* [lm-sensors] Asus M5A88-M motherboard, "no pwm-capable sensor modules"
@ 2014-04-14  3:17 Bernd Bausch
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Bernd Bausch @ 2014-04-14  3:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lm-sensors

I would like to run my PC as silently under Linux as I can under
Windows. Unfortunately I am pretty ignorant about hardware monitoring
and control.

Asus provides a fan control utility that allows me to throttle the CPU
fan (not the case fan unfortunately), but I have been unable to do the
same using lm_sensors. pwmconfig reports that there are no pwm-capable
sensors.

So I wonder, does pwmconfig tell the truth? If yes, how can the CPU
fan be controlled (it obviously can)? What are my options apart from
leaving things as they are?

This is on Centos 6.5 with an unchanged kernel (2.6.32-431, 64 bit). I
use the standard lm_sensors packages but the newest version of
sensors-detect. I also tried the newest version of pwmconfig.
sensors-detect and pwmconfig output below.

Thanks for listening, and more thanks for replying :)

Bernd

sudo /tmp/sensors-detect
Stopping lm_sensors:                                       [  OK  ]
# sensors-detect revision 6243 (2014-03-20 11:23:35 +0100)
# Board: ASUSTeK Computer INC. M5A88-M

This program will help you determine which kernel modules you need
to load to use lm_sensors most effectively. It is generally safe
and recommended to accept the default answers to all questions,
unless you know what you're doing.

Some south bridges, CPUs or memory controllers contain embedded sensors.
Do you want to scan for them? This is totally safe. (YES/no):
Silicon Integrated Systems SIS5595...                       No
VIA VT82C686 Integrated Sensors...                          No
VIA VT8231 Integrated Sensors...                            No
AMD K8 thermal sensors...                                   No
AMD Family 10h thermal sensors...                           No
AMD Family 11h thermal sensors...                           No
AMD Family 12h and 14h thermal sensors...                   No
AMD Family 15h thermal sensors...                           Success!
    (driver `k10temp')
AMD Family 16h thermal sensors...                           No
AMD Family 15h power sensors...                             Success!
    (driver `fam15h_power')
AMD Family 16h power sensors...                             No
Intel digital thermal sensor...                             No
Intel AMB FB-DIMM thermal sensor...                         No
VIA C7 thermal sensor...                                    No
VIA Nano thermal sensor...                                  No

Some Super I/O chips contain embedded sensors. We have to write to
standard I/O ports to probe them. This is usually safe.
Do you want to scan for Super I/O sensors? (YES/no):
Probing for Super-I/O at 0x2e/0x2f
Trying family `National Semiconductor/ITE'...               No
Trying family `SMSC'...                                     No
Trying family `VIA/Winbond/Nuvoton/Fintek'...               No
Trying family `ITE'...                                      Yes
Found `ITE IT8721F/IT8758E Super IO Sensors'                Success!
    (address 0x290, driver `it87')
Probing for Super-I/O at 0x4e/0x4f
Trying family `National Semiconductor/ITE'...               No
Trying family `SMSC'...                                     No
Trying family `VIA/Winbond/Nuvoton/Fintek'...               No
Trying family `ITE'...                                      No

Some systems (mainly servers) implement IPMI, a set of common interfaces
through which system health data may be retrieved, amongst other things.
We first try to get the information from SMBIOS. If we don't find it
there, we have to read from arbitrary I/O ports to probe for such
interfaces. This is normally safe. Do you want to scan for IPMI
interfaces? (YES/no):
Probing for `IPMI BMC KCS' at 0xca0...                      No
Probing for `IPMI BMC SMIC' at 0xca8...                     No

Some hardware monitoring chips are accessible through the ISA I/O ports.
We have to write to arbitrary I/O ports to probe them. This is usually
safe though. Yes, you do have ISA I/O ports even if you do not have any
ISA slots! Do you want to scan the ISA I/O ports? (yes/NO): yes
Probing for `National Semiconductor LM78' at 0x290...       No
Probing for `National Semiconductor LM79' at 0x290...       No
Probing for `Winbond W83781D' at 0x290...                   No
Probing for `Winbond W83782D' at 0x290...                   No

Lastly, we can probe the I2C/SMBus adapters for connected hardware
monitoring devices. This is the most risky part, and while it works
reasonably well on most systems, it has been reported to cause trouble
on some systems.
Do you want to probe the I2C/SMBus adapters now? (YES/no):
Using driver `i2c-piix4' for device 0000:00:14.0: ATI Technologies Inc
SB600/SB700/SB800 SMBus
Module i2c-dev loaded successfully.

Next adapter: Radeon i2c bit bus 0x90 (i2c-0)
Do you want to scan it? (yes/NO/selectively): yes

Next adapter: Radeon i2c bit bus 0x91 (i2c-1)
Do you want to scan it? (yes/NO/selectively): yes

Next adapter: Radeon i2c bit bus 0x92 (i2c-2)
Do you want to scan it? (yes/NO/selectively): yes
yes

Next adapter: Radeon i2c bit bus 0x93 (i2c-3)
Do you want to scan it? (yes/NO/selectively):
Next adapter: Radeon i2c bit bus 0x14 (i2c-4)
Do you want to scan it? (yes/NO/selectively): yes

Now follows a summary of the probes I have just done.
Just press ENTER to continue:

Driver `it87':
  * ISA bus, address 0x290
    Chip `ITE IT8721F/IT8758E Super IO Sensors' (confidence: 9)

Driver `fam15h_power' (autoloaded):
  * Chip `AMD Family 15h power sensors' (confidence: 9)

Driver `k10temp' (autoloaded):
  * Chip `AMD Family 15h thermal sensors' (confidence: 9)

Do you want to overwrite /etc/sysconfig/lm_sensors? (YES/no):
Starting lm_sensors: loading module it87                   [  OK  ]
Unloading i2c-dev... OK

[bbausch@athlon64 LNXSYSTM:00]$ sudo pwmconfig
# pwmconfig revision 5630 (2009-01-29)
This program will search your sensors for pulse width modulation (pwm)
controls, and test each one to see if it controls a fan on
your motherboard. Note that many motherboards do not have pwm
circuitry installed, even if your sensor chip supports pwm.

We will attempt to briefly stop each fan using the pwm controls.
The program will attempt to restore each fan to full speed
after testing. However, it is ** very important ** that you
physically verify that the fans have been to full speed
after the program has completed.

/usr/sbin/pwmconfig: There are no pwm-capable sensor modules installed
[bbausch@athlon64 LNXSYSTM:00]$
/*
 * downloading and compiling lm_sensors 3.3.5
 */
$ sudo prog/pwm/pwmconfig
[sudo] password for bbausch:
# pwmconfig revision 6166 (2013-05-01)
This program will search your sensors for pulse width modulation (pwm)
controls, and test each one to see if it controls a fan on
your motherboard. Note that many motherboards do not have pwm
circuitry installed, even if your sensor chip supports pwm.

We will attempt to briefly stop each fan using the pwm controls.
The program will attempt to restore each fan to full speed
after testing. However, it is ** very important ** that you
physically verify that the fans have been to full speed
after the program has completed.

prog/pwm/pwmconfig: There are no pwm-capable sensor modules installed

* Re: [lm-sensors] Asus M5A88-M motherboard, "no pwm-capable sensor modules"
@ 2014-04-14  7:21 ` Jean Delvare
From: Jean Delvare @ 2014-04-14  7:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lm-sensors

Hi Bernd,

On Mon, 14 Apr 2014 12:17:41 +0900, Bernd Bausch wrote:
> I would like to run my PC as silently under Linux as I can under
> Windows. Unfortunately I am pretty ignorant about hardware monitoring
> and control.
>
> Asus provides a fan control utility that allows me to throttle the CPU
> fan (not the case fan unfortunately), but I have been unable to do the
> same using lm_sensors. pwmconfig reports that there are no pwm-capable
> sensors.
>
> So I wonder, does pwmconfig tell the truth? If yes, how can the CPU
> fan be controlled (it obviously can)? What are my options apart from
> leaving things as they are?

What does "sensors" say? Before you go with fan control, you must
ensure that hardware monitoring itself is properly setup.

> This is on Centos 6.5 with an unchanged kernel (2.6.32-431, 64 bit). I
> use the standard lm_sensors packages but the newest version of
> sensors-detect. I also tried the newest version of pwmconfig.
> sensors-detect and pwmconfig output below.
>
> Thanks for listening, and more thanks for replying :)
>
> Bernd

> sudo /tmp/sensors-detect
> Stopping lm_sensors:                                       [  OK  ]
> # sensors-detect revision 6243 (2014-03-20 11:23:35 +0100)
> # Board: ASUSTeK Computer INC. M5A88-M
> (...)
> Now follows a summary of the probes I have just done.
> Just press ENTER to continue:
>
> Driver `it87':
>   * ISA bus, address 0x290
>     Chip `ITE IT8721F/IT8758E Super IO Sensors' (confidence: 9)

Support for this chip was added in kernel 2.6.37.

> Driver `fam15h_power' (autoloaded):
>   * Chip `AMD Family 15h power sensors' (confidence: 9)
>
> Driver `k10temp' (autoloaded):
>   * Chip `AMD Family 15h thermal sensors' (confidence: 9)

Support was added in kernel 3.0.

I'm afraid your kernel is simply too old for your hardware, unless
Centos backported support for newer hwmon devices.

Actually for Centos you may be lucky and be able to use Phil Perry's
kmods. Check out at:
  http://elrepo.org/tiki/Packages#K

I see kmod-k10temp and kmod-it87, which are what your board needs. Give
it a try. I've added Phil in Cc, hopefully he can drive from here if
things don't work out of the box.

Jean Delvare
SUSE L3 Support

* Re: [lm-sensors] Asus M5A88-M motherboard, "no pwm-capable sensor modules"
@ 2014-04-16  3:44 ` Bernd Bausch
From: Bernd Bausch @ 2014-04-16  3:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lm-sensors

Thanks Jean. Is it OK to continue this conversation out in the open, i.e. on
the mailing list?

Executive summary: you are right about my kernel being too old, and in
addition I have a driver conflict
(http://hansdegoede.livejournal.com/7932.html) that comes up with a 3.x
kernel.
Since I want to stay with Centos and 2.6.32, is there anything I can do?

Details:

My kernel is 2.6.32, not quite the 2.6.37 you mention, but I do have k10temp
and it67 drivers:

/lib/modules/2.6.32-431.el6.x86_64/kernel/drivers/hwmon/it87.ko
/lib/modules/2.6.32-431.el6.x86_64/kernel/drivers/hwmon/k10temp.ko

I downloaded the elrepo version of the two modules. Hard to say how they
differ from my installed version; find modinfo output for it87 further
below.

Also, the sensors output (also below) looks sensible, with the exception of
the 16.8 degrees value, which is less than the ambient temperature. It seems
that monitoring works and it's just fan control that doesn't.

Next, I tested this with a LiveCD that uses a 3.9 kernel (Debian-based
Kanotix, in case you wonder). By default, I am not able to modprobe it87
because the BIOS ACPI code and it87 access the same hardware device (see
http://hansdegoede.livejournal.com/7932.html). After booting with
acpi_enforce_resources=lax, I can insert the it87 module, and now pwmconfig
does detect a controllable fan. So, I could make it to work if I moved to a
newer kernel, but this is not an option for me, as I need to stay with
Centos/Redhat. Is there anything I can do, perhaps trying to port the newest
it87 driver to my kernel (would be a steep learning curve)?

Cheers,

Bernd

========================  sensors output  =======================
$ sensors
k10temp-pci-00c3
Adapter: PCI adapter
temp1:       +16.8°C  (high = +70.0°C, crit = +70.0°C)

fam15h_power-pci-00c4
Adapter: PCI adapter
power1:     117.23 W

atk0110-acpi-0
Adapter: ACPI interface
Vcore Voltage:     +0.95 V  (min =  +0.80 V, max =  +1.60 V)
+3.3V Voltage:     +3.26 V  (min =  +2.97 V, max =  +3.63 V)
+5V Voltage:       +4.96 V  (min =  +4.50 V, max =  +5.50 V)
+12V Voltage:     +12.13 V  (min = +10.20 V, max = +13.80 V)
CPU Fan Speed:    2002 RPM  (min =  600 RPM)
Chassis Fan Speed:1506 RPM  (min =  600 RPM)
CPU Temperature:   +33.0°C  (high = +60.0°C, crit = +95.0°C)
MB Temperature:    +34.0°C  (high = +45.0°C, crit = +75.0°C)

========================  modinfo output  =======================

$ modinfo it87.ko  # this is the one from elrepo
filename:       it87.ko
license:        GPL
author:         Chris Gauthron, Jean Delvare <khali@linux-fr.org>
srcversion:     883CCDF9B8356FBE80D52EE
depends:        hwmon-vid
vermagic:       2.6.32-358.el6.x86_64 SMP mod_unload modversions
parm:           force_id:Override the detected device ID (ushort)
parm:           update_vbat:Update vbat if set else return powerup value
(bool)
parm:           fix_pwm_polarity:Force PWM polarity to active high
(DANGEROUS) (bool)

$ modinfo /lib/modules/2.6.32-431.el6.x86_64/kernel/drivers/hwmon/it87.ko
filename:
/lib/modules/2.6.32-431.el6.x86_64/kernel/drivers/hwmon/it87.ko
license:        GPL
author:         Chris Gauthron, Jean Delvare <khali@linux-fr.org>
srcversion:     839FF779560750484F6FA04
depends:        hwmon-vid
vermagic:       2.6.32-431.el6.x86_64 SMP mod_unload modversions

@ 2014-04-16  8:51 ` Jean Delvare
From: Jean Delvare @ 2014-04-16  8:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lm-sensors

Hi Bernd,

On Wed, 16 Apr 2014 12:44:54 +0900, Bernd Bausch wrote:
> Thanks Jean. Is it OK to continue this conversation out in the open, i.e. on
> the mailing list?

Yes it is! That way everything is archived for the benefit of other
users.

> Executive summary: you are right about my kernel being too old, and in
> addition I have a driver conflict
> (http://hansdegoede.livejournal.com/7932.html) that comes up with a 3.x
> kernel.
> Since I want to stay with Centos and 2.6.32, is there anything I can do?
>
> Details:
>
> My kernel is 2.6.32, not quite the 2.6.37 you mention, but I do have k10temp
> and it67 drivers:
>
> /lib/modules/2.6.32-431.el6.x86_64/kernel/drivers/hwmon/it87.ko
> /lib/modules/2.6.32-431.el6.x86_64/kernel/drivers/hwmon/k10temp.ko

The question isn't if the drivers are present or not, but if they
support your hardware or not. Both drivers are relatively old, but we
add support for new hardware over time, so old versions of the drivers
do not support the most recent hardware.

> I downloaded the elrepo version of the two modules. Hard to say how they
> differ from my installed version; find modinfo output for it87 further
> below.
>
> Also, the sensors output (also below) looks sensible, with the exception of
> the 16.8 degrees value, which is less than the ambient temperature. It seems
> that monitoring works and it's just fan control that doesn't.

See at the bottom of:
https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/tree/Documentation/hwmon/k10temp
for an explanation of the 16.8 degrees.

Unfortunately fan control is not available on your system beyond the
options offered by the BIOS at boot time, see below.

> Next, I tested this with a LiveCD that uses a 3.9 kernel (Debian-based
> Kanotix, in case you wonder). By default, I am not able to modprobe it87
> because the BIOS ACPI code and it87 access the same hardware device (see
> http://hansdegoede.livejournal.com/7932.html). After booting with
> acpi_enforce_resources=lax, I can insert the it87 module, and now pwmconfig
> does detect a controllable fan. So, I could make it to work if I moved to a
> newer kernel, but this is not an option for me, as I need to stay with
> Centos/Redhat. Is there anything I can do, perhaps trying to port the newest
> it87 driver to my kernel (would be a steep learning curve)?

Using the it87 driver on your machine wouldn't be a good idea anyway.
Your BIOS implements a virtual device named ATK0110, which abstracts
the access to the hardware monitoring chip. We have a driver for this,
asus_atk0110, which can only do monitoring and not fan control, mostly
due to a lack of documentation. Forcing native access to the chip (i.e.
acpi_enforce_resources=lax + it87 driver) can cause random problems so
it is not recommended to do that.

So your only safe option at this time is to set the cooling profile of
your choice in the BIOS and let the chip regulate the fan speeds after
that. If you are unhappy with the settings offered by the BIOS, the
only thing you can do is complain to the board vendor.

--
Jean Delvare
SUSE L3 Support