this
> package provides that is not provided by dosfstools or mtools: an MBR
> bootcode.
>
> However, we already have syslinux, which does provide an MBR bootcode.
> It's currently not installed; it's just a matter of adding one more
> option to syslinux, to install its MBR bootcode.
>
> So, my previous position still stands: we already have the required
> packages; no need to duplicate what we already have.

For me this conclusion is fine.
There is a second patch in that same series:
http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/213113/
[2/2] Basic filesystem image with partition table support

which sounds a lot like your 'fs/custom' patch series. If you agree, I
propose to also reject that second patch since fs/custom is a more
generic solution to the same problem.

Thanks,
Thomas

* [Buildroot] Patchwork oldest patches cleanup #5 (deadline January 19)
@ 2014-01-20 20:43   ` Thomas De Schampheleire
From: Thomas De Schampheleire @ 2014-01-20 20:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hi Matt,

On Mon, Jan 6, 2014 at 2:45 PM, Matthew Weber
<mlweber1@rockwellcollins.com> wrote:
> Hi Thomas,

[..]

>> [1/2] new package: python-posix_ipc.
>> Matt Weber <rc.lsw.collaborate@gmail.com>
>> http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/212498
>>
>> [2/2] new package: python-posix_ipc
>> Matt Weber <rc.lsw.collaborate@gmail.com>
>> http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/212499
>
> Still need this one.  I'll get is updated with the new python pkg hooks
> and submit a v2.

Seems this has been included now, great!
I'm marking the v1's as superseded.

>> [1/1] added python unicode selection to menu
>> Matt Weber <rc.lsw.collaborate@gmail.com>
>> http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/212500
>>

> The default unicode mode of a python build is ucs4.  This patch adds the
> option to select ucs2 or 4 if the unicode mode is enabled.  I'll refresh
> this one and submit v2.

v2 has been submitted and is awaiting integration. I just reviewed it,
hopefully it can be integrated soon.

Thanks for your feedback and resubmissions!

Best regards,
Thomas

* [Buildroot] Patchwork oldest patches cleanup #5 (deadline January 19)
@ 2014-01-20 20:44     ` Thomas De Schampheleire
From: Thomas De Schampheleire @ 2014-01-20 20:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

On Thu, Jan 9, 2014 at 9:40 PM, Yann E. MORIN <yann.morin.1998@free.fr> wrote:
> Thomas, All,
>
> On 2014-01-05 17:20 +0100, Yann E. MORIN spake thusly:
>> On 2014-01-05 17:01 +0100, Thomas De Schampheleire spake thusly:
>> > Here is the session 5 of the patchwork cleanup.
>> [--SNIP--]
>> > [1/1,v2] Hide issue and hostname menu when using a custom skeleton.
>> > Sagaert Johan <sagaert.johan@skynet.be>
>> > http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/211644
>>
>> Since I've already been involved in that one, I'll handle it.
>> It needs a bit of a refresh.
>
> Superseded by:
>     http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/307858/

Thanks a lot Yann!

* [Buildroot] Patchwork oldest patches cleanup #5 (deadline January 19)
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2014-01-20 20:58 ` Thomas De Schampheleire
From: Thomas De Schampheleire @ 2014-01-20 20:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

All,

On Sun, Jan 5, 2014 at 5:01 PM, Thomas De Schampheleire
<patrickdepinguin@gmail.com> wrote:
> All,
>
> Here is the session 5 of the patchwork cleanup. For those who haven't
> followed previous sessions, here is a quick recap: every session we'll
> be posting the list of the 10 oldest patches, with the original patch
> contributors in copy. During two weeks, we have the opportunity to
> discuss the patch, whether it is still necessary or not, how it should
> be changed to be merged.
>
> In particular, I'm interested in knowing if the original contributor is
> still interested by the patch, or if someone else is interested in
> adopting the patch and sending an updated version, or if the patch no
> longer makes sense due to other changes made in Buildroot.
>
> All patches that have not received any comment or attention before the
> deadline will be removed from patchwork. This is aggressive, but we have
> many 'dead' patches sitting in patchwork, and this cannot work.
>
> Deadline for this session is January 19.
>
> Below are the 10 oldest patches (obtained with a slightly modified
> version of pwclient):
> [ pwclient list -s New -n 17 ] (and skip Delegated patches)

Here is the conclusion for this session:

> tokyocabinet: new package
> Jon Diekema <jon.diekema@gmail.com>
> http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/207827

No feedback: rejected.

> [RFC,1/2] barebox: Build barebox in separate directory.
> Marek Belisko <marek.belisko@open-nandra.com>
> http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/207942
>
> [RFC,2/2] barebox: Add possibility to build also barebox xloader (MLO).
> Marek Belisko <marek.belisko@open-nandra.com>
> http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/207943

No feedback. I would tend to reject these two patches, unless someone
still pops up and wants to adopt these patches. They introduce a
second build of barebox: one for the standard barebox, and another one
for the xloader. In fact, the only real difference seems to be that
both builds use a separate config file.

> new package: p7zip
> Stefan Fr?berg <stefan.froberg@petroprogram.com>
> http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/207947

No feedback: rejected.

> toolchain-external: re-introduce Sourcery CodeBench ARM 2010.09
> Jean-Christophe PLAGNIOL-VILLARD <plagnioj@jcrosoft.com>
> http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/207978

No feedback: rejected.

> [1/1,v2] Hide issue and hostname menu when using a custom skeleton.
> Sagaert Johan <sagaert.johan@skynet.be>
> http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/211644

Superseded thanks to Yann.

> [1/2] new package: python-posix_ipc.
> Matt Weber <rc.lsw.collaborate@gmail.com>
> http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/212498
>
> [2/2] new package: python-posix_ipc
> Matt Weber <rc.lsw.collaborate@gmail.com>
> http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/212499

Both superseded thanks to Matt.

> [1/1] added python unicode selection to menu
> Matt Weber <rc.lsw.collaborate@gmail.com>
> http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/212500

v2 submitted and awaiting further review/integration.

> [1/2] makebootfat: new package
> Floris Bos <bos@je-eigen-domein.nl>
> http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/213112

Marked as rejected based on feedback from Yann. If someone disagrees,
just let me know...

Best regards,
Thomas

* [Buildroot] Patchwork oldest patches cleanup #5 (deadline January 19)
@ 2014-01-20 21:20       ` Yann E. MORIN
From: Yann E. MORIN @ 2014-01-20 21:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Thomas, All,

On 2014-01-20 21:37 +0100, Thomas De Schampheleire spake thusly:
> On Sun, Jan 5, 2014 at 6:17 PM, Yann E. MORIN <yann.morin.1998@free.fr> wrote:
> > Thomas, Floris, All,
> >
> > On 2014-01-05 17:20 +0100, Yann E. MORIN spake thusly:
> >> On 2014-01-05 17:01 +0100, Thomas De Schampheleire spake thusly:
> > [--SNIP--]
> >>
> >> I'm not sure we need that one. We already have:
> >>   - host-dosfstools to generate (empty) fat filesystems in a image file;
> >>   - host-mtools to add files to a fat filesystem, and it works with
> >>     image files.
> >
> > It seems I've spoken a bit fast on that one. There's one thing this
> > package provides that is not provided by dosfstools or mtools: an MBR
> > bootcode.
> >
> > However, we already have syslinux, which does provide an MBR bootcode.
> > It's currently not installed; it's just a matter of adding one more
> > option to syslinux, to install its MBR bootcode.
> >
> > So, my previous position still stands: we already have the required
> > packages; no need to duplicate what we already have.
>
> For me this conclusion is fine.
> There is a second patch in that same series:
> http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/213113/
> [2/2] Basic filesystem image with partition table support
>
> which sounds a lot like your 'fs/custom' patch series. If you agree, I
> propose to also reject that second patch since fs/custom is a more
> generic solution to the same problem.

I've had only a quick look at that patch, and it is limited to building
MBR-based images, indeed.

Not because I'm the author (Ok, a bit becasue I'm the author), I'd
prefer we work to merge genimages, since it is more generic, already
supports MBR and GPT, and is more easily extendable to other formats.

Regards,
Yann E. MORIN.

* [Buildroot] Patchwork oldest patches cleanup #5 (deadline January 19)
@ 2014-01-28 19:56   ` Thomas Petazzoni
From: Thomas Petazzoni @ 2014-01-28 19:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Dear Thomas De Schampheleire,

On Mon, 20 Jan 2014 21:58:52 +0100, Thomas De Schampheleire wrote:

> > [RFC,1/2] barebox: Build barebox in separate directory.
> > Marek Belisko <marek.belisko@open-nandra.com>
> > http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/207942
> >
> > [RFC,2/2] barebox: Add possibility to build also barebox xloader (MLO).
> > Marek Belisko <marek.belisko@open-nandra.com>
> > http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/207943
>
> No feedback. I would tend to reject these two patches, unless someone
> still pops up and wants to adopt these patches. They introduce a
> second build of barebox: one for the standard barebox, and another one
> for the xloader. In fact, the only real difference seems to be that
> both builds use a separate config file.

In fact, there is a real problem that these patches from Marek are
trying to solve. Contrary to U-Boot with which a single build produces
both the first stage bootloader (SPL) and the second stage bootloader
(which is compatible with how Buildroot builds U-Boot), Barebox needs
two completely separate builds in this case. This means that currently,
Buildroot is unable, for some platforms, to generate both the first
stage and the second stage Barebox bootloaders.

Unfortunately, I don't really see a very clean solution to this
problem.

Thomas
--
Thomas Petazzoni, CTO, Free Electrons
http://free-electrons.com

* [Buildroot] Patchwork oldest patches cleanup #5 (deadline January 19)
@ 2014-02-03  9:43     ` Thomas De Schampheleire
From: Thomas De Schampheleire @ 2014-02-03  9:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hi Thomas,

Sorry for the late reply.

On Tue, Jan 28, 2014 at 8:56 PM, Thomas Petazzoni
<thomas.petazzoni@free-electrons.com> wrote:
> Dear Thomas De Schampheleire,
>
> On Mon, 20 Jan 2014 21:58:52 +0100, Thomas De Schampheleire wrote:
>
>> > [RFC,1/2] barebox: Build barebox in separate directory.
>> > Marek Belisko <marek.belisko@open-nandra.com>
>> > http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/207942
>> >
>> > [RFC,2/2] barebox: Add possibility to build also barebox xloader (MLO).
>> > Marek Belisko <marek.belisko@open-nandra.com>
>> > http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/207943
>>
>> No feedback. I would tend to reject these two patches, unless someone
>> still pops up and wants to adopt these patches. They introduce a
>> second build of barebox: one for the standard barebox, and another one
>> for the xloader. In fact, the only real difference seems to be that
>> both builds use a separate config file.
>
> In fact, there is a real problem that these patches from Marek are
> trying to solve. Contrary to U-Boot with which a single build produces
> both the first stage bootloader (SPL) and the second stage bootloader
> (which is compatible with how Buildroot builds U-Boot), Barebox needs
> two completely separate builds in this case. This means that currently,
> Buildroot is unable, for some platforms, to generate both the first
> stage and the second stage Barebox bootloaders.
>
> Unfortunately, I don't really see a very clean solution to this
> problem.

One way to do this is two create two separate packages using the same
sources: one package that builds the standard barebox, the other one
to build the xloader. This is comparable to how we have u-boot and
u-boot-tools, I'd say: two packages using the 'same' sources, to build
two separate things.

This is certainly one of the easier solutions.
To avoid duplicating the .mk file too much, we could do something
similar to what you did for gcc: one common .mk file, and a
subdirectory for each actual package.

What do you think of that?

To avoid us forgetting this patch, then, I'll delegate it to me.

Thanks,
Thomas

* [Buildroot] Patchwork oldest patches cleanup #5 (deadline January 19)
@ 2014-02-04  9:34       ` Thomas De Schampheleire
From: Thomas De Schampheleire @ 2014-02-04  9:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

On Mon, Feb 3, 2014 at 10:43 AM, Thomas De Schampheleire
<patrickdepinguin@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Thomas,
>
> Sorry for the late reply.
>
> On Tue, Jan 28, 2014 at 8:56 PM, Thomas Petazzoni
> <thomas.petazzoni@free-electrons.com> wrote:
>> Dear Thomas De Schampheleire,

>>> No feedback. I would tend to reject these two patches, unless someone
>>> still pops up and wants to adopt these patches. They introduce a
>>> second build of barebox: one for the standard barebox, and another one
>>> for the xloader. In fact, the only real difference seems to be that
>>> both builds use a separate config file.
>>
>> In fact, there is a real problem that these patches from Marek are
>> trying to solve. Contrary to U-Boot with which a single build produces
>> both the first stage bootloader (SPL) and the second stage bootloader
>> (which is compatible with how Buildroot builds U-Boot), Barebox needs
>> two completely separate builds in this case. This means that currently,
>> Buildroot is unable, for some platforms, to generate both the first
>> stage and the second stage Barebox bootloaders.
>>
>> Unfortunately, I don't really see a very clean solution to this
>> problem.
>>

> One way to do this is two create two separate packages using the same
> sources: one package that builds the standard barebox, the other one
> to build the xloader. This is comparable to how we have u-boot and
> u-boot-tools, I'd say: two packages using the 'same' sources, to build
> two separate things.
>
> This is certainly one of the easier solutions.
> To avoid duplicating the .mk file too much, we could do something
> similar to what you did for gcc: one common .mk file, and a
> subdirectory for each actual package.

Just a quick follow-up: ThomasP and I prototyped this idea, and added
it as a todo item:
http://elinux.org/Buildroot#Packages

Feel free to help and implement this, and send a patch!

Thanks,
Thomas