* [Qemu-devel] disk image: self-organized format or raw file
@ 2014-08-11 23:38 吴兴博
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: 吴兴博 @ 2014-08-11 23:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: qemu-devel

Hello,

  The introduction in the wiki page present several advantages of qcow2
[1]. But I'm a little confused. I really appreciate if any one can give me
some help on this :).

 (1) Currently the raw format doesn't support COW. In other words, a raw
image cannot have a backing file. COW depends on the mapping table on which
we it knows whether each block/cluster is present (has been modified) in
the current image file. Modern file-systems like xfs/ext4/etc. provide
extent/block allocation information to user-level. Like what 'filefrag'
does with ioctl 'FIBMAP' and 'FIEMAP'. I guess the raw file driver (maybe
block/raw-posix.c) may obtain correct 'present information about blocks.
However this information may be limited to be aligned with file allocation
unit size. Maybe it's just because a raw file has no space to store the
"backing file name"? I don't think this could hinder the useful feature.

 (2) As most popular filesystems support delay-allocation/on-demand
allocation/holes, whatever, a raw image is also thin provisioned as other
formats. It doesn't consume much disk space by storing useless zeros.
However, I don't know if there is any concern on whether fragmented extents
would become a burden of the host filesystem.

 (3) For compression and encryption, I'm not an export on these topics at
all but I think these features may not be vital to a image format as both
guest/host's filesystem can also provide similar functionality.

 (4) I don't have too much understanding on how snapshot works but I think
theoretically it would be using the techniques no more than that used in
COW and backing file.

After all these thoughts, I still found no reason to not using a 'raw' file
image (engineering efforts in Qemu should not count as we don't ask  for
more features from outside world).
I would be very sorry if my ignorance wasted your time.