* Re: Kvaser USB CAN II support in Linux Kernel
       [not found] <CAG+qKUtVvJ2RZC+FzzSU91-fSu01nFK1T+_BVE2ytP=VuOc+ag@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2014-08-26 12:19 ` Olivier Sobrie
From: Olivier Sobrie @ 2014-08-26 12:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeremy Conners; +Cc: mkl, pgarnero, linux-can, socketcan

Hi Jeremy,

On Mon, Aug 25, 2014 at 02:27:15PM -0700, Jeremy Conners wrote:
> Hello gentlemen,
>
> I've been working on a project recently with an embedded linux device that
> needs to interface with a J1939/N2K bus.  For initial bring-up, I'm using a
> Kvaser USB CAN II device.  I recently found this thread (http://
> comments.gmane.org/gmane.network.socketcan.user/1445) that was very helpful to
> get the kernel to recognize the device and properly create the can0/1 devices.
>  Where can I join the discussion/mailing list as it seems to have been shutdown
> or moved recently?  I also may be able to help contribute to the discussion and
> /or help with additional work on this driver as I have a vested interest in
> getting this all running.

to discuss such things.

Concerning the support for your device, as Pierre stated in the thread,
there are two families of Kvaser devices: "leaf" and "usbII".
Currently only the "leaf" family is supported by the driver in the kernel.
Pierre did a copy of kvaser_usb.c and adapted it to make it work with work
_only_ "usbII" devices. He sent the adapted driver as an attachment
(kvaser_usb2.c).

If you compare the two drivers (kvaser_usb2.c and kvaser_usb.c), you will
see that there are not a lot of differences between the two. I think
the best would be to adapt kvaser_usb.c to support both "leaf" and "usbII"
devices.
I've one such device at home but I have not had the time yet to have a look
at this... So if you want to adapt the driver, you're welcome :-)

Kind regards,

--
Olivier

only message in thread, other threads:[~2014-08-26 12:20 UTC | newest]