* LKML: Dropped mail fanout?
@ 2014-05-06 22:51 David Matlack
From: David Matlack @ 2014-05-06 22:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Hey fellow kernelnewbies.

I sent a patch series to LKML last night from my work email address. I'm also
subscribed to LKML from my personal email address (this one)... but I haven't
received the patches on my personal account yet.

The patch series is here: https://lkml.org/lkml/2014/5/6/1. So it was delivered
to LKML. But maybe the fanout failed. The messages are _not_ in my spam or
trash folders. I don't think they were delivered at all.

If anyone would be willing to give a Yes/No if they received the patches on
LKML that would be a big help for debugging this. Also, if anyone has any other
tips let me know :)

Thanks!
--David

* LKML: Dropped mail fanout?
@ 2014-05-06 23:36 ` Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
From: Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu @ 2014-05-06 23:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Tue, 06 May 2014 15:51:15 -0700, David Matlack said:

> The patch series is here: https://lkml.org/lkml/2014/5/6/1. So it was delivered
> to LKML. But maybe the fanout failed. The messages are _not_ in my spam or
> trash folders. I don't think they were delivered at all.

If you posted it with your gmail account, be aware that GMail does duplicate
suppression based on the Message-ID: header.  The gotcha is that if you posted
it via GMail, then GMail saw that Message-ID: on the way *out* (when it copied
it to your outbox), so the copy coming back from the list gets suppressed and
doesn't make it to your inbox, spam, or trash folders.
> I sent a patch series to LKML last night from my work email address. I'm also
> subscribed to LKML from my personal email address (this one)... but I haven't
> received the patches on my personal account yet.
>
> The patch series is here: https://lkml.org/lkml/2014/5/6/1. So it was delivered
> to LKML. But maybe the fanout failed. The messages are _not_ in my spam or
> trash folders. I don't think they were delivered at all.
>
> If anyone would be willing to give a Yes/No if they received the patches on
> LKML that would be a big help for debugging this. Also, if anyone has any other
> tips let me know :)

They came in here:

http://www.spinics.net/lists/kernel/msg1736536.html

* LKML: Dropped mail fanout?
@ 2014-05-07  1:53   ` David Matlack
From: David Matlack @ 2014-05-07  1:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Tue, May 6, 2014 at 4:36 PM,  <Valdis.Kletnieks@vt.edu> wrote:

> If you posted it with your gmail account, be aware that GMail does duplicate
> suppression based on the Message-ID: header.

I actually posted it from my work address (not gmail) and I see it in my outbox
there.

I guess it's an issue with my gmail account. But I'm curious if any folks with
@gmail.com addresses did receive the patches.

--David

* LKML: Dropped mail fanout?
@ 2014-05-07  5:44     ` Martin Kepplinger
From: Martin Kepplinger @ 2014-05-07  5:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Am 2014-05-07 03:53, schrieb David Matlack:
> On Tue, May 6, 2014 at 4:36 PM,  <Valdis.Kletnieks@vt.edu> wrote:
>>
>> If you posted it with your gmail account, be aware that GMail does duplicate
>> suppression based on the Message-ID: header.
>
> I actually posted it from my work address (not gmail) and I see it in my outbox
> there.
>
> I guess it's an issue with my gmail account. But I'm curious if any folks with
> @gmail.com addresses did receive the patches.
>
> --David

It doesn't have anything to do with gmail but fwiw I got unsubscribed
from lkml a few days ago. I didn't get any mail anymore, gut suspicious,
unsubscribed and got the answer that I wasn't subscribed at all.
Resubscribed and it's fine again. still weird.

* LKML: Dropped mail fanout?
@ 2014-05-07  7:28       ` Srivatsa Bhat
From: Srivatsa Bhat @ 2014-05-07  7:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Wed, May 7, 2014 at 11:14 AM, Martin Kepplinger <martink@posteo.de>wrote:

> Am 2014-05-07 03:53, schrieb David Matlack:
> > On Tue, May 6, 2014 at 4:36 PM,  <Valdis.Kletnieks@vt.edu> wrote:
> >>
> >> If you posted it with your gmail account, be aware that GMail does
> duplicate
> >> suppression based on the Message-ID: header.
> >
> > I actually posted it from my work address (not gmail) and I see it in my
> outbox
> > there.
> >
> > I guess it's an issue with my gmail account. But I'm curious if any
> folks with
> > @gmail.com addresses did receive the patches.
> >
> > --David
>
> It doesn't have anything to do with gmail...

Actually, it does seem to have something to do with gmail. I have
subscribed to
LKML from 2 different email ids: one from gmail and another from a work
email id.
I see your patches in the work account but not in my gmail account. Weird...

Regards,
Srivatsa S. Bhat
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* LKML: Dropped mail fanout?
@ 2014-05-07  7:47         ` Jack Wang
From: Jack Wang @ 2014-05-07  7:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On 05/07/2014 09:28 AM, Srivatsa Bhat wrote:

> On Wed, May 7, 2014 at 11:14 AM, Martin Kepplinger <martink@posteo.de
> <mailto:martink@posteo.de>> wrote:
>
>     Am 2014-05-07 03:53, schrieb David Matlack:
>     > On Tue, May 6, 2014 at 4:36 PM,  <Valdis.Kletnieks@vt.edu
>     <mailto:Valdis.Kletnieks@vt.edu>> wrote:
>     >>
>     >> If you posted it with your gmail account, be aware that GMail
>     does duplicate
>     >> suppression based on the Message-ID: header.
>     >
>     > I actually posted it from my work address (not gmail) and I see it
>     in my outbox
>     > there.
>     >
>     > I guess it's an issue with my gmail account. But I'm curious if
>     any folks with
>     > @gmail.com <http://gmail.com> addresses did receive the patches.
>     >
>     > --David
>
>     It doesn't have anything to do with gmail...
>

> Actually, it does seem to have something to do with gmail. I have
> subscribed to
> LKML from 2 different email ids: one from gmail and another from a work
> email id.
> I see your patches in the work account but not in my gmail account. Weird...
>
> Regards,
> Srivatsa S. Bhat
For gmail,
I saw yesterday, one email was delayed for 1 hours among others patches
in same patch set.

Regards,
Jack

* LKML: Dropped mail fanout?
@ 2014-05-07 20:23           ` David Matlack
From: David Matlack @ 2014-05-07 20:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Wed, May 7, 2014 at 12:47 AM, Jack Wang <xjtuwjp@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 05/07/2014 09:28 AM, Srivatsa Bhat wrote:
>>
>> Actually, it does seem to have something to do with gmail. I have
>> subscribed to
>> LKML from 2 different email ids: one from gmail and another from a work
>> email id.
>> I see your patches in the work account but not in my gmail account. Weird...
>>
>> Regards,
>> Srivatsa S. Bhat
> For gmail,
> I saw yesterday, one email was delayed for 1 hours among others patches
> in same patch set.
>
> Regards,
> Jack

Well thanks for checking guys. My suspicion is it's related to the recent DMARC
changes:

http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ietf/current/msg87789.html

--David

* LKML: Dropped mail fanout?
@ 2014-05-07 20:38             ` Greg Freemyer
From: Greg Freemyer @ 2014-05-07 20:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Wed, May 7, 2014 at 4:23 PM, David Matlack <matlackdavid@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, May 7, 2014 at 12:47 AM, Jack Wang <xjtuwjp@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 05/07/2014 09:28 AM, Srivatsa Bhat wrote:
>>>
>>> Actually, it does seem to have something to do with gmail. I have
>>> subscribed to
>>> LKML from 2 different email ids: one from gmail and another from a work
>>> email id.
>>> I see your patches in the work account but not in my gmail account. Weird...
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Srivatsa S. Bhat
>> For gmail,
>> I saw yesterday, one email was delayed for 1 hours among others patches
>> in same patch set.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Jack
>
> Well thanks for checking guys. My suspicion is it's related to the recent DMARC
> changes:
>
> http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ietf/current/msg87789.html
>
> --David

That thread says it is explicitly only the @google.com addresses that
are effected.

@gmail.com is not.

Greg

* LKML: Dropped mail fanout?
@ 2014-05-07 21:19               ` David Matlack
From: David Matlack @ 2014-05-07 21:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Wed, May 7, 2014 at 1:38 PM, Greg Freemyer <greg.freemyer@gmail.com> wrote:

> That thread says it is explicitly only the @google.com addresses that
> are effected.

Yes, I sent the patches from @google.com (though this is just hobby work for
me).

> @gmail.com is not.

gmail.com implements DMARC on the receive end. The idea being, gmail sees that
Sender != From, and silently drops the message (theoretically).

I originally thought I did something wrong with git send-email. But it looks
like this is a Google issue.

--David

* LKML: Dropped mail fanout?
@ 2014-05-07 22:05                 ` Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
From: Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu @ 2014-05-07 22:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Wed, 07 May 2014 14:19:20 -0700, David Matlack said:

> gmail.com implements DMARC on the receive end. The idea being, gmail sees that
> Sender != From, and silently drops the message (theoretically).

For those playing along at home who don't wear e-mail admin hats, the problem
is that several 800 pound gorillas have deployed DMARC tags that basically
say "If this mail didn't come from us, feel free to toss it out".

Unfortunately, if somebody posts mail from one of these gorilla companies to
a mailing list, it gets to list recpients tagged "sender = mailinglist", which
doesn't match the From.  So if the recipients are on mail services that check
DMARC at the receipt end, their mail server will reject the mail.

And then hilarity ensues. :)