* Re: [Powertop] Fix out of tree builds [Was: PowerTOP v2.6.1 released]
@ 2014-06-10  7:41 Joerg Mayer
From: Joerg Mayer @ 2014-06-10  7:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: powertop

[Resend, this time with the script inlined as Intel's virus checker rejected
the .sh attachment]

Hello Alexandra,

On Mon, Jun 09, 2014 at 04:14:50PM -0700, Alexandra Yates wrote:
> > On Wed, Jun 04, 2014 at 02:20:18PM -0700, Alexandra Yates wrote:
> >> Unfortunately the patches you sent don't fix the issue.  Here is how to
> >> reproduced the issue:
> >> The error still points that /bin/bash: ./csstoh.sh: No such file or
> >> directory
> I still get the error, even after following your steps.  You may have
> other commits I don't.

I don't have any other patches applied (the only differences result from
my patches and some regenerated files):

jmayer(a)egg:~/work/power/powertop/git(master)> git status --ignored
#       modified:   po/ca.po           <==== Automagically regenerated
#       modified:   po/cs_CZ.po        <==== (only timestamps and
#       modified:   po/de_DE.po        <==== line numbers differ. The
#       modified:   po/en_GB.po        <==== differing line numbers
#       modified:   po/en_US.po        <==== indicate that these files
#       modified:   po/es_ES.po        <==== should be regenerated before
#       modified:   po/hu_HU.po        <==== doing a distribution as well)
#       modified:   po/id_ID.po
#       modified:   po/nl_NL.po
#       modified:   po/powertop.pot
#       modified:   po/zh_TW.po
#       modified:   src/Makefile.am    <==== My changes

And git diff for src/Makefile.am only shows my two changes.

>From the top of your git directory please run
grep -r \\./csstoh.sh .
If something is found, delete it. Even better (assuming you have no extra
directories in your source tree that are not checked in and not worth
keeping): Please run "git clean -dfX" from the top of your git tree.
Verify that the changes are applied ("git diff src/Makefile.am").
Then rebuild.

I'm very sure that my tree is clean as I do development in branches:
jmayer(a)egg:~/work/power/powertop/git(master)> git branch
* master
  out-of-tree-build-fix
  tuning-packaging-fix
I tested my patches on top of master to make sure I work on a pristine
source tree.

I'm a) quite sure it's something in your setup/workflow and b) quite
determined to find out what it going wrong there if you are willing to
let me :)

OK, I've written a small script that tries to insure that things are build
correctly - please try (note that it will run "git clean -dfX").

Thanks
   Jörg
--
Joerg Mayer                                           <jmayer(a)loplof.de>

============================= build-release.sh ============================
#!/bin/sh

# Terminate script on error
set -e

if [ ! -d .git ]; then
  echo
  echo "Please run from top of git source tree"
  echo
  exit 1
fi

echo
echo "=========== Cleaning up source tree ================="
echo
git clean -dfX

echo
echo "=========== List of modified files =================="
echo
git status --ignored

echo
echo "=========== Setting up build environmnet ============"
echo
./autogen.sh >/dev/null
./configure >/dev/null

echo
echo "=========== Packaging source ========================"
echo
make dist >/dev/null

echo
echo "=========== Checking packaged source ================"
echo
make distcheck >/dev/null

echo
echo " All good for release"
echo

exit 0

* Re: [Powertop] Fix out of tree builds [Was: PowerTOP v2.6.1 released]
@ 2014-06-10 18:30 Alexandra Yates
From: Alexandra Yates @ 2014-06-10 18:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: powertop

> [...]
>> ./autogen.sh >/dev/null
>> ./configure >/dev/null
>>
>> echo
>> echo "=========== Packaging source ========================"
>> echo
>> make dist >/dev/null
>>
>> echo
>> echo "=========== Checking packaged source ================"
>> echo
>> make distcheck >/dev/null
>>
>> echo
>> echo " All good for release"
>> echo
>>
>> exit 0
>>

> You are correct my friend! my local repo apparently was "clean", I also
> use branches for dev.  However, each time I will apply the patches I will
> get the make clean; make; errors even after your handy dandy commands.  I
> pulled a fresh version of the repo, applied patches and that worked very

Bizarre, it worked on my local box, but as soon as I get the tar ball into
another box to make; make clean; make. The error comes back.  I didn't
think I needed to ./autogen.sh ./configure each time I do a make clean on
a release.

Thank you,
Alexandra.

* Re: [Powertop] Fix out of tree builds [Was: PowerTOP v2.6.1 released]
@ 2014-06-10 17:32 Alexandra Yates
From: Alexandra Yates @ 2014-06-10 17:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: powertop

Hi Joerg,

@ 2014-06-10  7:29 Joerg Mayer
From: Joerg Mayer @ 2014-06-10  7:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: powertop

Hello Alexandra,

On Mon, Jun 09, 2014 at 04:14:50PM -0700, Alexandra Yates wrote:
> > On Wed, Jun 04, 2014 at 02:20:18PM -0700, Alexandra Yates wrote:
> >> Unfortunately the patches you sent don't fix the issue.  Here is how to
> >> reproduced the issue:
> >> The error still points that /bin/bash: ./csstoh.sh: No such file or
> >> directory
> I still get the error, even after following your steps.  You may have
> other commits I don't.

I don't have any other patches applied (the only differences result from
my patches and some regenerated files):

jmayer(a)egg:~/work/power/powertop/git(master)> git status --ignored
#       modified:   po/ca.po           <==== Automagically regenerated
#       modified:   po/cs_CZ.po        <==== (only timestamps and
#       modified:   po/de_DE.po        <==== line numbers differ. The
#       modified:   po/en_GB.po        <==== differing line numbers
#       modified:   po/en_US.po        <==== indicate that these files
#       modified:   po/es_ES.po        <==== should be regenerated before
#       modified:   po/hu_HU.po        <==== doing a distribution as well)
#       modified:   po/id_ID.po
#       modified:   po/nl_NL.po
#       modified:   po/powertop.pot
#       modified:   po/zh_TW.po
#       modified:   src/Makefile.am    <==== My changes

And git diff for src/Makefile.am only shows my two changes.

>From the top of your git directory please run
grep -r \\./csstoh.sh .
If something is found, delete it. Even better (assuming you have no extra
directories in your source tree that are not checked in and not worth
keeping): Please run "git clean -dfX" from the top of your git tree.
Verify that the changes are applied ("git diff src/Makefile.am").
Then rebuild.

I'm very sure that my tree is clean as I do development in branches:
jmayer(a)egg:~/work/power/powertop/git(master)> git branch
* master
  out-of-tree-build-fix
  tuning-packaging-fix
I tested my patches on top of master to make sure I work on a pristine
source tree.

I'm a) quite sure it's something in your setup/workflow and b) quite
determined to find out what it going wrong there if you are willing to
let me :)

OK, I've written a small script that tries to insure that things are build
correctly - please try (note that it will run "git clean -dfX").

Thanks
   Jörg
--
Joerg Mayer                                           <jmayer(a)loplof.de>

[-- Attachment #2: build-release.sh --]
[-- Type: application/x-sh, Size: 683 bytes --]

* Re: [Powertop] Fix out of tree builds [Was: PowerTOP v2.6.1 released]
@ 2014-06-09 23:14 Alexandra Yates
From: Alexandra Yates @ 2014-06-09 23:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: powertop

Joerg,

@ 2014-06-04 23:39 Joerg Mayer
From: Joerg Mayer @ 2014-06-04 23:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: powertop

Hallo  Alexandra,

@ 2014-06-04 21:20 Alexandra Yates
From: Alexandra Yates @ 2014-06-04 21:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: powertop

Hi Joerg,

Unfortunately the patches you sent don't fix the issue.  Here is how to
reproduced the issue:
1- Applied your patches.
2- Generated an new dist/tarball,
3- Untared on different location
4- Executed: ./autogen; ./configure; make; make clean; make

The error still points that /bin/bash: ./csstoh.sh: No such file or directory

===== Complete output ======

make  all-recursive
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/magd/Downloads/powertop-2.6.1'
Making all in traceevent
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/magd/Downloads/powertop-2.6.1/traceevent'
  CC     event-parse.lo
  CC     parse-filter.lo
  CC     parse-utils.lo
  CC     trace-seq.lo
  CCLD   libtraceevnet.la
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/magd/Downloads/powertop-2.6.1/traceevent'
Making all in src
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/magd/Downloads/powertop-2.6.1/src'
/bin/bash ./csstoh.sh ./powertop.css css.h
/bin/bash: ./csstoh.sh: No such file or directory
make[2]: *** [css.h] Error 127
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/magd/Downloads/powertop-2.6.1/src'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/magd/Downloads/powertop-2.6.1'
make: *** [all] Error 2

@ 2014-06-01  7:51 Joerg Mayer
From: Joerg Mayer @ 2014-06-01  7:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: powertop