* Chainloadig from grub2 to isolinux
@ 2014-07-02  9:46 Beeblebrox
From: Beeblebrox @ 2014-07-02  9:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: grub-devel

Is there a method to chainload from grub2 -> grub_older
and grub2 -> isolinux?

Most live-cd's use an isolinux configuration with many menu items
embedded in the isolinux layer.

Instead of spending time trying to guess at these, a chainload boot
would be most helpful.

Thanks and Regards.

--
FreeBSD_amd64_11-Current_RadeonKMS

* Re: Chainloadig from grub2 to isolinux
@ 2014-07-02  9:48 ` Vladimir 'phcoder' Serbinenko
From: Vladimir 'phcoder' Serbinenko @ 2014-07-02  9:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The development of GRUB 2

GRUB has isolinux config parser.

@ 2014-07-02 13:37 ` Beeblebrox
From: Beeblebrox @ 2014-07-02 13:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: grub-devel

> GRUB has isolinux config parser.

Is there any link to usage with examples? The Grub manual does not
mention it & all I could find was from osdetect.cfg:
syslinux_configfile -i /isolinux/isolinux.cfg

Which still isn't much to go on.
--

@ 2014-07-02 13:46   ` Vladimir 'phcoder' Serbinenko
From: Vladimir 'phcoder' Serbinenko @ 2014-07-02 13:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The development of GRUB 2

On 2 Jul 2014 15:38, "Beeblebrox" <zaphod@berentweb.com> wrote:

> > GRUB has isolinux config parser.
>
> Is there any link to usage with examples? The Grub manual does not
> mention it & all I could find was from osdetect.cfg:
> syslinux_configfile -i /isolinux/isolinux.cfg

syslinux_configfile --help
> Which still isn't much to go on.
> --
> FreeBSD_amd64_11-Current_RadeonKMS

* Re: Chainloadig from grub2 to isolinux
@ 2014-07-02 14:52   ` Beeblebrox
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Beeblebrox @ 2014-07-02 14:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: grub-devel

I got it partially working. The background image changes to Debian, but
it displays "press any key to continue.." then drops back to the main
Grub menu. So what am I doing wrong here?

menuentry "Debian-Jesse-i386-lxde" --class gnu-linux --class gnu
--class os {
  set thtp="http,192.168.2.100"
  set isofile=($thtp)"/pub/tftp/debian/debian-testing-i386-lxde-CD-1.iso"
  search --set=root --file $isofile
  loopback loop $isofile
  set root=(loop)
  syslinux_configfile -i (loop)/isolinux/isolinux.cfg -r (loop)
  #linux (loop)/install.386/vmlinuz
  #initrd (loop)/install.386/initrd.gz  }

Thanks a lot & Regards.

* Re: Chainloadig from grub2 to isolinux
@ 2014-07-02 15:00     ` Vladimir 'phcoder' Serbinenko
From: Vladimir 'phcoder' Serbinenko @ 2014-07-02 15:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The development of GRUB 2

On 2 Jul 2014 16:53, "Beeblebrox" <zaphod@berentweb.com> wrote:

> I got it partially working. The background image changes to Debian, but
> it displays "press any key to continue.." then drops back to the main
> Grub menu. So what am I doing wrong here?
>
> menuentry "Debian-Jesse-i386-lxde" --class gnu-linux --class gnu
> --class os {
>   set thtp="http,192.168.2.100"
>   set isofile=($thtp)"/pub/tftp/debian/debian-testing-i386-lxde-CD-1.iso"
>   search --set=root --file $isofile
>   loopback loop $isofile
>   set root=(loop)
>   syslinux_configfile -i (loop)/isolinux/isolinux.cfg -r (loop)

This is not going to work because debian doesn't support netloopback boot
AFAIK.

@ 2014-07-08 13:39     ` Raif S. Berent
From: Raif S. Berent @ 2014-07-08 13:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: grub-devel

Not to beat a dead horse, but I'd like to clarify a few issues that
seem to be not working.

1. I compiled and installed Grub_trunk on an old laptop, then copied
the debian.iso to a folder under (hd0,gpt*). Modified the grub.cfg and
tried to use "syslinux_configfile -i (loop)/isolinux/isolinux.cfg -r
(loop)" I got the exact same result as PXE booting (No CD-ROM). From
what I can tell, debian needs the loopback module from the iso loaded
and the iso to be loop-mounted as a second device in order to get this
working (have not asked the debian folk).

2. Most Debian-based iso's fail to properly boot with loopback over
PXE, including the likes of GParted and Inquisitor. They mostly fail
with kernel panic: can't mount root.

3. MEMDISK: There were several programs I can boot from my USB setup by
including syslinux memdisk. These now fail due to memdisk error - for
example (<...> means options I have tried): menuentry "HDT: hardware
diagnostics tool" { set root="http,192.168.2.100" set
memfile="/pub/tftp/rescue/rscd/memdisk" set
isofile="/pub/tftp/rescue/rscd/hdt.img" linux16  ($root)$memfile
<keeppxe floppy raw safeint> initrd16 ($root)$isofile	}
With PXE, memdisk may need to be replaced with gpxelinux.0, but that
will require using Grub's broken pxechain. Is there a better way to do
this? syslinux apparently can also use memdisk for iso booting KERNEL
memdisk  \  APPEND iso initrd=http://192.168.2.100/path/isofile.iso

4. I think it would be a great idea if known grub.cfg entries could be
listed in the official Grub-wiki. The distro maintainers might also be
convinced or willing to post their code and solutions regarding iso
loopback from HDD/USB/PXE variations. I don't know, Just an idea...

Regards.

* Re: Chainloadig from grub2 to isolinux
@ 2014-07-08 15:47       ` Andrey Borzenkov
From: Andrey Borzenkov @ 2014-07-08 15:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The development of GNU GRUB; +Cc: rsb

В Tue, 8 Jul 2014 16:39:41 +0300
"Raif S. Berent" <rsb@berentweb.com> пишет:

> Not to beat a dead horse, but I'd like to clarify a few issues that
> seem to be not working.
>
> 1. I compiled and installed Grub_trunk on an old laptop, then copied
> the debian.iso to a folder under (hd0,gpt*). Modified the grub.cfg and
> tried to use "syslinux_configfile -i (loop)/isolinux/isolinux.cfg -r
> (loop)" I got the exact same result as PXE booting (No CD-ROM). From
> what I can tell, debian needs the loopback module from the iso loaded
> and the iso to be loop-mounted as a second device in order to get this
> working (have not asked the debian folk).
>
> 2. Most Debian-based iso's fail to properly boot with loopback over
> PXE, including the likes of GParted and Inquisitor. They mostly fail
> with kernel panic: can't mount root.

If I understand correctly, you expect linux to be able to access grub
(loop) device. That's not going to work. Once grub loads linux and
transfers control to it, (loop) no more exists.

> 3. MEMDISK: There were several programs I can boot from my USB setup by
> including syslinux memdisk. These now fail due to memdisk error - for
> example (<...> means options I have tried): menuentry "HDT: hardware
> diagnostics tool" { set root="http,192.168.2.100" set
> memfile="/pub/tftp/rescue/rscd/memdisk" set
> isofile="/pub/tftp/rescue/rscd/hdt.img" linux16  ($root)$memfile
> <keeppxe floppy raw safeint> initrd16 ($root)$isofile	}
> With PXE, memdisk may need to be replaced with gpxelinux.0, but that
> will require using Grub's broken pxechain. Is there a better way to do
> this? syslinux apparently can also use memdisk for iso booting KERNEL
> memdisk  \  APPEND iso initrd=http://192.168.2.100/path/isofile.iso

I briefly tested memdisk from syslinux 4.04 with hdt.img 0.5.2 under
grub master head and it works. I did in in qemu if it makes difference.
Files were local but I do not expect any difference (when memdisk gets
control, both files are loaded in memory already).

@ 2014-07-08 22:22       ` Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko
From: Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko @ 2014-07-08 22:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The development of GNU GRUB

On 08.07.2014 15:39, Raif S. Berent wrote:
> Not to beat a dead horse, but I'd like to clarify a few issues that
> seem to be not working.

You're confused as to what GRUB's responsibility is.
> 1. I compiled and installed Grub_trunk on an old laptop, then copied
> the debian.iso to a folder under (hd0,gpt*). Modified the grub.cfg and
> tried to use "syslinux_configfile -i (loop)/isolinux/isolinux.cfg -r
> (loop)" I got the exact same result as PXE booting (No CD-ROM). From
> what I can tell, debian needs the loopback module from the iso loaded
> and the iso to be loop-mounted as a second device in order to get this
> working (have not asked the debian folk).
Debian can't access GRUB's loopback. It has to find iso itself using
special parameters. Use /boot/grub/loopback.cfg for those. Don't forget
to set and export iso_path.

> 2. Most Debian-based iso's fail to properly boot with loopback over
> PXE, including the likes of GParted and Inquisitor. They mostly fail
> with kernel panic: can't mount root.

Ditto.

> 3. MEMDISK: There were several programs I can boot from my USB setup by
> including syslinux memdisk. These now fail due to memdisk error - for
> example (<...> means options I have tried): menuentry "HDT: hardware
> diagnostics tool" { set root="http,192.168.2.100" set
> memfile="/pub/tftp/rescue/rscd/memdisk" set
> isofile="/pub/tftp/rescue/rscd/hdt.img" linux16  ($root)$memfile
> <keeppxe floppy raw safeint> initrd16 ($root)$isofile	}
> With PXE, memdisk may need to be replaced with gpxelinux.0, but that
> will require using Grub's broken pxechain. Is there a better way to do
> this? syslinux apparently can also use memdisk for iso booting KERNEL
> memdisk  \  APPEND iso initrd=http://192.168.2.100/path/isofile.iso

memdisk isn't good idea for anything over few MiB or anything that uses
own drivers. Again Linux will not be able to access this memdisk.
> 4. I think it would be a great idea if known grub.cfg entries could be
> listed in the official Grub-wiki.
Nobody volunteered to host an "official wiki".

* Re: Chainloadig from grub2 to isolinux
@ 2014-07-21 19:18     ` Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko
From: Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko @ 2014-07-21 19:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: grub-devel

On 02.07.2014 16:52, Beeblebrox wrote:
> I got it partially working. The background image changes to Debian, but
> it displays "press any key to continue.." then drops back to the main
> Grub menu. So what am I doing wrong here?
>
> menuentry "Debian-Jesse-i386-lxde" --class gnu-linux --class gnu
> --class os {
>   set thtp="http,192.168.2.100"
>   set isofile=($thtp)"/pub/tftp/debian/debian-testing-i386-lxde-CD-1.iso"
>   search --set=root --file $isofile
>   loopback loop $isofile
>   set root=(loop)
>   syslinux_configfile -i (loop)/isolinux/isolinux.cfg -r (loop)
>   #linux (loop)/install.386/vmlinuz
>   #initrd (loop)/install.386/initrd.gz  }

Debian has no support of booting over image on a network server. It's a
problem with initrd scripts, not GRUB

@ 2014-07-21 21:37       ` Ben Hildred
From: Ben Hildred @ 2014-07-21 21:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The development of GNU GRUB, phcoder, rsb

> Debian has no support of booting over image on a network server. It's a
> problem with initrd scripts, not GRUB

This is not entirely true (actually almost entirely wrong). Debain has no
provisions for booting iso images from a server. The netboot images work
just fine. (including live images)

Ben Hildred
Automation Support Services
303 815 6721

* Re: Chainloadig from grub2 to isolinux
@ 2014-07-21 21:41         ` Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko
From: Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko @ 2014-07-21 21:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ben Hildred, The development of GNU GRUB, rsb

On 21.07.2014 23:37, Ben Hildred wrote:
>     Debian has no support of booting over image on a network server. It's a
>     problem with initrd scripts, not GRUB
>
> This is not entirely true (actually almost entirely wrong). Debain has
> no provisions for booting iso images from a server. The netboot images
> work just fine. (including live images)
I specifically meant booting iso images from server. That's what
original reporter tried to do.

@ 2014-07-21 21:55         ` Raif S. Berent
From: Raif S. Berent @ 2014-07-21 21:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ben Hildred; +Cc: The development of GNU GRUB

> Debian has no provisions for booting iso images from a server.
The regular live iso also fails to boot from HDD with loopback. As
posted somewhere along the thread, it seems that debian's loopback
kernel module must be extracted and placed on the HDD. Then one must
interrupt the install, drop to a shell, load debian's loopback module,
mount the debian iso with loopback and exit the shell. Only then will
the iso-loopback install work.

I'm not claiming to be correct - it's just what I read and the iso
file's behavior seems to support the theory.

> The netboot images work just fine. (including live images)
Yes, but this is a "minimal image" as I understand and additional
binaries (for example if you want an lxde desktop) will be downloaded.
That's fine for a single install, but requires re-download of same
packages should one aim to install on several systems.

If there is one, I have not come across a desktop (gnome/kde/lxde) live
image+netboot iso file in the repository.

* Re: Chainloadig from grub2 to isolinux
@ 2014-07-21 22:22           ` Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko
From: Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko @ 2014-07-21 22:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: grub-devel

On 21.07.2014 23:55, Raif S. Berent wrote:
>> Debian has no provisions for booting iso images from a server.
> The regular live iso also fails to boot from HDD with loopback. As
> posted somewhere along the thread, it seems that debian's loopback
> kernel module must be extracted and placed on the HDD. Then one must
> interrupt the install, drop to a shell, load debian's loopback module,
> mount the debian iso with loopback and exit the shell. Only then will
> the iso-loopback install work.
>
> I'm not claiming to be correct - it's just what I read and the iso
> file's behavior seems to support the theory.

Most of the thread arises from misunderstanding of bootloader and initrd
role. It created loads of wrong statements.
There is no sane way to use isolinux cfg from iso simply because it's
not designed to handle iso scenario, only real CD one. If you use
loopback.cfg as intended it will all work.

@ 2014-07-22  4:24           ` Ben Hildred
From: Ben Hildred @ 2014-07-22  4:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Raif S. Berent; +Cc: The development of GNU GRUB

On Mon, Jul 21, 2014 at 3:55 PM, Raif S. Berent <rsb@berentweb.com> wrote:

> <snip>
> > The netboot images work just fine. (including live images)
> Yes, but this is a "minimal image" as I understand and additional
> binaries (for example if you want an lxde desktop) will be downloaded.
> That's fine for a single install, but requires re-download of same
> packages should one aim to install on several systems.
>
> yes,but a local repo takes care of that. (and that repo can be the
contents of the cd)

> If there is one, I have not come across a desktop (gnome/kde/lxde) live
> image+netboot iso file in the repository.

you are right that there are no live+netboot/install images (iso or other),
but since grub has great menu capability, you can offer either netinstall
or live (which can be created from any iso created by debian live by
extracting the kernel, initrd, cmdline and rootfs (I have done it with a
gparted iso))

@ 2014-07-22 10:37             ` tuxracer
From: tuxracer @ 2014-07-22 10:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The development of GNU GRUB; +Cc: Ben Hildred

The esentially thing that goes allways forgotten; It gives no way ( or no really good documentation) , to chainloading iso files. It is a monster, to extract each live.iso then copy the kernel and the initrd, then find out the correct parameters and loopmout it. Why not a "real chainload" where it is possible to only say there is/are my iso/s go and make entry/s from it all, in a similar way that it works with os-prober.
Ok os-prober is also "shitty" because it fails in 100% of all when i install more than one system with a commonly used boot for the systems(but this is another topic)
My feeling about grub2 is that it can do extremely a lot of things, but not one of it, it can do perfect. The ideas behind  all together are very good, but the way to do it is so complex and bad documented that it is not really useful. i have allways the feeling one esential principle of developing  software was going forgotten by the authors of grub2. The "KISS" is missing
Keep It Simple and Stupid.
This is why i use grub1 for rpoductive use, and grub2 allways only to play a little bit with it, and then find out, it is still not final usable

@ 2014-07-22 11:04               ` Vladimir 'phcoder' Serbinenko
From: Vladimir 'phcoder' Serbinenko @ 2014-07-22 11:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The development of GRUB 2

On 22 Jul 2014 12:37, <tuxracer@hispeed.ch> wrote:

> The esentially thing that goes allways forgotten; It gives no way ( or no
really good documentation) , to chainloading iso files. It is a monster, to
extract each live.iso then copy the kernel and the initrd, then find out
the correct parameters and loopmout it. Why not a "real chainload" where it
is possible to only say there is/are my iso/s
There is no such thing as an iso chainload. Clarify your terms.
> Ok os-prober is also "shitty" because it fails in 100%
Os-prober is not even part of grub. The setup recommended by us is in
manual.
> My feeling about grub2 is that it can do extremely a lot of things, but
not one of it, it can do perfect. The ideas behind  all together are very
good, but the way to do it is so complex and bad documented that it is not
really useful. i have allways the feeling one esential principle of
developing  software was going forgotten by the authors of grub2. The
"KISS" is missing
> Keep It Simple and Stupid.
> This is why i use grub1 for rpoductive use, and grub2 allways only to
play a little bit with it, and then find out, it is still not final usable
If you have concrete change proposals tell so.
Also you can use easy configs with grub2, you don't have to use all
features for a simple setup.

@ 2014-07-22 12:44                 ` tuxracer
From: tuxracer @ 2014-07-22 12:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The development of GNU GRUB; +Cc: Vladimir 'phcoder' Serbinenko

>If you have concrete change proposals tell so.
>Also you can use easy configs with grub2, you don't have to use all features for a simple setup.

The problem  with grub2 is not that a really simple config does not work. The problem is, that ALL what is a little bit more than a simple config is not or not really good documeted, so it looks like a not understandable black box, with no chance to do anything what it shoud be good for; to manage advanced boot configurations with a REALLY EASY USE so my first proposal is made it easier to use, or give step by step documentation so  that even a dummy can do more than a stupid single boot configuration without running the gauntlet through the net, and yet not find the neccesary answers what to do for case x or y or somewhat else.
I say it again. Made the use of advanced configurations a  lot more easier and better working
A good example is that os-prober is a good idea, that not really works. I have tested it with nearly all linux distros it gives on earth, and i have found out that if i give no boot partition for all systems i have installed it works, but a simple multiboot configuration with a seperated boot partition is impossiple, because the prober fails
My next proposal is that other people also had said
chainloading iso, without the needs of extracting kernel and initrd and loopmounting it
Simple for the user is the keyword, the goal to reach

@ 2014-08-07 14:52             ` Beeblebrox
From: Beeblebrox @ 2014-08-07 14:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: The development of GNU GRUB

>> yes,but a local repo takes care of that. (and that repo can be the contents of the cd)
>> extracting the kernel, initrd, cmdline and rootfs (I have done it with a gparted iso))

All that work is just so not worth it. I'd rather do something else with my time.

>> It is a monster, to extract each live.iso then copy the kernel and the initrd, then find out the correct parameters and loopmout it.

My thoughts exactly, tuxracer. It's why I made the suggestion (post 7 of this thread) for a wiki page showing grub.cfg entries using loopback for each individual distro. It would be incumbent upon the distro maintainers to test and submit the proper loopback menu entry, since they are the ones maintaining the distro (did someone say concrete proposals?)

>> There is no sane way to use isolinux cfg from iso simply because it's not designed to handle iso scenario, only real CD one.

I'm happy to have that cleared up...

>> If you use loopback.cfg as intended it will all work.
loopback.cfg contains the linux/initrd entries relevant to each distro's iso (or at least that's what the wiki page shows). That's exactly the problem - each iso has different settings for linux/initrd entries, and if you get them wrong, it really does not matter what file the entry was placed in.

Also as confirmed by ben, it's apparently not going to work on a number of Debian-based iso's. Usually the solution is to include casper in the CD to make this happen AFAIK.

May I suggest one more thing? I have "mail delivery" turned off for this list, and I must remember to check the mail-list web page in order to follow my threads. A solution would be to use nabble, where one can mark the threads to be followed. Posts to those threads will then be automatically delivered via email. There's about a half hour delay between a mail list and delivery to nabble, but it's better than a delay of several days.

Regards.

* Re: Chainloadig from grub2 to isolinux
@ 2014-08-07 17:59               ` adrian15
From: adrian15 @ 2014-08-07 17:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The development of GNU GRUB

El 07/08/14 16:52, Beeblebrox escribió:
>>> If you use loopback.cfg as intended it will all work.
> loopback.cfg contains the linux/initrd entries relevant to each distro's iso (or at least that's what the wiki page shows). That's exactly the problem - each iso has different settings for linux/initrd entries, and if you get them wrong, it really does not matter what file the entry was placed in.
>
> Also as confirmed by ben, it's apparently not going to work on a number of Debian-based iso's. Usually the solution is to include casper in the CD to make this happen AFAIK.

   As part of us releasing Rescatux as an isolinux based distro (before
it was a super grub2 disk (or grub2) based distro) I am supposed to work
with Debian Live people so that any Debian live cd has a default working
loopback.cfg file.

   Not sure if I'm going to do it in the next Rescatux stable release
but definitively is in my TODO list.

   Probably the most intelligent workaround for this problem is doing an
isolinux.cfg, pxelinux.cfg or syslinux.cfg parser for grub2 in a similar
way to the menu.lst parser.

   As pxelinux.cfg has now some submenues I'm not sure that would work
too good. I, personally, don't think it's worth the effort to implement
such a parser but if you want it so much please implement it.

   I, personally, going to advocate for the loopback.cfg method.

adrian15
--
Support free software. Donate to Super Grub Disk. Apoya el software
libre. Dona a Super Grub Disk. http://www.supergrubdisk.org/donate/

* Re: Chainloadig from grub2 to isolinux
@ 2014-09-21 17:05                 ` Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko
From: Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko @ 2014-09-21 17:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The development of GNU GRUB