* Re: linux-next
       [not found] <5303C695.4030403@converseincode.com>
@ 2014-02-19  0:17 ` Stephen Rothwell
From: Stephen Rothwell @ 2014-02-19  0:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Behan Webster; +Cc: Michal Marek, linux-kbuild, Sam Ravnborg

On Tue, 18 Feb 2014 12:46:13 -0800 Behan Webster <behanw@converseincode.com> wrote:

> I'm assuming this is the right way to ask about being added to
> linux-next. If it isn't please point me in the right direction.

Correct, but usually you would cc any interested parties so that I can
get some feel for when this code might be merged into Linus' tree.

> The LLVMLinux project would like to participate in the linux-next tree
> if possible. We have a branch in our kernel git tree now into which we
> have put some of our patches. At the moment, the patches in next are
> some of the most core changes which enable clang in Kbuild, but don't
> get in the way of the use of gcc.We'll put more patches in the branch as
> our other changes are accepted. We'd like more visibility of some of the
> changes we'd like in order to enable clang, and a way to help make sure
> that we aren't breaking anything in other people's work.
>
> http://git.linuxfoundation.org/llvmlinux/kernel.git (for-next branch)

Normally you would cite the git:// URL ..

> Otherwise we're publishing all of our patches in the master branch of
> this git tree.  Currently we're working on enabling clang support for
> x86, arm, and arm64.
>
> The LLVMLinux project is working on changes to the LLVM/clang toolchain
> as well as to the linux kernel code in order to be able to compile the
> kernel with clang.

I have no objection to this, but would like to see more of these patches
reviewed by (among others) the kbuild guys (cc'd).  I also could not find
some of these patches published on lkml (where I would expect to see
them).  And the top patch has a very uninformative commit message :-(

--
Cheers,
Stephen Rothwell                    sfr@canb.auug.org.au

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 836 bytes --]

* Re: linux-next
@ 2014-02-19  2:17   ` Behan Webster
From: Behan Webster @ 2014-02-19  2:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Rothwell
  Cc: Michal Marek, linux-kbuild, Sam Ravnborg, Jan-Simon Möller

On 02/18/14 16:17, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, 18 Feb 2014 12:46:13 -0800 Behan Webster <behanw@converseincode.com> wrote:
>> I'm assuming this is the right way to ask about being added to
>> linux-next. If it isn't please point me in the right direction.
> Correct, but usually you would cc any interested parties so that I can
> get some feel for when this code might be merged into Linus' tree.
Understood.

Mostly gathering up what is necessary at this point.

We are indeed working on sending patches to the appropriate people.

>> The LLVMLinux project would like to participate in the linux-next tree
>> if possible. We have a branch in our kernel git tree now into which we
>> have put some of our patches. At the moment, the patches in next are
>> some of the most core changes which enable clang in Kbuild, but don't
>> get in the way of the use of gcc.We'll put more patches in the branch as
>> our other changes are accepted. We'd like more visibility of some of the
>> changes we'd like in order to enable clang, and a way to help make sure
>> that we aren't breaking anything in other people's work.
>>
>> http://git.linuxfoundation.org/llvmlinux/kernel.git (for-next branch)
> Normally you would cite the git:// URL ..
Doh. Yes. That would make sense too. A simple protocol change to the URL
is all it takes. Both are available.

git://git.linuxfoundation.org/llvmlinux/kernel.git

>> Otherwise we're publishing all of our patches in the master branch of
>> this git tree.  Currently we're working on enabling clang support for
>> x86, arm, and arm64.
>>
>> The LLVMLinux project is working on changes to the LLVM/clang toolchain
>> as well as to the linux kernel code in order to be able to compile the
>> kernel with clang.
> I have no objection to this, but would like to see more of these patches
> reviewed by (among others) the kbuild guys (cc'd).  I also could not find
> some of these patches published on lkml (where I would expect to see
> them).  And the top patch has a very uninformative commit message :-(
Of course. That is the intention. I'll review all the commit messages as
well.

Thanks for the info.

Behan

--
Behan Webster
behanw@converseincode.com

* Re: linux-next
@ 2014-02-19  6:07     ` Sam Ravnborg
From: Sam Ravnborg @ 2014-02-19  6:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Behan Webster
  Cc: Stephen Rothwell, Michal Marek, linux-kbuild, Jan-Simon Möller

> >>The LLVMLinux project is working on changes to the LLVM/clang toolchain
> >>as well as to the linux kernel code in order to be able to compile the
> >>kernel with clang.
> >I have no objection to this, but would like to see more of these patches
> >reviewed by (among others) the kbuild guys (cc'd).  I also could not find
> >some of these patches published on lkml (where I would expect to see
> >them).  And the top patch has a very uninformative commit message :-(
> Of course. That is the intention. I'll review all the commit
> messages as well.

Please send the patches as least to linux-kbuild for review.
I almost never go hunting for patches in a git repo for review,
and this is the same for others.

	Sam

* Re: linux-next
@ 2014-02-19  6:12       ` Behan Webster
From: Behan Webster @ 2014-02-19  6:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sam Ravnborg
  Cc: Stephen Rothwell, Michal Marek, linux-kbuild, Jan-Simon Möller

On 02/18/14 22:07, Sam Ravnborg wrote:
>>> I have no objection to this, but would like to see more of these patches
>>> reviewed by (among others) the kbuild guys (cc'd).  I also could not find
>>> some of these patches published on lkml (where I would expect to see
>>> them).  And the top patch has a very uninformative commit message :-(
>> Of course. That is the intention. I'll review all the commit
>> messages as well.
> Please send the patches as least to linux-kbuild for review.
> I almost never go hunting for patches in a git repo for review,
> and this is the same for others.
Yes. The plan is to send them to the list. Just haven't got to it yet.
Sorry for the confusion.

Like I said, at this point I was just asking about linux-next inclusion,
and how that all worked.

Behan

--
Behan Webster
behanw@converseincode.com

* Re: linux-next
@ 2014-02-19  6:22         ` Stephen Rothwell
From: Stephen Rothwell @ 2014-02-19  6:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Behan Webster
  Cc: Sam Ravnborg, Michal Marek, linux-kbuild, Jan-Simon Möller

On Tue, 18 Feb 2014 22:12:05 -0800 Behan Webster <behanw@converseincode.com> wrote:

> Yes. The plan is to send them to the list. Just haven't got to it yet.
> Sorry for the confusion.
>
> Like I said, at this point I was just asking about linux-next inclusion,
> and how that all worked.

OK, I should have said that linux-next is for patches that have passed
review and unit testing and are essentially ready to go to Linus (or your
upstream tree).

--

@ 2014-02-19 18:06           ` Behan Webster
From: Behan Webster @ 2014-02-19 18:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Rothwell
  Cc: Sam Ravnborg, Michal Marek, linux-kbuild, Jan-Simon Möller

On 02/18/14 22:22, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, 18 Feb 2014 22:12:05 -0800 Behan Webster <behanw@converseincode.com> wrote:
>> Yes. The plan is to send them to the list. Just haven't got to it yet.
>> Sorry for the confusion.
>>
>> Like I said, at this point I was just asking about linux-next inclusion,
>> and how that all worked.
> OK, I should have said that linux-next is for patches that have passed
> review and unit testing and are essentially ready to go to Linus (or your
> upstream tree).
Then we're down to just the thinkpad ACPI nested functions patch which
fits those criteria.

I will remove the other patches (since they haven't been reviewed by the
appropriate kernel community yet), and we will only add patches to that
branch that satisfy those rules.

Thanks,

Behan

--