* Which companies contribute to Btrfs?
@ 2014-04-24  1:18 Marc MERLIN
                   ` (5 more replies)
From: Marc MERLIN @ 2014-04-24  1:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-btrfs

Howdy,

I writing slides about btrfs for an upcoming talk (at linuxcon) and I was
trying to gather a list of companies that contribute code to btrfs.

What I came up with (sorted alphabetically)
Couchbase (CouchDB)
Facebook
Fujitsu
Fusion-IO
Oracle
SGI
Suse

Are there other companies I missed?

Thanks,
Marc
Microsoft is to operating systems ....
Home page: http://marc.merlins.org/

* Which companies are using Btrfs in production?
@ 2014-04-24  1:19 ` Marc MERLIN
                     ` (3 more replies)
                   ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: Marc MERLIN @ 2014-04-24  1:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-btrfs

Oh while we're at it, are there companies that can say they are using btrfs
in production?

Marc
Microsoft is to operating systems ....
Home page: http://marc.merlins.org/

* Re: Which companies contribute to Btrfs?
@ 2014-04-24  2:29 ` Eric Sandeen
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Eric Sandeen @ 2014-04-24  2:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marc MERLIN, linux-btrfs

On 4/23/14, 8:18 PM, Marc MERLIN wrote:
> Howdy,
>
> I writing slides about btrfs for an upcoming talk (at linuxcon) and I was
> trying to gather a list of companies that contribute code to btrfs.
>
> What I came up with (sorted alphabetically)
> Couchbase (CouchDB)
> Facebook
> Fujitsu
> Fusion-IO
> Oracle
> SGI
> Suse
>
> Are there other companies I missed?
>
> Thanks,
> Marc

git knows!  (sorry for the bash horribleness, and I'm sure you can collapse i.e. jp.fujitsu.com and cn.fujitsu.com into "Fujitsu" somehow...

[root@host linux-2.6]# git log --format=%ae fs/btrfs/ | awk -F @ '{print $2}' | sort | uniq -c | sort -n
<snip>
     10 diku.dk
     11 linux.intel.com
     12 linux.vnet.ibm.com
     13 linux-m68k.org
     15 infradead.org
     20 suse.de
     24 intel.com
     30 fb.com
     35 googlemail.com
     35 newdream.net
     48 lst.de
     50 gmx.net
     55 21cn.com
     55 jp.fujitsu.com
     60 suse.com
     76 zeniv.linux.org.uk
     93 jan-o-sch.net
    102 giantdisaster.de
    109 suse.cz
    176 linux-foundation.org
    310 fusionio.com
    324 gmail.com
    388 redhat.com
    552 cn.fujitsu.com
   1198 oracle.com

[root@host btrfs-progs]# git log --format=%ae | awk -F @ '{print $2}' | sort | uniq -c | sort -n
<snip>
     10 inwind.it
     10 linux.vnet.ibm.com
     10 suse.de
     13 gentoo.org
     15 21cn.com
     15 jan-o-sch.net
     34 giantdisaster.de
     55 suse.cz
     77 fusionio.com
    104 gmail.com
    171 cn.fujitsu.com
    183 redhat.com
    405 oracle.com

* Re: Which companies contribute to Btrfs?
@ 2014-04-24  2:30 ` Eric Sandeen
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Eric Sandeen @ 2014-04-24  2:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marc MERLIN, linux-btrfs

On 4/23/14, 8:18 PM, Marc MERLIN wrote:
> Howdy,
>
> I writing slides about btrfs for an upcoming talk (at linuxcon) and I was
> trying to gather a list of companies that contribute code to btrfs.

Also...

> What I came up with (sorted alphabetically)
> Couchbase (CouchDB)
> Facebook
> Fujitsu
> Fusion-IO
> Oracle
> SGI
  ^^^  uh, really?

-Eric

@ 2014-04-24  3:45   ` Marc MERLIN
From: Marc MERLIN @ 2014-04-24  3:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Sandeen; +Cc: linux-btrfs

On Wed, Apr 23, 2014 at 09:30:24PM -0500, Eric Sandeen wrote:
> On 4/23/14, 8:18 PM, Marc MERLIN wrote:
> > Howdy,
> >
> > I writing slides about btrfs for an upcoming talk (at linuxcon) and I was
> > trying to gather a list of companies that contribute code to btrfs.
>
> Also...
>
> > What I came up with (sorted alphabetically)
> > Couchbase (CouchDB)
> > Facebook
> > Fujitsu
> > Fusion-IO
> > Oracle
> > SGI
>   ^^^  uh, really?

I may have picked up some changes related to xfs tests.

I can remove that if that was mistake (and thanks for your other list)

@ 2014-04-24  4:32     ` Eric Sandeen
From: Eric Sandeen @ 2014-04-24  4:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marc MERLIN; +Cc: Eric Sandeen, linux-btrfs

On Apr 23, 2014, at 10:45 PM, Marc MERLIN <marc@merlins.org> wrote:

>> On Wed, Apr 23, 2014 at 09:30:24PM -0500, Eric Sandeen wrote:
>>> On 4/23/14, 8:18 PM, Marc MERLIN wrote:
>>> Howdy,
>>>
>>> I writing slides about btrfs for an upcoming talk (at linuxcon) and I was
>>> trying to gather a list of companies that contribute code to btrfs.
>>
>> Also...
>>
>>> What I came up with (sorted alphabetically)
>>> Couchbase (CouchDB)
>>> Facebook
>>> Fujitsu
>>> Fusion-IO
>>> Oracle
>>> SGI
>>  ^^^  uh, really?
>
> I may have picked up some changes related to xfs tests.
>
> I can remove that if that was mistake (and thanks for your other list)

Yeah, sgi isn't working on btrfs.

And you are welcome.  :)

Eric

> Marc
> --
> "A mouse is a device used to point at the xterm you want to type in" - A.S.R.
> Microsoft is to operating systems ....
>                                      .... what McDonalds is to gourmet cooking
> Home page: http://marc.merlins.org/

* Re: Which companies are using Btrfs in production?
@ 2014-04-24  7:13   ` Adam Brenner
                     ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Adam Brenner @ 2014-04-24  7:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marc MERLIN, linux-btrfs

On 04/23/2014 06:19 PM, Marc MERLIN wrote:
> Oh while we're at it, are there companies that can say they are using btrfs
> in production?
>
> Marc

On the Gluster Listsrv a few brave souls have used it on as a
distributive filesystem[1]. Here at UCI's HPC Cluster we *might* use it
on a scratch filesystem ... if we upgrade to a newer kernel....

[1]: http://www.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-users/2014-April/039896.html

--
Adam Brenner <adam@aeb.io>

* Re: Which companies contribute to Btrfs?
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2014-04-24 10:31 ` Filipe David Manana
From: Filipe David Manana @ 2014-04-24 10:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marc MERLIN; +Cc: linux-btrfs

On Thu, Apr 24, 2014 at 2:18 AM, Marc MERLIN <marc@merlins.org> wrote:
> Howdy,
>
> I writing slides about btrfs for an upcoming talk (at linuxcon) and I was
> trying to gather a list of companies that contribute code to btrfs.
>
> What I came up with (sorted alphabetically)
> Couchbase (CouchDB)

Hi Marc,

If you're listing Couchbase because you noticed I'm one of their
employees, then you can remove it from the list (I've never seen any
couchbase mail address or other employees contributing anything to
btrfs).
All my contributions are done during my personal time and by my own
initiative (that's why I only use my personal gmail address for all
messages to this list and patches).

As an aside, CouchDB is an Apache Software Foundation project,
completely unrelated to Couchbase. It's unfortunate the company uses
the term Couch for its name/products too - it confuses a lot of people
-  as one of the ex-founders was the CouchDB creator and it employs
(and employed more in the past) CouchDB contributors (like me). Both
databases are very different at several levels: features, goals,
architecture, implementation, etc.

thanks

> Facebook
> Fujitsu
> Fusion-IO
> Oracle
> SGI
> Suse
>
> Are there other companies I missed?
>
> Thanks,
> Marc
> --
> "A mouse is a device used to point at the xterm you want to type in" - A.S.R.
> Microsoft is to operating systems ....
>                                       .... what McDonalds is to gourmet cooking
> Home page: http://marc.merlins.org/

Filipe David Manana,

* Re: Which companies contribute to Btrfs?
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2014-04-24 11:39 ` David Sterba
From: David Sterba @ 2014-04-24 11:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marc MERLIN; +Cc: linux-btrfs

On Wed, Apr 23, 2014 at 06:18:34PM -0700, Marc MERLIN wrote:
> I writing slides about btrfs for an upcoming talk (at linuxcon) and I was
> trying to gather a list of companies that contribute code to btrfs.

https://btrfs.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Main_Page

"[...] Jointly developed at Oracle, Red Hat, Fujitsu, Intel, SUSE, STRATO [...]"

> Are there other companies I missed?

STRATO, the guys who wrote scrub, integrity checker, quotas, device stats,
device-replace and portions of send/receive.

* Re: Which companies are using Btrfs in production?
@ 2014-04-24 12:34   ` Austin S. Hemmelgarn
From: Austin S. Hemmelgarn @ 2014-04-24 12:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marc MERLIN, linux-btrfs

On 2014-04-23 21:19, Marc MERLIN wrote:
> Oh while we're at it, are there companies that can say they are using btrfs
> in production?
>
> Marc

Ohio Gravure Technologies is currently preparing to use it on our next
generation of production systems.

* Re: Which companies are using Btrfs in production?
@ 2014-04-24 12:52   ` Tomasz Torcz
From: Tomasz Torcz @ 2014-04-24 12:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marc MERLIN

On Wed, Apr 23, 2014 at 06:19:52PM -0700, Marc MERLIN wrote:
> Oh while we're at it, are there companies that can say they are using btrfs
> in production?

  Jolla is selling smartphones with btrfs.

--
Tomasz Torcz            There exists no separation between gods and men:
xmpp: zdzichubg@chrome.pl   one blends softly casual into the other.

* Re: Which companies contribute to Btrfs?
@ 2014-04-24 12:55   ` Fajar A. Nugraha
From: Fajar A. Nugraha @ 2014-04-24 12:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dsterba, Marc MERLIN, linux-btrfs

On Thu, Apr 24, 2014 at 6:39 PM, David Sterba <dsterba@suse.cz> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 23, 2014 at 06:18:34PM -0700, Marc MERLIN wrote:
>> I writing slides about btrfs for an upcoming talk (at linuxcon) and I was
>> trying to gather a list of companies that contribute code to btrfs.
>
> https://btrfs.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Main_Page
>
> "[...] Jointly developed at Oracle, Red Hat, Fujitsu, Intel, SUSE, STRATO [...]"
>
>> Are there other companies I missed?

The page now says "... Jointly developed at Facebook, Oracle, Red Hat .... " :D

--
Fajar

@ 2014-04-24 13:34   ` Daniel Lee
From: Daniel Lee @ 2014-04-24 13:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marc MERLIN; +Cc: linux-btrfs

On 04/23/2014 06:19 PM, Marc MERLIN wrote:
> Oh while we're at it, are there companies that can say they are using btrfs
> in production?
>
> Marc
Netgear uses BTRFS as the filesystem in their refreshed ReadyNAS line.
They apparently use Oracle's linux distro so I assume they're relying on
them to do most of the heavy lifting as far as support BTRFS and
backporting goes since they're still on 3.0! They also have raid5/6
support so they are probably running BTRFS on top of md.

http://www.netgear.com/images/BTRFS%20on%20ReadyNAS%20OS%206_9May1318-76105.pdf

* Re: Which companies contribute to Btrfs?
@ 2014-04-24 17:07   ` Marc MERLIN
From: Marc MERLIN @ 2014-04-24 17:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Filipe David Manana; +Cc: linux-btrfs

On Thu, Apr 24, 2014 at 11:31:17AM +0100, Filipe David Manana wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 24, 2014 at 2:18 AM, Marc MERLIN <marc@merlins.org> wrote:
> > Howdy,
> >
> > I writing slides about btrfs for an upcoming talk (at linuxcon) and I was
> > trying to gather a list of companies that contribute code to btrfs.
> >
> > What I came up with (sorted alphabetically)
> > Couchbase (CouchDB)
>
> Hi Marc,
>
> If you're listing Couchbase because you noticed I'm one of their
> employees, then you can remove it from the list (I've never seen any
> couchbase mail address or other employees contributing anything to
> btrfs).
> All my contributions are done during my personal time and by my own
> initiative (that's why I only use my personal gmail address for all
> messages to this list and patches).

Understood, thanks for letting me know, and thanks for your
contributions :)

> As an aside, CouchDB is an Apache Software Foundation project,
> completely unrelated to Couchbase. It's unfortunate the company uses
> the term Couch for its name/products too - it confuses a lot of people

Argh, I indeed got confused, thanks for correcting that.

Marc

> -  as one of the ex-founders was the CouchDB creator and it employs
> (and employed more in the past) CouchDB contributors (like me). Both
> databases are very different at several levels: features, goals,
> architecture, implementation, etc.
>
> thanks
>
> > Facebook
> > Fujitsu
> > Fusion-IO
> > Oracle
> > SGI
> > Suse
> >
> > Are there other companies I missed?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Marc
> > --
> > "A mouse is a device used to point at the xterm you want to type in" - A.S.R.
> > Microsoft is to operating systems ....
> >                                       .... what McDonalds is to gourmet cooking
> > Home page: http://marc.merlins.org/
> > --

> Filipe David Manana,

>  Unreasonable men adapt the world to themselves.
>  That's why all progress depends on unreasonable men."

Microsoft is to operating systems ....
Home page: http://marc.merlins.org/                         | PGP 1024R/763BE901

* Re: Which companies are using Btrfs in production?
@ 2014-04-24 21:41     ` Marc MERLIN
From: Marc MERLIN @ 2014-04-24 21:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Lee; +Cc: linux-btrfs

On Thu, Apr 24, 2014 at 06:34:29AM -0700, Daniel Lee wrote:
> On 04/23/2014 06:19 PM, Marc MERLIN wrote:
> > Oh while we're at it, are there companies that can say they are using btrfs
> > in production?
> >
> > Marc
> Netgear uses BTRFS as the filesystem in their refreshed ReadyNAS line.
> They apparently use Oracle's linux distro so I assume they're relying on
> them to do most of the heavy lifting as far as support BTRFS and
> backporting goes since they're still on 3.0! They also have raid5/6
> support so they are probably running BTRFS on top of md.
>
> http://www.netgear.com/images/BTRFS%20on%20ReadyNAS%20OS%206_9May1318-76105.pdf

Thanks for those pointers.

I've created a page where we can add these:
https://btrfs.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Production_Users

From: Marc MERLIN @ 2014-04-24 21:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fajar A. Nugraha; +Cc: dsterba, linux-btrfs

On Thu, Apr 24, 2014 at 07:55:31PM +0700, Fajar A. Nugraha wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 24, 2014 at 6:39 PM, David Sterba <dsterba@suse.cz> wrote:
> > On Wed, Apr 23, 2014 at 06:18:34PM -0700, Marc MERLIN wrote:
> >> I writing slides about btrfs for an upcoming talk (at linuxcon) and I was
> >> trying to gather a list of companies that contribute code to btrfs.
> >
> > https://btrfs.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Main_Page
> >
> > "[...] Jointly developed at Oracle, Red Hat, Fujitsu, Intel, SUSE, STRATO [...]"
> >
> >> Are there other companies I missed?
>
> The page now says "... Jointly developed at Facebook, Oracle, Red Hat .... " :D

I went a step further and made a web page to list contributors here:
https://btrfs.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Contributors

@ 2014-04-24 22:03     ` Justin Maggard
From: Justin Maggard @ 2014-04-24 22:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Lee; +Cc: Marc MERLIN, linux-btrfs

On Thu, Apr 24, 2014 at 6:34 AM, Daniel Lee <longinus00@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 04/23/2014 06:19 PM, Marc MERLIN wrote:
>> Oh while we're at it, are there companies that can say they are using btrfs
>> in production?
>>
>> Marc
> Netgear uses BTRFS as the filesystem in their refreshed ReadyNAS line.
> They apparently use Oracle's linux distro so I assume they're relying on
> them to do most of the heavy lifting as far as support BTRFS and
> backporting goes since they're still on 3.0! They also have raid5/6
> support so they are probably running BTRFS on top of md.

Yes, and any contributions you see coming from me so far, come from
NETGEAR.  I've been using my gmail account because I can't make our
corporate email server leave off the nasty confidentiality legal
disclaimer.

We don't use Oracle's distro.  Our OS is a Debian derivative, but we
have pulled in lots of changes from Oracle UEK and the SUSE SLE11-SP3
kernel tree.  And we do indeed run atop MD.

-Justin

* Re: Which companies are using Btrfs in production?
@ 2014-04-24 23:14       ` Marc MERLIN
From: Marc MERLIN @ 2014-04-24 23:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Justin Maggard; +Cc: Daniel Lee, linux-btrfs

On Thu, Apr 24, 2014 at 03:03:24PM -0700, Justin Maggard wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 24, 2014 at 6:34 AM, Daniel Lee <longinus00@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 04/23/2014 06:19 PM, Marc MERLIN wrote:
> >> Oh while we're at it, are there companies that can say they are using btrfs
> >> in production?
> >>
> >> Marc
> > Netgear uses BTRFS as the filesystem in their refreshed ReadyNAS line.
> > They apparently use Oracle's linux distro so I assume they're relying on
> > them to do most of the heavy lifting as far as support BTRFS and
> > backporting goes since they're still on 3.0! They also have raid5/6
> > support so they are probably running BTRFS on top of md.
> >

> Yes, and any contributions you see coming from me so far, come from
> NETGEAR.  I've been using my gmail account because I can't make our

Thanks.
https://btrfs.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Contributors
Updated :)

and you were already on

@ 2014-04-25 14:47         ` David Sterba
From: David Sterba @ 2014-04-25 14:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marc MERLIN; +Cc: Justin Maggard, Daniel Lee, linux-btrfs, clm

On Thu, Apr 24, 2014 at 04:14:56PM -0700, Marc MERLIN wrote:
> > > Netgear uses BTRFS as the filesystem in their refreshed ReadyNAS line.
> > > They apparently use Oracle's linux distro so I assume they're relying on
> > > them to do most of the heavy lifting as far as support BTRFS and
> > > backporting goes since they're still on 3.0! They also have raid5/6
> > > support so they are probably running BTRFS on top of md.
> > >

> > Yes, and any contributions you see coming from me so far, come from
> > NETGEAR.  I've been using my gmail account because I can't make our
>
> Thanks.
> https://btrfs.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Contributors
> Updated :)

There are lots of contributors with the same small amout of patches
contributed and are not listed there.  This is first time I hear about
Netgear being a contributor and it looks strange to see that name among
the major contributors.

If there's demand to list all the minor contributors, then let's add a
separate section, otherwise I'm going to remove the entry.

This is a sensitive PR topic that I'm normally avoiding, but in this
case I don't see the amount of contributions that would qualify to the
"hall of fame".

* Re: Which companies are using Btrfs in production?
@ 2014-04-25 15:01           ` Chris Mason
From: Chris Mason @ 2014-04-25 15:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dsterba, Marc MERLIN, Justin Maggard, Daniel Lee, linux-btrfs

On 04/25/2014 10:47 AM, David Sterba wrote:

>>> Yes, and any contributions you see coming from me so far, come from
>>> NETGEAR.  I've been using my gmail account because I can't make our
>>
>> Thanks.
>> https://btrfs.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Contributors
>> Updated :)
>
> There are lots of contributors with the same small amout of patches
> contributed and are not listed there.  This is first time I hear about
> Netgear being a contributor and it looks strange to see that name among
> the major contributors.
>
> If there's demand to list all the minor contributors, then let's add a
> separate section, otherwise I'm going to remove the entry.
>
> This is a sensitive PR topic that I'm normally avoiding, but in this
> case I don't see the amount of contributions that would qualify to the
> "hall of fame".

I'm always amazed when I count up the number of people and companies
sending code in.  There really are too many to list, but every talk I
give includes a slide trying to give credit the community.

I'd be happy to see people add themselves to a "we're contributors"
section if they have been part of progs or kernel releases for a year.

Code review, patch submission, and helping users on the list/irc all count.

-chris

* Re: Which companies are using Btrfs in production?
@ 2014-04-25 15:20           ` Marc MERLIN
                               ` (2 more replies)
From: Marc MERLIN @ 2014-04-25 15:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dsterba, Justin Maggard, Daniel Lee, linux-btrfs, clm

On Fri, Apr 25, 2014 at 04:47:04PM +0200, David Sterba wrote:

> > > Yes, and any contributions you see coming from me so far, come from
> > > NETGEAR.  I've been using my gmail account because I can't make our
> >
> > Thanks.
> > https://btrfs.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Contributors
> > Updated :)
>
> There are lots of contributors with the same small amout of patches
> contributed and are not listed there.  This is first time I hear about
> Netgear being a contributor and it looks strange to see that name among
> the major contributors.
>
> If there's demand to list all the minor contributors, then let's add a
> separate section, otherwise I'm going to remove the entry.

Mmmh. So I'm not Jon Corbet who has all those fancy honed scripts + non
trivial time he spends doing this by hand.

That said, my goal was not to say which company gave the most
contributions and try and rank them.
Honestly, right now any company that is using btrfs and contributing to
it is a great thing in my book.
I'm not even a fan of counting number of lines or frequency of patches.
How do you compare someone sending easy cleanup patches vs someone who
spent a month tracking down a file corruption problem no one could find
nor fix, and sends a 3 line patch to fix it in the end?

But eh, I'm just one guy and and it's just my opinion :)

How about we leave that decision with Chris Mason?

@ 2014-04-25 15:32             ` ronnie sahlberg
From: ronnie sahlberg @ 2014-04-25 15:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marc MERLIN; +Cc: dsterba, Justin Maggard, Daniel Lee, Btrfs BTRFS, Chris Mason

On Fri, Apr 25, 2014 at 8:20 AM, Marc MERLIN <marc@merlins.org> wrote:

>> > Thanks.
>> > https://btrfs.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Contributors
>> > Updated :)
>>
>> There are lots of contributors with the same small amout of patches
>> contributed and are not listed there.  This is first time I hear about
>> Netgear being a contributor and it looks strange to see that name among
>> the major contributors.
>>
>> If there's demand to list all the minor contributors, then let's add a
>> separate section, otherwise I'm going to remove the entry.
>
> Mmmh. So I'm not Jon Corbet who has all those fancy honed scripts + non
> trivial time he spends doing this by hand.
>
> That said, my goal was not to say which company gave the most
> contributions and try and rank them.
> Honestly, right now any company that is using btrfs and contributing to
> it is a great thing in my book.
> I'm not even a fan of counting number of lines or frequency of patches.
> How do you compare someone sending easy cleanup patches vs someone who
> spent a month tracking down a file corruption problem no one could find
> nor fix, and sends a 3 line patch to fix it in the end?

+1

For such a small community I think it would be a mistake to have
arbitrary quality or quantity
thresholds for "who deserves to be on the list".

I think you should list everyone. Even if they only sent a single
patch to fix a typo in a comment.
If they sent a patch, then it means they care about the code base and
then they should be on the list.

> But eh, I'm just one guy and and it's just my opinion :)

Me too.

@ 2014-04-28 14:16             ` David Sterba
From: David Sterba @ 2014-04-28 14:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marc MERLIN; +Cc: dsterba, Justin Maggard, Daniel Lee, linux-btrfs, clm

On Fri, Apr 25, 2014 at 08:20:45AM -0700, Marc MERLIN wrote:
> > There are lots of contributors with the same small amout of patches
> > contributed and are not listed there.  This is first time I hear about
> > Netgear being a contributor and it looks strange to see that name among
> > the major contributors.
> >
> > If there's demand to list all the minor contributors, then let's add a
> > separate section, otherwise I'm going to remove the entry.
>
> That said, my goal was not to say which company gave the most
> contributions and try and rank them.
> Honestly, right now any company that is using btrfs and contributing to
> it is a great thing in my book.
> I'm not even a fan of counting number of lines or frequency of patches.
> How do you compare someone sending easy cleanup patches vs someone who
> spent a month tracking down a file corruption problem no one could find
> nor fix, and sends a 3 line patch to fix it in the end?

Patch count itself as a metric does not work, I'm roughly calculating
amount of work spent on contribution in the area of patches, testing,
bugreporting, documentation, community support. For all the companies
listed there is a clear record of these activies, that's what they get
the credit for.

The non-company/community deserve the entry on itself, but I was not
discussing community contributions.

I really like to see random people sending patches and I try to help
them to get patches merged by doing reviews or commenting.

> How about we leave that decision with Chris Mason?

He's been CCed for that purpose and made a statement which I don't
have a slightest problem to agree with:

@ 2014-04-28 15:01             ` Eric Sandeen
From: Eric Sandeen @ 2014-04-28 15:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marc MERLIN, dsterba, Justin Maggard, Daniel Lee, linux-btrfs, clm

On 4/25/14, 10:20 AM, Marc MERLIN wrote:

>>> Thanks.
>>> https://btrfs.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Contributors
>>> Updated :)
>>
>> There are lots of contributors with the same small amout of patches
>> contributed and are not listed there.  This is first time I hear about
>> Netgear being a contributor and it looks strange to see that name among
>> the major contributors.
>>
>> If there's demand to list all the minor contributors, then let's add a
>> separate section, otherwise I'm going to remove the entry.
>
> Mmmh. So I'm not Jon Corbet who has all those fancy honed scripts + non
> trivial time he spends doing this by hand.
>
> That said, my goal was not to say which company gave the most
> contributions and try and rank them.
> Honestly, right now any company that is using btrfs and contributing to
> it is a great thing in my book.
> I'm not even a fan of counting number of lines or frequency of patches.
> How do you compare someone sending easy cleanup patches vs someone who
> spent a month tracking down a file corruption problem no one could find
> nor fix, and sends a 3 line patch to fix it in the end?

Just for the record, I certainly didn't mean that my git patch-counting
example was the be-all and end-all of "contribution accounting" - it's
just one metric of many; not meant to be inclusive, but might help to avoid
missing people or companies who have contributed in this particular way.

-Eric

* Re: Which companies contribute to Btrfs?
                   ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2014-04-28 19:00 ` Jonathan Corbet
From: Jonathan Corbet @ 2014-04-28 19:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marc MERLIN; +Cc: linux-btrfs

On Wed, 23 Apr 2014 18:18:34 -0700
Marc MERLIN <marc@merlins.org> wrote:

> I writing slides about btrfs for an upcoming talk (at linuxcon) and I was
> trying to gather a list of companies that contribute code to btrfs.

So I just ran into this now.  I did a quick gitdm run over the entire btrfs
history in the kernel and came up with this:

	Top changeset contributors by employer
	Oracle                    1249 (33.2%)
	Fujitsu                    613 (16.3%)
	Red Hat                    483 (12.8%)
	Fusion-IO                  296 (7.9%)
	(None)                     288 (7.6%)
	Novell                     203 (5.4%)
	STRATO AG                  152 (4.0%)
	Couchbase                  106 (2.8%)
	(Consultant)                62 (1.6%)
	(Unknown)                   54 (1.4%)
	Intel                       48 (1.3%)
	New Dream Network           36 (1.0%)
	Facebook                    31 (0.8%)
	IBM                         20 (0.5%)
	FOSS Outreach Program for Women   12 (0.3%)
	Google                      12 (0.3%)
	(Academia)                  11 (0.3%)
	Parallels                   11 (0.3%)
	HP                          10 (0.3%)
	Datera Inc.                  5 (0.1%)

I would expect the rankings to change a bit in the near future, if those
slackers at Facebook ever get it in gear...:)

jon

* Re: Which companies contribute to Btrfs?
@ 2014-04-28 21:06   ` Chris Mason
From: Chris Mason @ 2014-04-28 21:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Corbet, Marc MERLIN; +Cc: linux-btrfs

On 04/28/2014 03:00 PM, Jonathan Corbet wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Apr 2014 18:18:34 -0700
> Marc MERLIN <marc@merlins.org> wrote:
>
>> I writing slides about btrfs for an upcoming talk (at linuxcon) and I was
>> trying to gather a list of companies that contribute code to btrfs.
>
> So I just ran into this now.  I did a quick gitdm run over the entire btrfs
> history in the kernel and came up with this:
>
> 	Top changeset contributors by employer
> 	Oracle                    1249 (33.2%)
> 	Fujitsu                    613 (16.3%)
> 	Red Hat                    483 (12.8%)
> 	Fusion-IO                  296 (7.9%)
> 	(None)                     288 (7.6%)
> 	Novell                     203 (5.4%)
> 	STRATO AG                  152 (4.0%)
> 	Couchbase                  106 (2.8%)
> 	(Consultant)                62 (1.6%)
> 	(Unknown)                   54 (1.4%)
> 	Intel                       48 (1.3%)
> 	New Dream Network           36 (1.0%)
> 	Facebook                    31 (0.8%)
> 	IBM                         20 (0.5%)
> 	FOSS Outreach Program for Women   12 (0.3%)
> 	Google                      12 (0.3%)
> 	(Academia)                  11 (0.3%)
> 	Parallels                   11 (0.3%)
> 	HP                          10 (0.3%)
> 	Datera Inc.                  5 (0.1%)
>
> I would expect the rankings to change a bit in the near future, if those
> slackers at Facebook ever get it in gear...:)

Grin, Josef has taken a few weeks off to look after the newly released
Josefv3.

We've got the pool of web servers on btrfs at 800 now, and soon I'm sure
it'll start kicking out some fun bugs.

Once we get the btrfs tier up to 1000, I'll have a second slice of 1000
machines running 3.14 as well (or whatever the current linus rev is).

Those will be btrfs too, I expect the crash recovery code will get quite
a bit of testing.

-chris

* Re: Which companies contribute to Btrfs?
@ 2014-04-29  0:06   ` Chester
From: Chester @ 2014-04-29  0:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Corbet; +Cc: linux-btrfs

On Mon, Apr 28, 2014 at 2:00 PM, Jonathan Corbet <corbet@lwn.net> wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Apr 2014 18:18:34 -0700
> Marc MERLIN <marc@merlins.org> wrote:
>
>> I writing slides about btrfs for an upcoming talk (at linuxcon) and I was
>> trying to gather a list of companies that contribute code to btrfs.
>
> So I just ran into this now.  I did a quick gitdm run over the entire btrfs
> history in the kernel and came up with this:
>
>         Top changeset contributors by employer
>         Oracle                    1249 (33.2%)
>         Fusion-IO                  296 (7.9%)
>         Facebook                    31 (0.8%)

I wonder how much of this is actually due to Chris Mason changing his
email address.

* Re: Which companies contribute to Btrfs?
@ 2014-04-29  0:08     ` Marc MERLIN
From: Marc MERLIN @ 2014-04-29  0:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chester; +Cc: Jonathan Corbet, linux-btrfs

On Mon, Apr 28, 2014 at 07:06:08PM -0500, Chester wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 28, 2014 at 2:00 PM, Jonathan Corbet <corbet@lwn.net> wrote:
> > On Wed, 23 Apr 2014 18:18:34 -0700
> > Marc MERLIN <marc@merlins.org> wrote:
> >
> >> I writing slides about btrfs for an upcoming talk (at linuxcon) and I was
> >> trying to gather a list of companies that contribute code to btrfs.
> >
> > So I just ran into this now.  I did a quick gitdm run over the entire btrfs
> > history in the kernel and came up with this:
> >
> >         Top changeset contributors by employer
> >         Oracle                    1249 (33.2%)
> >         Fusion-IO                  296 (7.9%)
> >         Facebook                    31 (0.8%)
>
> I wonder how much of this is actually due to Chris Mason changing his
> email address.

You can buy domain names on the open market.
You can also buy developer Emails and you get a free developer along with
the Email you just bought ;-)

@ 2014-04-29  0:55     ` Chris Mason
From: Chris Mason @ 2014-04-29  0:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chester, Jonathan Corbet; +Cc: linux-btrfs

On 04/28/2014 08:06 PM, Chester wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 28, 2014 at 2:00 PM, Jonathan Corbet <corbet@lwn.net> wrote:
>> On Wed, 23 Apr 2014 18:18:34 -0700
>> Marc MERLIN <marc@merlins.org> wrote:
>>
>>> I writing slides about btrfs for an upcoming talk (at linuxcon) and I was
>>> trying to gather a list of companies that contribute code to btrfs.
>>
>> So I just ran into this now.  I did a quick gitdm run over the entire btrfs
>> history in the kernel and came up with this:
>>
>>          Top changeset contributors by employer
>>          Oracle                    1249 (33.2%)
>>          Fusion-IO                  296 (7.9%)
>>          Facebook                    31 (0.8%)
>
> I wonder how much of this is actually due to Chris Mason changing his
> email address.

Most of those are really Josef, but it's the right idea.

-chris