* Transaction commit: none (default)
@ 2014-06-14 16:05 Marc MERLIN
From: Marc MERLIN @ 2014-06-14 16:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-btrfs

Taking snapshots is now output this in addition of the snapshot
operation.

Transaction commit: none (default)

1) Is that expected/normal? It looks kind of spamming/useless to me?
2) If it's useful, what's the use I'm not getting?

Thanks,
Marc
Microsoft is to operating systems ....
Home page: http://marc.merlins.org/                         | PGP 1024R/763BE901

* Re: Transaction commit: none (default)
@ 2014-06-16  1:35 ` Wang Shilong
From: Wang Shilong @ 2014-06-16  1:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marc MERLIN; +Cc: linux-btrfs

On 06/15/2014 12:05 AM, Marc MERLIN wrote:
> Taking snapshots is now output this in addition of the snapshot
> operation.
>
> Transaction commit: none (default)
>
> 1) Is that expected/normal? It looks kind of spamming/useless to me?
> 2) If it's useful, what's the use I'm not getting?
Addressed a issue that subvolumes reappear after deletetion
if poweroff happen.

http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-btrfs/msg29547.html

@ 2014-06-16  1:47   ` Marc MERLIN
From: Marc MERLIN @ 2014-06-16  1:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wang Shilong; +Cc: linux-btrfs

On Mon, Jun 16, 2014 at 09:35:23AM +0800, Wang Shilong wrote:
> On 06/15/2014 12:05 AM, Marc MERLIN wrote:
> >Taking snapshots is now output this in addition of the snapshot
> >operation.
> >
> >Transaction commit: none (default)
> >
> >1) Is that expected/normal? It looks kind of spamming/useless to me?
> >2) If it's useful, what's the use I'm not getting?
> Addressed a issue that subvolumes reappear after deletetion
> if poweroff happen.
>
> http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-btrfs/msg29547.html

I see, thank you for the pointer.
In the case of my script, it's console spam that I wish I could make go
away, but grep -v will do that for me :)

If it annoys other people, maybe having a -q (quiet) that removes this
message would be useful?

@ 2014-06-16  7:06     ` Holger Hoffstätte
From: Holger Hoffstätte @ 2014-06-16  7:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-btrfs

On Sun, 15 Jun 2014 18:47:39 -0700, Marc MERLIN wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 16, 2014 at 09:35:23AM +0800, Wang Shilong wrote:
>> On 06/15/2014 12:05 AM, Marc MERLIN wrote:
>> >Taking snapshots is now output this in addition of the snapshot
>> >operation.
>> >
>> >Transaction commit: none (default)
>> >
>> >1) Is that expected/normal? It looks kind of spamming/useless to me?
>> >2) If it's useful, what's the use I'm not getting?
>> Addressed a issue that subvolumes reappear after deletetion if poweroff
>> happen.
>>
>> http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-btrfs/msg29547.html
>
> I see, thank you for the pointer.
> In the case of my script, it's console spam that I wish I could make go
> away, but grep -v will do that for me :)
>
> If it annoys other people, maybe having a -q (quiet) that removes this
> message would be useful?

IMHO it should be the reverse: be quiet by default and require -v, just
as more explicit behaviour also requires additional options.
With default options I expect default behaviour. Telling me that the
default behaviour happened is just noise.

cheers
Holger

* Re: Transaction commit: none (default)
@ 2014-06-16  7:09       ` Wang Shilong
From: Wang Shilong @ 2014-06-16  7:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Holger Hoffstätte; +Cc: linux-btrfs, Marc MERLIN, dsterba@suse.cz Sterba

On 06/16/2014 03:06 PM, Holger Hoffstätte wrote:
> On Sun, 15 Jun 2014 18:47:39 -0700, Marc MERLIN wrote:

>>> Addressed a issue that subvolumes reappear after deletetion if poweroff
>>> happen.
>>>
>>> http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-btrfs/msg29547.html
>> I see, thank you for the pointer.
>> In the case of my script, it's console spam that I wish I could make go
>> away, but grep -v will do that for me :)
>>
>> If it annoys other people, maybe having a -q (quiet) that removes this
>> message would be useful?
> IMHO it should be the reverse: be quiet by default and require -v, just
> as more explicit behaviour also requires additional options.
> With default options I expect default behaviour. Telling me that the
> default behaviour happened is just noise.
Fair point, Another question is that current default output has been there.
Let's Cc David, and see what is his opinion.

@ 2014-06-17 18:15         ` Marc MERLIN
From: Marc MERLIN @ 2014-06-17 18:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Holger Hoffstätte, Wang Shilong; +Cc: linux-btrfs, dsterba@suse.cz Sterba

On Mon, Jun 16, 2014 at 07:06:08AM +0000, Holger Hoffstätte wrote:
> > If it annoys other people, maybe having a -q (quiet) that removes this
> > message would be useful?
>
> IMHO it should be the reverse: be quiet by default and require -v, just
> as more explicit behaviour also requires additional options.
> With default options I expect default behaviour. Telling me that the
> default behaviour happened is just noise.

So that's my general thought by default too :) but
1) I wanted to be nice :)
2) More generally I would have missed this new feature without the output
and I thought it might not be unreasonable to show it to draw attention to
it. But at the same time, I wouldn't complain if it were quiet by default.

On Mon, Jun 16, 2014 at 03:09:53PM +0800, Wang Shilong wrote:
> >as more explicit behaviour also requires additional options.
> >With default options I expect default behaviour. Telling me that the
> >default behaviour happened is just noise.
>
> Fair point, Another question is that current default output has been there.
> Let's Cc David, and see what is his opinion.

Thanks for taking the feedback.

@ 2014-06-18 14:19         ` David Sterba
From: David Sterba @ 2014-06-18 14:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wang Shilong
  Cc: Holger Hoffstätte, linux-btrfs, Marc MERLIN, dsterba@suse.cz Sterba

> >>I see, thank you for the pointer.
> >>In the case of my script, it's console spam that I wish I could make go
> >>away, but grep -v will do that for me :)
> >>
> >>If it annoys other people, maybe having a -q (quiet) that removes this
> >>message would be useful?
> >IMHO it should be the reverse: be quiet by default and require -v, just
> >as more explicit behaviour also requires additional options.
> >With default options I expect default behaviour. Telling me that the
> >default behaviour happened is just noise.
> Fair point, Another question is that current default output has been there.
> Let's Cc David, and see what is his opinion.

I agree the way it's now (2 lines of output per 1 subvolume) is not
good, but I'd like to keep the information about the commit mode, even
for the default one. So would something like this work?

current:
Delete subvolume '/mnt/subvol'

new:
Delete subvolume (no commit): '/mnt/subvol'

or
Delete subvolume (commit): '/mnt/subvol'

Where the modes of commit (none, each) would stick to each line, and the
'commit after last' would say 'commit' for the last one. Ie. no separate
line that mentions the commit mode globally.

* Re: Transaction commit: none (default)
@ 2014-06-18 14:42           ` Marc MERLIN
From: Marc MERLIN @ 2014-06-18 14:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wang Shilong, Holger Hoffstätte, linux-btrfs,
	dsterba@suse.cz Sterba

On Wed, Jun 18, 2014 at 04:19:32PM +0200, David Sterba wrote:

> > >IMHO it should be the reverse: be quiet by default and require -v, just
> > >as more explicit behaviour also requires additional options.
> > >With default options I expect default behaviour. Telling me that the
> > >default behaviour happened is just noise.
> > Fair point, Another question is that current default output has been there.
> > Let's Cc David, and see what is his opinion.
>
> I agree the way it's now (2 lines of output per 1 subvolume) is not
> good, but I'd like to keep the information about the commit mode, even
> for the default one. So would something like this work?
>
> current:
> Delete subvolume '/mnt/subvol'
>
> new:
> Delete subvolume (no commit): '/mnt/subvol'
>
> or
> Delete subvolume (commit): '/mnt/subvol'

I like this. The old line telling me it did what I just asked it to was kind
of redundant (rm doesn't tell me "I just deleted the file you just asked me
to" unless I use -v, and neither does rmdir).

So making the single line of output more useful would alleviate that a bit.
Although in general and in the future a command should indeed not be verbose
and reply "I just did what yo asked me to" :)
(just for the record,

Note that my crontabs already have stuff like this. I really wish I didn't
need them, and hope I don't have to extend the egrep line:
btrfs-snaps weekly 2 varlocalspace | egrep -v '(Create a snapshot of|Delete subvolume)'