* Using block device instead of character device for virtio-serial
@ 2014-02-06  6:52 Jobin Raju George
From: Jobin Raju George @ 2014-02-06  6:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kvm

I am trying to establish a communication mechanism between the guest
and its host using virtio-serial. For this I am using the following to
boot the VM:

qemu-system-x86_64 -m 1024 \
-name ubuntu_vm \
-hda ubuntu \
-device virtio-serial \
-chardev socket,path=/tmp/virt_socket,server,nowait,id=virt_socket \
-device virtconsole,name=v_soc,chardev=virt_socket,name=ubuntu_vm_soc

This creates a character device on the guest machine and a UNIX socket
on the host machine.

1) Is there a way I can create sockets on the host as well as the guest?
2) Is there a way I can create a block device for communication?

I required a block device since the data that is to be transferred is
huge and the frequency of the data transfer is quite high.

Thanks in advance!

--

Thanks and regards,
Jobin Raju George