* [Buildroot] http:// and git:// repositories not in sync
@ 2014-03-29 22:52 Yann E. MORIN
From: Yann E. MORIN @ 2014-03-29 22:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hello!

While looking at the dtv-scan-tables repository, we noticed that we did
get a different set of commits with the http:// or the git:// schemes to
access the repository:

    $ git clone git://linuxtv.org/dtv-scan-tables.git dtv.git
    [...]
    $ cd dtv.git
    $ git log --oneline |head
    cfc2975 Updated scan table for au-Sydney_North_Shore
    29b0b57 UK Update for COM 7, BBC B, and Local Muxes
    177b522 DTV scantables for FI
    7809ca1 Update es-Alfabia
    69a1ac5 Initial tuning data for ca-AB-Calgary
    1850cf8 Initial scan table for au-Melbourne-Selby
    52a7b0a update scan file for ro-DigiTV
    75f3b39 Initial Tuning Data for Uganda
    7d31336 Never include ~ files
    1d6f9b5 Initial scan files for PT

    $ git clone http://linuxtv.org/git/dtv-scan-tables.git dtv.http
    [...]
    $ cd dtv.http
    $ git log --oneline |head
    7809ca1 Update es-Alfabia
    69a1ac5 Initial tuning data for ca-AB-Calgary
    1850cf8 Initial scan table for au-Melbourne-Selby
    52a7b0a update scan file for ro-DigiTV
    75f3b39 Initial Tuning Data for Uganda
    7d31336 Never include ~ files
    1d6f9b5 Initial scan files for PT
    f61d5ec Merge pull request #6 from silid/master
    6213a2f Table /usr/share/dvb/dvb-t/cz-All outdated
    832df4f Removal of excess white space

As you can see, the http:// scheme gets us three fewer changesets than
the git:// scheme.

Regards,
Yann E. MORIN.

* Re: http:// and git:// repositories not in sync
@ 2014-04-03 13:17 ` Mauro Carvalho Chehab
From: Mauro Carvalho Chehab @ 2014-04-03 13:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yann E. MORIN; +Cc: webmaster, Thomas Petazzoni, Buildroot ML, LMML

Hi Yann,

Em Sat, 29 Mar 2014 23:52:37 +0100
"Yann E. MORIN" <yann.morin.1998@free.fr> escreveu:

> Hello!
>
> While looking at the dtv-scan-tables repository, we noticed that we did
> get a different set of commits with the http:// or the git:// schemes to
> access the repository:
>
>     $ git clone git://linuxtv.org/dtv-scan-tables.git dtv.git
>     [...]
>     $ cd dtv.git
>     $ git log --oneline |head
>     cfc2975 Updated scan table for au-Sydney_North_Shore
>     29b0b57 UK Update for COM 7, BBC B, and Local Muxes
>     177b522 DTV scantables for FI
>     7809ca1 Update es-Alfabia
>     69a1ac5 Initial tuning data for ca-AB-Calgary
>     1850cf8 Initial scan table for au-Melbourne-Selby
>     52a7b0a update scan file for ro-DigiTV
>     75f3b39 Initial Tuning Data for Uganda
>     7d31336 Never include ~ files
>     1d6f9b5 Initial scan files for PT
>
>     $ git clone http://linuxtv.org/git/dtv-scan-tables.git dtv.http
>     [...]
>     $ cd dtv.http
>     $ git log --oneline |head
>     7809ca1 Update es-Alfabia
>     69a1ac5 Initial tuning data for ca-AB-Calgary
>     1850cf8 Initial scan table for au-Melbourne-Selby
>     52a7b0a update scan file for ro-DigiTV
>     75f3b39 Initial Tuning Data for Uganda
>     7d31336 Never include ~ files
>     1d6f9b5 Initial scan files for PT
>     f61d5ec Merge pull request #6 from silid/master
>     6213a2f Table /usr/share/dvb/dvb-t/cz-All outdated
>     832df4f Removal of excess white space
>
> As you can see, the http:// scheme gets us three fewer changesets than
> the git:// scheme.

We changed from gitweb to cgit. One of the advantages of cgit is that
it accepts cloning via html, and I think it doesn't require to call
git update-server-info for it to work.

So, I'm hoping that this change will fix this issue once for all.

The URL for http changed, due to that. The old URL will still be supported
for a while, in order to avoid breaking for the ones that were using the
legacy URL, but, as pointed, it depends on having a recent
git update-server-info for it to work properly.

Regards,
Mauro

Mauro