* [GIT PULL v2] timers updates for 3.15
@ 2014-03-12 16:36 Frederic Weisbecker
From: Frederic Weisbecker @ 2014-03-12 16:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ingo Molnar, Thomas Gleixner
  Cc: LKML, Frederic Weisbecker, Archs, Marcelo Tosatti,
	Peter Zijlstra, Rik van Riel, Huiqingding

Ingo, Thomas,

Please pull the timers/cputime-fix-steal-v3 branch that can be found at:

git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/frederic/linux-dynticks.git
	timers/cputime-fix-steal-v3

Only the last patch changed to address Peterz concern on arch Kbuild
layout. This got sorted out by running the script from b119fa61d440f
to alpabetically sort the entries.

---
The main purpose of this set is to fix a bug on full dynticks configs
where steal time accounting appears to be zero in /proc/stat even
after a few seconds of competing guests running busy loops in a same
host CPU. It's not a regression though as it was there since the
beginning with full dynticks.

So patch [4/6] ("cputime: Fix jiffies based cputime assumption on
steal accounting") is the most important patch of the series. The rest
is mostly preparatory work to fix the bug plus various cleanups.

Thanks,
	Frederic
---

Frederic Weisbecker (6):
      cputime: Fix nsecs_to_cputime() return type cast
      cputime: Default implementation of nsecs -> cputime conversion
      cputime: Bring cputime -> nsecs conversion
      cputime: Fix jiffies based cputime assumption on steal accounting
      sched: Remove needless round trip nsecs <-> tick conversion of steal time
      arch: Remove stub cputime.h headers

 arch/alpha/include/asm/Kbuild         |  7 ++++---
 arch/alpha/include/asm/cputime.h      |  6 ------
 arch/cris/include/asm/Kbuild          |  3 ++-
 arch/cris/include/asm/cputime.h       |  6 ------
 arch/frv/include/asm/Kbuild           |  5 +++--
 arch/frv/include/asm/cputime.h        |  6 ------
 arch/m32r/include/asm/Kbuild          |  5 +++--
 arch/m32r/include/asm/cputime.h       |  6 ------
 arch/microblaze/include/asm/Kbuild    |  5 +++--
 arch/microblaze/include/asm/cputime.h |  1 -
 arch/mn10300/include/asm/Kbuild       |  3 ++-
 arch/mn10300/include/asm/cputime.h    |  1 -
 arch/score/include/asm/Kbuild         |  4 ++--
 arch/score/include/asm/cputime.h      |  6 ------
 arch/x86/include/asm/Kbuild           |  1 +
 arch/x86/include/asm/cputime.h        |  1 -
 drivers/cpufreq/cpufreq_stats.c       |  2 +-
 drivers/s390/cio/cio.c                |  2 +-
 fs/proc/stat.c                        |  2 +-
 fs/proc/uptime.c                      |  2 +-
 include/asm-generic/cputime_jiffies.h |  4 +++-
 include/asm-generic/cputime_nsecs.h   |  5 ++++-
 include/linux/cputime.h               | 16 ++++++++++++++++
 include/linux/kernel_stat.h           |  2 +-
 include/linux/sched.h                 |  2 +-
 kernel/sched/core.c                   |  6 ------
 kernel/sched/cputime.c                | 16 +++++++++++-----
 kernel/sched/sched.h                  | 10 ----------

* Re: [GIT PULL v2] timers updates for 3.15
@ 2014-03-13 11:05 ` Ingo Molnar
From: Ingo Molnar @ 2014-03-13 11:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Frederic Weisbecker
  Cc: Thomas Gleixner, LKML, Archs, Marcelo Tosatti, Peter Zijlstra,
	Rik van Riel, Huiqingding

* Frederic Weisbecker <fweisbec@gmail.com> wrote:

> Ingo, Thomas,
>
> Please pull the timers/cputime-fix-steal-v3 branch that can be found at:
>
> git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/frederic/linux-dynticks.git
> 	timers/cputime-fix-steal-v3
>
> Only the last patch changed to address Peterz concern on arch Kbuild
> layout. This got sorted out by running the script from b119fa61d440f
> to alpabetically sort the entries.
>
> ---
> The main purpose of this set is to fix a bug on full dynticks configs
> where steal time accounting appears to be zero in /proc/stat even
> after a few seconds of competing guests running busy loops in a same
> host CPU. It's not a regression though as it was there since the
> beginning with full dynticks.
>
> So patch [4/6] ("cputime: Fix jiffies based cputime assumption on
> steal accounting") is the most important patch of the series. The rest
> is mostly preparatory work to fix the bug plus various cleanups.
>
> Thanks,
> 	Frederic
> ---
>
> Frederic Weisbecker (6):
>       cputime: Fix nsecs_to_cputime() return type cast
>       cputime: Default implementation of nsecs -> cputime conversion
>       cputime: Bring cputime -> nsecs conversion
>       cputime: Fix jiffies based cputime assumption on steal accounting
>       sched: Remove needless round trip nsecs <-> tick conversion of steal time
>       arch: Remove stub cputime.h headers
>

>  arch/alpha/include/asm/Kbuild         |  7 ++++---
>  arch/alpha/include/asm/cputime.h      |  6 ------
>  arch/cris/include/asm/Kbuild          |  3 ++-
>  arch/cris/include/asm/cputime.h       |  6 ------
>  arch/frv/include/asm/Kbuild           |  5 +++--
>  arch/frv/include/asm/cputime.h        |  6 ------
>  arch/m32r/include/asm/Kbuild          |  5 +++--
>  arch/m32r/include/asm/cputime.h       |  6 ------
>  arch/microblaze/include/asm/Kbuild    |  5 +++--
>  arch/microblaze/include/asm/cputime.h |  1 -
>  arch/mn10300/include/asm/Kbuild       |  3 ++-
>  arch/mn10300/include/asm/cputime.h    |  1 -
>  arch/score/include/asm/Kbuild         |  4 ++--
>  arch/score/include/asm/cputime.h      |  6 ------
>  arch/x86/include/asm/Kbuild           |  1 +
>  arch/x86/include/asm/cputime.h        |  1 -

Does this tree also address the heavy conflicts with tip:core/locking?
If not then we should probably carry this in a separate branch that
merges tip:core/locking and tip:timers/core.

Thanks,

	Ingo

* Re: [GIT PULL v2] timers updates for 3.15
@ 2014-03-13 15:33   ` Frederic Weisbecker
From: Frederic Weisbecker @ 2014-03-13 15:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ingo Molnar
  Cc: Thomas Gleixner, LKML, Archs, Marcelo Tosatti, Peter Zijlstra,
	Rik van Riel, Huiqingding

On Thu, Mar 13, 2014 at 12:05:10PM +0100, Ingo Molnar wrote:

> * Frederic Weisbecker <fweisbec@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Ingo, Thomas,
> >
> > Please pull the timers/cputime-fix-steal-v3 branch that can be found at:
> >
> > git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/frederic/linux-dynticks.git
> > 	timers/cputime-fix-steal-v3
> >
> > Only the last patch changed to address Peterz concern on arch Kbuild
> > layout. This got sorted out by running the script from b119fa61d440f
> > to alpabetically sort the entries.
> >
> > ---
> > The main purpose of this set is to fix a bug on full dynticks configs
> > where steal time accounting appears to be zero in /proc/stat even
> > after a few seconds of competing guests running busy loops in a same
> > host CPU. It's not a regression though as it was there since the
> > beginning with full dynticks.
> >
> > So patch [4/6] ("cputime: Fix jiffies based cputime assumption on
> > steal accounting") is the most important patch of the series. The rest
> > is mostly preparatory work to fix the bug plus various cleanups.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > 	Frederic
> > ---
> >
> > Frederic Weisbecker (6):
> >       cputime: Fix nsecs_to_cputime() return type cast
> >       cputime: Default implementation of nsecs -> cputime conversion
> >       cputime: Bring cputime -> nsecs conversion
> >       cputime: Fix jiffies based cputime assumption on steal accounting
> >       sched: Remove needless round trip nsecs <-> tick conversion of steal time
> >       arch: Remove stub cputime.h headers
> >

> >  arch/alpha/include/asm/Kbuild         |  7 ++++---
> >  arch/alpha/include/asm/cputime.h      |  6 ------
> >  arch/cris/include/asm/Kbuild          |  3 ++-
> >  arch/cris/include/asm/cputime.h       |  6 ------
> >  arch/frv/include/asm/Kbuild           |  5 +++--
> >  arch/frv/include/asm/cputime.h        |  6 ------
> >  arch/m32r/include/asm/Kbuild          |  5 +++--
> >  arch/m32r/include/asm/cputime.h       |  6 ------
> >  arch/microblaze/include/asm/Kbuild    |  5 +++--
> >  arch/microblaze/include/asm/cputime.h |  1 -
> >  arch/mn10300/include/asm/Kbuild       |  3 ++-
> >  arch/mn10300/include/asm/cputime.h    |  1 -
> >  arch/score/include/asm/Kbuild         |  4 ++--
> >  arch/score/include/asm/cputime.h      |  6 ------
> >  arch/x86/include/asm/Kbuild           |  1 +
> >  arch/x86/include/asm/cputime.h        |  1 -
>
> Does this tree also address the heavy conflicts with tip:core/locking?

Ah I didn't hear about that. Thomas told me there was a conflict issue but
he couldn't tell me more about it.

> If not then we should probably carry this in a separate branch that
> merges tip:core/locking and tip:timers/core.

So I propose you something even more simple. The choice of tip:timers/core
as a base was actually just about topic. But there is no dependency on it.
(And actually sched/core would have been a better choice for a base if any).

So in order to fix the conflict and minimize the dependencies, I just
rebased the patches on top of tip:core/locking only. No merge on top of that.
It seems to work pretty well.

The pullable result is in sched/cputime on my tree. Let me know if that's ok
for you.

Thanks.

* Re: [GIT PULL v2] timers updates for 3.15
@ 2014-03-14  8:36     ` Ingo Molnar
From: Ingo Molnar @ 2014-03-14  8:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Frederic Weisbecker
  Cc: Thomas Gleixner, LKML, Archs, Marcelo Tosatti, Peter Zijlstra,
	Rik van Riel, Huiqingding

* Frederic Weisbecker <fweisbec@gmail.com> wrote:

> So I propose you something even more simple. The choice of
> tip:timers/core as a base was actually just about topic. But there
> is no dependency on it. (And actually sched/core would have been a
> better choice for a base if any).
>
> So in order to fix the conflict and minimize the dependencies, I
> just rebased the patches on top of tip:core/locking only. No merge
> on top of that. It seems to work pretty well.
>
> The pullable result is in sched/cputime on my tree. Let me know if
> that's ok for you.

Yeah, that sounds excellent. Thomas, you might want to keep this in a
sparate branch from timers/core though. We still have timers/nohz for
example.

Thanks,

	Ingo