* [U-Boot] u-boot.dtb vs. dts/dt.dtb output filename, also O= vs BUILD_DIR=
@ 2014-02-24 17:44 Stephen Warren
From: Stephen Warren @ 2014-02-24 17:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Masahiro,

Prior the to kbuild conversion, U-Boot used to produce file u-boot.dtb
in the root of the object tree. Now it doesn't, but I think puts the
same file in dts/dt.dtb instead. Was this a deliberate change?

We have some flashing utilities that build U-Boot, then copy this result
file. This utility no longer works because the file it's looking for no
longer exists. I'd rather fix the U-Boot build process so its output
filenames don't change, than fix the utility to look for a variety of
different output filenames. Are you OK with a patch reverting the output
filename change?

Related, I also found that pre-Kbuild, I could "make BUILD_DIR=...", but
now I have to "make O=...". That's also an external change in behaviour.
Was that intentional?

* [U-Boot] u-boot.dtb vs. dts/dt.dtb output filename, also O= vs BUILD_DIR=
@ 2014-02-24 19:58 ` Tom Rini
From: Tom Rini @ 2014-02-24 19:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

On Mon, Feb 24, 2014 at 10:44:04AM -0700, Stephen Warren wrote:

> Masahiro,
>
> Prior the to kbuild conversion, U-Boot used to produce file u-boot.dtb
> in the root of the object tree. Now it doesn't, but I think puts the
> same file in dts/dt.dtb instead. Was this a deliberate change?

Not exactly, no.  There's a patch to restore this, which depends on the
15 part follow-up series.  I'll be re-reviewing that shortly (got
another batch of changes atm) and making sure really everyone is OK
there, and pulling it in along with some other stuff.  Temporary glitch,
just don't support v2014.04-rc1 (-rc2 shall be fixed) in the external
tools.  Thanks/sorry!

--
Tom
* [U-Boot] u-boot.dtb vs. dts/dt.dtb output filename, also O= vs BUILD_DIR=
@ 2014-02-25  0:38 ` Masahiro Yamada
From: Masahiro Yamada @ 2014-02-25  0:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Hello Stephen,

> Prior the to kbuild conversion, U-Boot used to produce file u-boot.dtb
> in the root of the object tree. Now it doesn't, but I think puts the
> same file in dts/dt.dtb instead. Was this a deliberate change?

The patch is already on Patchwork and I think it should be applied soon.
Sorry for the inconvenience.

> We have some flashing utilities that build U-Boot, then copy this result
> file. This utility no longer works because the file it's looking for no
> longer exists. I'd rather fix the U-Boot build process so its output
> filenames don't change, than fix the utility to look for a variety of
> different output filenames. Are you OK with a patch reverting the output
> filename change?
>
> Related, I also found that pre-Kbuild, I could "make BUILD_DIR=...", but
> now I have to "make O=...". That's also an external change in behaviour.
> Was that intentional?

"make O=..." are always supported before and after Kbuild.
(I guess many peaple use it for less typing.)

And yes, "BUILD_DIR" was replaced with "KBUILD_OUTPUT"
when I impored many build scripts from Linux Kernel.

All overridable variables  in Kbuild are prefixed with "KBUILD_",
so I am following this rule.
I hesitate to rename only KBUILD_OUTPUT  inconsistently.

Best Regards
Masahiro Yamada

* [U-Boot] u-boot.dtb vs. dts/dt.dtb output filename, also O= vs BUILD_DIR=
@ 2014-02-25 18:19   ` Stephen Warren
From: Stephen Warren @ 2014-02-25 18:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

On 02/24/2014 05:38 PM, Masahiro Yamada wrote:
>> Prior the to kbuild conversion...
>> Related, I also found that pre-Kbuild, I could "make BUILD_DIR=...", but
>> now I have to "make O=...". That's also an external change in behaviour.
>> Was that intentional?
>
> "make O=..." are always supported before and after Kbuild.
> (I guess many peaple use it for less typing.)

OK, O= works fine; I'll switch our tool to that.