* [Buildroot] HTTP access to git repository outdated
@ 2014-08-25 10:51 Richard Braun
From: Richard Braun @ 2014-08-25 10:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hello,

It looks like git update-server-info isn't run automatically since
getting the repository through http gives a slightly outdated tree.

--
Richard Braun

* [Buildroot] HTTP access to git repository outdated
@ 2014-08-25 10:53 ` Baruch Siach
From: Baruch Siach @ 2014-08-25 10:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hi Richard,

On Mon, Aug 25, 2014 at 12:51:19PM +0200, Richard Braun wrote:
> It looks like git update-server-info isn't run automatically since
> getting the repository through http gives a slightly outdated tree.

This is a known problem. Try adding or removing the trailing slash from the
git repository URL.

baruch

* [Buildroot] HTTP access to git repository outdated
@ 2014-08-25 11:13   ` Richard Braun
From: Richard Braun @ 2014-08-25 11:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

On Mon, Aug 25, 2014 at 01:53:29PM +0300, Baruch Siach wrote:
> This is a known problem. Try adding or removing the trailing slash from the
> git repository URL.

This makes no difference on my machine. Is there any intent to fix it at
least ? I personally don't mind the issue too much if it doesn't last.
Others might simply not have a choice.

--
Richard Braun

* [Buildroot] HTTP access to git repository outdated
@ 2014-08-25 11:51     ` Mike Zick
From: Mike Zick @ 2014-08-25 11:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

On Mon, 25 Aug 2014 13:13:43 +0200
Richard Braun <rbraun@sceen.net> wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 25, 2014 at 01:53:29PM +0300, Baruch Siach wrote:
> > This is a known problem. Try adding or removing the trailing slash
> > from the git repository URL.
>
> This makes no difference on my machine. Is there any intent to fix it
> at least ? I personally don't mind the issue too much if it doesn't
> last. Others might simply not have a choice.

If you are posting about git.buildroot.net - - -

Then:
http://git.buildroot.net/buildroot "master" is 4 days old

And:
http://git.buildroot.net/buildroot/ "master" is 30 hours old

Same, same, known problem.

Check your browser after you try each "view" - your browser may
be trying to "help" you by removing the '/' regardless of what
you actually entered.

- - - -

Note: http servers **should** re-direct from /directory to /directory/
but this one does not and it is a "managed" server.
The hosting providers have not been able to find out "why" for
quite some time now.

Mike

* [Buildroot] HTTP access to git repository outdated
@ 2014-08-25 12:58       ` Thomas De Schampheleire
From: Thomas De Schampheleire @ 2014-08-25 12:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

On Mon, Aug 25, 2014 at 1:51 PM, Mike Zick <minimod@morethan.org> wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Aug 2014 13:13:43 +0200
> Richard Braun <rbraun@sceen.net> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Aug 25, 2014 at 01:53:29PM +0300, Baruch Siach wrote:
>> > This is a known problem. Try adding or removing the trailing slash
>> > from the git repository URL.
>>
>> This makes no difference on my machine. Is there any intent to fix it
>> at least ? I personally don't mind the issue too much if it doesn't
>> last. Others might simply not have a choice.
>>

> If you are posting about git.buildroot.net - - -
>
> Then:
> http://git.buildroot.net/buildroot "master" is 4 days old
>
> And:
> http://git.buildroot.net/buildroot/ "master" is 30 hours old
>
> Same, same, known problem.
>
> Check your browser after you try each "view" - your browser may
> be trying to "help" you by removing the '/' regardless of what
> you actually entered.
>
> - - - -
>
> Note: http servers **should** re-direct from /directory to /directory/
> but this one does not and it is a "managed" server.
> The hosting providers have not been able to find out "why" for
> quite some time now.

Peter, can we escalate this further or request once more to investigate this?

'managed' is not really the right word if one is not able to find out
why a slash in a URL makes a difference.

Best regards,
Thomas

* [Buildroot] HTTP access to git repository outdated
@ 2014-08-25 14:00   ` Thomas Petazzoni
From: Thomas Petazzoni @ 2014-08-25 14:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Dear Baruch Siach,

On Mon, 25 Aug 2014 13:53:29 +0300, Baruch Siach wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 25, 2014 at 12:51:19PM +0200, Richard Braun wrote:
> > It looks like git update-server-info isn't run automatically since
> > getting the repository through http gives a slightly outdated tree.
>
> This is a known problem. Try adding or removing the trailing slash from the
> git repository URL.

Completely separate issue.

The problem with the http/git difference is that when I push some
changes to the official repository, git update-server-info is not
executed due to some permission issues. So the http side of things only
gets resynced the next time Peter pushes something.

Since I'm the last one to have pushed some stuff.

The last commit available from the http:// repo was pushed by Peter
(f67e7ba06f5f00dc9153ad364932092692458704 package/gutenprint: replaces
-static with -static-libtool-libs).

Best regards,

Thomas
--
Thomas Petazzoni, CTO, Free Electrons
http://free-electrons.com

* [Buildroot] HTTP access to git repository outdated
@ 2014-08-25 14:11     ` Peter Korsgaard
From: Peter Korsgaard @ 2014-08-25 14:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

 > Dear Baruch Siach,
 > On Mon, 25 Aug 2014 13:53:29 +0300, Baruch Siach wrote:

 >> On Mon, Aug 25, 2014 at 12:51:19PM +0200, Richard Braun wrote:
 >> > It looks like git update-server-info isn't run automatically since
 >> > getting the repository through http gives a slightly outdated tree.
 >>
 >> This is a known problem. Try adding or removing the trailing slash from the
 >> git repository URL.

 > Completely separate issue.

 > The problem with the http/git difference is that when I push some
 > changes to the official repository, git update-server-info is not
 > executed due to some permission issues. So the http side of things only
 > gets resynced the next time Peter pushes something.

 > Since I'm the last one to have pushed some stuff.

 > The last commit available from the http:// repo was pushed by Peter
 > (f67e7ba06f5f00dc9153ad364932092692458704 package/gutenprint: replaces
 > -static with -static-libtool-libs).

I'll have a look at the permission issue / notify the osuosl guys so
this gets fixed.

--
Bye, Peter Korsgaard